Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ?
RE: A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ?
(March 13, 2022 at 9:41 am)Ferrocyanide Wrote: I ask the same question to theists:
With the presents of god, how do you trust your naturally evolved brain to be a reliable tool to investigate reality, and not a delusion?

Because, assuming theism, God intended to create human beings who would actively and freely seek to know Him. This entails endowing them with brains capable of investigating reality and acquire knowledge.

By contrast, there is a set of arguments asserting a difficulty in reconciling naturalism with evolution, and it doesn't take a genius to see why: one can't even pretend to investigate ultimate reality when, at the same time, they are unable to accurately justify the reliability of their senses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutiona...naturalism#:~:

(March 13, 2022 at 9:41 am)Ferrocyanide Wrote: Everything is a mechanism based on what we have observed so far.
At the foundation, the mechanism are based on the properties of a few fundamental particles.
It is also easy to explain why nature is not capable of making watches and it has nothing to do with complexity.

Going back to the foundation won't help you here: the fundamental particles were clearly fine-tuned all along to yield our universe, if that doesn't point one to a designer then it's difficult to see if anything would be enough for them. besides that, nature is not capable of anything, because it's not a personal agent. 

(March 13, 2022 at 9:41 am)Ferrocyanide Wrote: It sounds like you didn’t understand the question or you choose to pretend not to understand it.
If this god is omnibenevolent, why does he just sit around and watch? He doesn’t have any feelings? Is he comfortable sitting on his throne?

Whenever you utter the word God or omnibenevolence, you should take the afterlife into account before tring to make any assessment. You say : why does God watch and do nothing? Clearly this is ridiculous, God created eternal damnation in hell for the worst criminals, this is not nothing, this is just you making judgements based on the extremely short (relatively to an infinite afterlife) lifespan of the criminal or the victim.

(March 13, 2022 at 9:41 am)Ferrocyanide Wrote: I disagree. Allowing injustice means that the jewish god doesn’t care about morals.

I am not sure about your stance on morality. Under divine command theory, anything God does is moral, and anythng God forbids isn't. I think most religious people will accept divine command theory. 

God allows a finite period of injustice and then redresses it by an infinitely long outcome. If he were to negate injustice altogether at all times, this would jeopardize the free will of moral agents.

(March 13, 2022 at 9:41 am)Ferrocyanide Wrote: A rapist getting 30 y of torture doesn’t undo the rape event. It doesn’t solve the problem of allowing rape to occur.

Allowing rape to occur is part of allowing moral agents to exercize their free will. 

(March 13, 2022 at 9:41 am)Ferrocyanide Wrote: I have noticed that for theists, justice often means to torture the criminal. Why do you want to do that? Does it bring your satisfaction?

As human beings with limited cognition, nobody really understands justice or what it entails. We might be able to build justice systems based on some widely accepted moral axioms, but that's it. 

But you are here claiming you can understand justice and the morality of torturing criminals and rapists better than all knowing deity, this is ridiculous, and I think you know it.

(March 13, 2022 at 9:41 am)Ferrocyanide Wrote:
Quote:And anyone arguing otherwise doesn't really understand what eternity means.

I don’t think you understand what eternity means.

True, and neither do you. That's why we defer judgment to an all-knowing deity.

(March 13, 2022 at 10:54 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: And yet here you are on AF, a theist, bragging that your big smart brain has figured out that a god indisputably exists, lol.

And yet here you are on AF, an atheist, throwing ad hominems left and right to dodge arguments.

Messages In This Thread
RE: A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? - by R00tKiT - March 15, 2022 at 2:27 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence ShinyCrystals 9 696 September 4, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8124 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2746 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Is my argument against afterlife an equivocation fallacy? FlatAssembler 61 2594 June 20, 2023 at 5:59 pm
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 10059 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What is the worst religion in existence? Hi600 89 6190 May 6, 2023 at 12:55 pm
  A simple argument against God Disagreeable 149 12737 December 29, 2022 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Atheism and the existence of peanut butter R00tKiT 721 49124 November 15, 2022 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  My Almighty VS your argument against it Won2blv 43 3788 May 5, 2022 at 9:13 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?" Macoleco 25 1883 May 1, 2021 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger