Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 4:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question to Theists About the Source of Morality
RE: Question to Theists About the Source of Morality
Too true, it's a point I've been stuck on before.

Even if it made any sort of sense that there really is some "objective morality", then it's of no use because every theist reports it to be something different. So every theist is using their own subjective distortion of this objective morality, and for us atheists, we have billions of people all saying, "No, mine is the real objective morality!". Even a cursory glance over the religious text shows that "moderate" theists do not follow the bulk of what it actually says. Thankfully!

So it's of no practical use, even if it's somehow real. To just look for trends and figure it out for ourselves is again subjective and what we do anyway.

The idea that God wants there to be objective morality, but then programmed us all to have our own different ideas of morality, makes him out to be either incompetent or someone that enjoys the arguments this causes.

This is the problem with making up excuses for why supernatural explanations don't actually account for what we see in reality. It requires assuming weird things about God and making excuses for him, which ends up making him look evil and/or an idiot.

I do understand the desire for there to be a "right answer" about everything, and that the idea that we have to figure out for ourselves what we think is best can be uncomfortable. But our desire for there to be a right answer doesn't mean there is one. Ultimately, God is often like a parent that is looked to in order to be the final arbiter to solve squabbles. But (in my opinion) God is just a reflection of ourselves (hence each theist describes him differently) and we are the arbiters. We have to work together, instead of claiming to have ultimate authority that we are right. If we have good reasons for our morality, then "because a book says so" is irrelevant.

Respect to Deidre for admitting that it's ultimately subjective!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Messages In This Thread
RE: Question to Theists About the Source of Morality - by robvalue - January 6, 2016 at 1:40 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Two-Source Hypthothesis LinuxGal 2 341 September 4, 2023 at 9:11 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Question to theists: When to take the bible literally? T.J. 22 1890 November 26, 2021 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question to Theists? kartronic 10 2178 May 30, 2019 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Bibe Study 2: Questionable Morality Rhondazvous 30 2892 May 27, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q
  Christian morality delusions tackattack 87 9173 November 27, 2018 at 8:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  New way: Open Source Christianity Born in Iran. A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 28 4389 September 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The truth of Christianity's source pgardner2358 3 787 June 9, 2018 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  The innate source of religion pgardner2358 0 516 June 9, 2018 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: pgardner2358
  A serious question for theists dyresand 35 5044 November 12, 2016 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon
  Ethics question for theists - serious - looking for opinions not argument. drfuzzy 36 4859 September 27, 2016 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy