Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 1, 2024, 11:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christianity is heading for a full allegorization
RE: Christianity is heading for a full allegorization
(January 18, 2022 at 12:10 am)GrandizerII Wrote:
(January 17, 2022 at 8:48 pm)polymath257 Wrote: Well, I disagree with Chalmers on a number of points. For example, i don't see philosophical zombies as being coherent.

Can I hear the argument for that?

Well, let's consider what Chalmers proposed. Imagine a conscious person. Then imagine another being that is physically identical in every way with that conscious person. The question is whether it is coherent to say the construct is not conscious. I don't believe it is.

For example, if the conscious person waxes eloquent about their experience of the color red, so will the zombie. If the conscious person goes into a long discussion about their qualia, so will the zombie. if the conscious person acknowledges Mary might have learned something when she saw red, so would the zombie. In every single physical situation, the two will be *exactly* the same in how they respond.

And no, I don't think it is possible for that to occur without the 'zombie' actually being conscious. At some point in some way, there would be something where a non-conscious being would react differently than a conscious one and *that* would be a physical difference between the two.

Quote:
Quote:But, I also don't think that there is any need to go beyond the correspondences between neural correlates and conscious states. Those correspondences *are* the explanation of conscious  states, And if there is a way of translating neural behavior and conscious states, that linkage is all that is required to explain consciousness.

Establishing correspondences alone doesn't provide the full picture. There's still something missing here. You may be personally satisfied with such an account, but it doesn't mean there's not something missing here that demands an answer.

I'm curious what you think is still missing.
Quote:
Quote:I no more have to give a mechanism for the connection than I have to give a mechanism linking charged particles and electric fields. Having the correlation *is* the explanation.

Again, I disagree. Like I said earlier, correlation isn't the full explanation.

That said, maybe this isn't too much of a problem in this case since physicists can perhaps logically conceive of ways that particles cause fields, and they just haven't/can't establish this scientifically.

No, there is no 'logically conceiving how particles cause fields'. Whenever we have a certain type of particle, we have afield of a certain type. This is universal. There is no 'mechanism' proposed. There is nothing that isn't established scientifically. There is simply a universal correlation: particles and fields always appear together.
That is what can be tested and that is what the theories are based upon.

Quote:In the case of consciousness, because we're talking about a switch from the physical to something that seems to be not physical (it may still be physical but it nevertheless "feels" bizarre and funny), there is more demand for an explanation of how that switch works. In other words, there is concern that phenomenological consciousness may not be in line with strict physicalism/materialism.

And I'm saying that if we get to the point that we can read minds by looking at neural activity, where we can induce conscious states by stimulating neurons in the right way, and where we have a universal correlation between neural acitvities of certain types and conscious states, then we *have* the causal link. There is nothing more left to explain.

I suspect that the desire is for some sort of 'mechanism'. That, I believe, is a deep philosophical mistake. We cannot detect causality. What we can detect is correlation. And certain types of correlation we *call* causality. That is what it *means* to say X causes Y.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christianity is heading for a full allegorization - by polymath257 - January 18, 2022 at 11:00 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17622 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Tell All Book Says Pat Robertson Full of Shit Minimalist 12 3555 September 29, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Atheist73
  No Surprise, Here. Xtians Are Full of Shit. Minimalist 5 1201 August 4, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6830 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Heaven is full of tapeworms Brakeman 15 4551 August 13, 2015 at 10:23 am
Last Post: orangebox21
  This holy water thing is full of shit! Esquilax 35 12125 March 20, 2015 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8519 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Russian antisuicide forum which is full of shit feeling 6 2382 December 18, 2013 at 4:17 am
Last Post: feeling
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18332 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  My debate in Christian Forums in full swing greneknight 99 39089 September 17, 2012 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: System of Solace