Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 2:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American workers' wages stagnant, even in a great economy: why?
RE: American workers' wages stagnant, even in a great economy: why?
(August 13, 2018 at 4:48 pm)Cathooloo Wrote:
(August 13, 2018 at 4:15 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Much like a purchase decision, wage is a negotiation based on supply and demand, what it's worth to the consumer and so on. On both ends, you can ask for what you want, but you also have to keep in mind what the guy down the street is selling or buying.

LOL.  Largely it isn't because of enormous differences in negotiating power between employers and employees.

Personally, I'm being asked to do more and more (we rolled more than one eliminated department's responsibilities into my group AND laid off part of my department).  Each of my engineers contributes more to the bottom line than ever before.  We're more profitable year over year.

Yet, our wages are stagnant.

Where's this trickle down that conservatives are always on about?  Hasn't been happening, isn't going to happen.

I would agree that trickle down economics has been oversold in the past, however I also believe that if the company doesn't have extra money, that it is also difficult to get a raise. I believe in balance, I also believe in the free market.  

We had a large increase in benefits with the initiation of Obamacare (increase in cost, quality went down).  And we where told that this was our raise.   I did receive a pretty good raise this year (along with tax decrease).  I was also willing to go somewhere else if things where much better there (either more pay, or less work for the money).

It may be difficult In a larger company, and perhaps they don’t care about turnover (poor management). However, I would be bringing it up often, if you are doing more work, getting paid the same, and the company is doing well. If you do it respectfully, it never hurts to ask or remind them. And if it’s better elsewhere, then leave.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther

Messages In This Thread
RE: American workers' wages stagnant, even in a great economy: why? - by RoadRunner79 - August 13, 2018 at 5:07 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Russia's massive brain drain is ravaging the economy LinuxGal 0 386 September 3, 2023 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Indian-American Nikki Haley: Plan to Counter the China Threat. Nishant Xavier 46 2835 August 6, 2023 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Economy (US) Foxaèr 11 1369 February 7, 2023 at 5:43 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  George Carlin American Dream vannymanny 6 533 June 29, 2022 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  How bad is our economy? (US) Foxaèr 28 1478 March 15, 2022 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Send in the social workers. onlinebiker 57 4688 November 1, 2021 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] American Congress member speaks about Israeli terrorism against Palestinians WinterHold 5 399 May 14, 2021 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  [Serious] Economy Class Economy ignoramus 41 2873 April 6, 2020 at 7:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  US and Taliban sign deal to withdraw American troops from Afghanistan WinterHold 50 3742 March 8, 2020 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  why are many american obsessed over maintainign the illusion of choice in healthcare? Cepheus Ace 8 1563 October 3, 2019 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath