Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 12:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American workers' wages stagnant, even in a great economy: why?
RE: American workers' wages stagnant, even in a great economy: why?
It's interesting that the article OP quotes thinks the reason is the employees: “In a very tight labor market you would expect that workers would negotiate their wages to at least keep up with the cost of living, and the picture tells you that they’re not.”

Yet, everyone immediately jumped to government.

I have 20/18 yo daughters making $15/12 per hour at Chik fil A.

I get McD's breakfast on the way to work once or twice a week. The old woman usually at the drive-through once complained that she had been there 12 years and was only making $10.50. I told her about Chik fil A. Her response was simply that she was used to McD's and didn't feel like going looking around.

In my field (CPA) it's pretty common for people starting out to move every 2-4 years, getting a good pay bump each time, before settling down at a firm.

Maybe our high schools should be teaching some practical things like how to maintain optimum pay rate through negotiation/switching jobs.

(August 12, 2018 at 10:43 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Well it seems that these conversations always seem to go to the 1%.

Yep, and yet the difference between Reps and Dems on taxing them is only 2.6%.

(August 12, 2018 at 10:39 pm)Kit Wrote: Unions, not a fan and not at all to what I am referring.  I would never trust an organization that required money from me in order to protect my interests.  

No, I am for a complete eradication of the monetary system.  No bartering either.  I believe people will work at helping a community survive when all are equally on the same level and all equally are treated the same and all are equally receiving the same minimal comforts for happiness and survival.  It is the greed to have something someone else doesn't that separates us and makes people lazy to the point where we realize not working for a corrupt system is better than supporting it for a lifetime of grief and no proper recompense.

Move to Venezuela. Their money's worthless and they're all pretty equally starving.

Messages In This Thread
RE: American workers' wages stagnant, even in a great economy: why? - by John V - August 13, 2018 at 8:03 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Russia's massive brain drain is ravaging the economy LinuxGal 0 386 September 3, 2023 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Indian-American Nikki Haley: Plan to Counter the China Threat. Nishant Xavier 46 2833 August 6, 2023 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Economy (US) Foxaèr 11 1368 February 7, 2023 at 5:43 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  George Carlin American Dream vannymanny 6 533 June 29, 2022 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  How bad is our economy? (US) Foxaèr 28 1478 March 15, 2022 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Send in the social workers. onlinebiker 57 4688 November 1, 2021 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] American Congress member speaks about Israeli terrorism against Palestinians WinterHold 5 399 May 14, 2021 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  [Serious] Economy Class Economy ignoramus 41 2872 April 6, 2020 at 7:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  US and Taliban sign deal to withdraw American troops from Afghanistan WinterHold 50 3742 March 8, 2020 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  why are many american obsessed over maintainign the illusion of choice in healthcare? Cepheus Ace 8 1563 October 3, 2019 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath