Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ego of Impeachment
The Ego of Impeachment
I did vote for President Obama.

I did not (and will not) vote for President Trump.

So tell me - why are the Dems going through with an impeachment that has virtually zero chance of passing the GOP majority Senate?

You are a fool if you expect anything other than a party line vote.

The ONLY reason I can see for this monumentally wasted effort is that the Dem leadership is so egotistical that they actually believe they can convince GOP members of Congress to join their holy crusade.

Is President Trump a clownish, immoral huckster that is a better suited for a circus midway rather than the White House?

Absolutely.

But-

There are more productive ways to prove a point.
RE: The Ego of Impeachment
Agreed. It’s completely irrelevant and going absolutely nowhere. It’s like when a baseball team is mathematically eliminated but they still have to play the games.
(December 10, 2019 at 8:11 am)onlinebiker Wrote: I did vote for President Obama.

So tell me - why are the Dems going through with an impeachment that has virtually zero chance of passing the GOP majority Senate?

The ONLY reason I can see for this monumentally wasted effort is that the Dem leadership is so egotistical that they actually believe they can convince GOP members of Congress to join their holy crusade.

Is President Trump a clownish, immoral huckster that is a better suited for a circus midway rather than the White House?

Absolutely.

But-

I can think of another reason.

This is a pretty calculating move on Pelosi's part to energize Democratic voters next year.  When Trump is acquitted in the Senate, he's going to take it as a sign that he can do whatever he wants, which is going to enrage people who might otherwise have stayed home.  It's also going to piss off the 12% of Republicans who want Trump removed, so they may stay at home, or vote for a longshot Republican.  In this scenario, it makes it somewhat more likely that Trump will lose next year and the Senate will flip.

It makes sense if you realize that the goal isn't, necessarily, to remove Trump from office.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 10, 2019 at 8:11 am)onlinebiker Wrote: I did vote for President Obama.

Absolutely.

But-

He committed a crime .Weather he's thrust from office or not is irrelevant. Weather it effects the 2020 election is irrelevant. It has to be done .
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(December 10, 2019 at 9:06 am)SUNGULA Wrote:

Absolutely.

But-

He committed a crime .Weather he's thrust from office or not is irrelevant. Weather it effects the 2020 election is irrelevant. It has to be done .

Uh huh.....

Keep telling yourself that.
The Dems dgaf about crime. It’s an ego thing like the thread title says.
(December 10, 2019 at 8:35 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Absolutely.

But-

I can think of another reason.

This is a pretty calculating move on Pelosi's part to energize Democratic voters next year.  When Trump is acquitted in the Senate, he's going to take it as a sign that he can do whatever he wants, which is going to enrage people who might otherwise have stayed home.  It's also going to piss off the 12% of Republicans who want Trump removed, so they may stay at home, or vote for a longshot Republican.  In this scenario, it makes it somewhat more likely that Trump will lose next year and the Senate will flip.

It makes sense if you realize that the goal isn't, necessarily, to remove Trump from office.

Boru

There is a lot of thought that it could go exactly 180 ° of that and cost them the election.

I would bet on that outcome.
(December 10, 2019 at 9:26 am)onlinebiker Wrote:
(December 10, 2019 at 8:35 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I can think of another reason.

Boru

There is a lot of thought that it could go exactly 180 ° of that and cost them the election.

I wouldn't.  Trump's behaviour plays to his base, and to his base only.  The more egregious that behaviour (and once his acquitted, that behaviour will become worse),  the sterner will be the opposition.  Given recent shifts in the electorate, Trump's base won't be enough to get him reelected, and he's never shown the slightest interest in trying to expand that base.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 10, 2019 at 9:50 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 10, 2019 at 9:26 am)onlinebiker Wrote: There is a lot of thought that it could go exactly 180 ° of that and cost them the election.

I wouldn't.  Trump's behaviour plays to his base, and to his base only.  The more egregious that behaviour (and once his acquitted, that behaviour will become worse),  the sterner will be the opposition.  Given recent shifts in the electorate, Trump's base won't be enough to get him reelected, and he's never shown the slightest interest in trying to expand that base.

Boru

You may be right.

But you should never underestimate the stupidity of party loyalists.

They will vote for the worst possible candidate rather than let "those other guys" in office.

Proof?

The last election.
Speaking as an ousider I don't see a need for it so close to the next elections. I read that it might energize those agaisnt trump, but the contrary is also true. It may make his base even more fierce.

How such an idiot ever stood a chance and indeed got the office is beyond me. Confusedhrugs:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Biden Impeachment onlinebiker 32 1638 November 8, 2020 at 10:55 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Explain the impeachment to me Nay_Sayer 23 2498 January 4, 2020 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dems announce articles of impeachment against Trump Rev. Rye 16 1407 December 18, 2019 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Impeachment Update onlinebiker 50 3524 December 13, 2019 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Pelosi announces impeachment investigation. onlinebiker 41 4943 October 7, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Figbash
  The Downside of Impeachment onlinebiker 48 4553 February 3, 2019 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Why keep a vice president around, who was appointed by someone worthy of impeachment? Chad32 26 3563 December 9, 2017 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Impeachment process in the United States Joods 18 3168 October 31, 2017 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Larry Flynt offers $10M for information leading to Trump's Impeachment Divinity 8 1980 October 16, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Government By A Fragile Ego Minimalist 11 2937 August 23, 2017 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: vorlon13