Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 1:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe.
RE: Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe.
(May 17, 2016 at 8:53 am)Drich Wrote:
(May 16, 2016 at 3:11 pm)Emjay Wrote: Okay Drich, you win. Enjoy it and commence strutting. I have no specific citations to offer you. The best I can do is point you towards the main book I learnt all of this from and which the closest thing I've got to a Bible... the book that changed my life: Computational Explorations In Cognitive Neuroscience
Then book chapter and verse in your 'bible' please and a link to it.
Quote:But to truly understand what I'm talking about you'd pretty much have to read the whole thing and actually take it in. So the best I can offer is an attempt at a summary and this post from another thread -
If that's the case then wouldn't your/one's extrapolation Completely depend on a 'bias' to come to the specific conclusion you did? Otherwise one could point to a chapter or even a few paragraphs that a given precept being discussed hinges on... If however one has to read a whole book or have specialized training that underscores just one aspect of a person's psyche, then isn't that special 'training' No different than what you are attributing to the followers of God? (A brainwashing that has one seeing God in everything, or in your case see 'bias' in everything not in your training?)
So then what's the difference between what you are doing and what you claim Christians are doing? How is your 'brainwashing' better than any other brand?

Quote:http://atheistforums.org/thread-40435-po...pid1193511 - explains pretty well the neural network dynamics I'm talking about here. It's not about bias specifically but it is covered and that's what I mean by bias in this context... the biasing effect specific to bidirectional neural networks like the Cerebral Cortex and which is at the core of its functioning. But if my word is worthless then obviously you don't have to read it, but it's there if you want to.
sorry the link does not work.
It redirects me to a google search which takes me to the AF.org main page.
And your right. your 'interpretation/brainwashing' is what is in question here, so you can 'peacock' all you like with what you think you know, but again unless you can cite something to support what you have said it is all meaningless.
I am just holding you to the same standards you all hold me. If you can't produce ANYTHING that supports your position then your words are truly meaningless. They simply become the 'flourish' of a proud, but clueless individual who's words only have meaning to those with their or revers their very specific brand of brainwashing... Otherwise that type of person could indeed produce source material when asked for the very purpose of being scrutinized by others.

The fact that you can only point to your own personal biased writings and thoughts literally scream of all the thing you claim Christians do. So then the question becomes why is what is good for the goose not good for the gander? Why are you allowed bias in what you believe, but condemn it everywhere else unless it is first filtered through your specific brand of bias?

Quote:And yes of course I'm affected by bias, everybody is...
see the last question

Quote:it's core to how the brain functions. Wherever there is strong emotion there is bias. I'm biased against Christianity as a whole and certain individual Christians, including you, to the extent that they anger me. And that anger and bias in turn leads to douchebaggery. You're a douche, I'm a douche and as long as we both see each other that way neither of us is going to convince the other of anything because there is too much bias involved.
So it is your belief that even in your angered state that you can correctly identify bias, without any guidlines/source material that holds you accountable from moving the goal posts in your christian bias witch hunt?

I can't quote book, chapter and verse because I don't have the book with me. I moved in with my sister for a while and only took what I really needed so that book is still at home on my bookshelf. Though I guess you'll think that's a lie.

The link does work for me, but if you say it doesn't work for you it's under Philosophy>Seeing Red (thread) post #323

There's not much I can say because you've taken it out of context from the very start. But that's my fault not yours. I should've learned a long time ago that it's not wise to use a technical understanding of a term when there is a popular and emotive use of the term in play. It just ends in them getting conflated and perhaps also by me.

I was talking about very dry subject matter in the context of a heated and emotive discussion and that was just stupidity on my part. I was just trying to talk about neural contexts. There's no bias involved in my interpretation... that's exactly how they work - objectively. They involve a dynamic of bias to get the job done. It's explained in my post above. It's just an inherent effect for you, and me, and everyone... whatever you - we - think about influences what we think next by way of priming related things.

I'm angry now, yes, but calming down. Anger is never worth it in the long run and just brings me down. As much as I can I try to step back from it, it's just harder when someone won't drop it. It's entirely possible, probable in fact, that in that state I have a demonised version of you in my head - a delusion - that is highly affected by confirmation bias... not much different from what can happen in a mafia game. It's what can happen in a situation of low information, such as a mafia game. I don't know you personally and for all I know you could be the kindest and most loving person in real life, but all I've got to work with here is what I see, and in anger that can be affected by paranoia and confirmation bias.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe. - by emjay - May 17, 2016 at 10:19 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 24149 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1421 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3866 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2559 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 85263 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7915 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10231 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Don't you just love the hypocrisy of religion. ignoramus 86 22278 July 16, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? PETE_ROSE 455 101631 April 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 22481 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic