Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Me Answer My Evangelical Aunt's Most Recent Email!
Help Me Answer My Evangelical Aunt's Most Recent Email!
The drama is over this picture that she shared on bookface:

[Image: tebow.jpg]

I usually am very good about holding my tongue on facebook, but this irked the shit out of me, so I posted a comment that said:

I Wrote:I don't see a problem with either, but I would hope that if there is a god, he has more important things to do than help someone win a football game. I, personally, think that public prayer is not a big deal. Pray on if you want. I'm more concerned with people doing harmful things in public. Prayer is benign.

A few minutes later I received this:

Crazy Evangelical Aunt Wrote:Leigh, you know I like to answer these things privately because I dont ever want to appear to be ridiculing you in any way because I am not but others might think so and I don't want to even take the chance on that. So hear goes...
Since you are an atheist and that is your right and I am certainly not going to use this platform to try and convince you otherwise. I do however think that I should explain to you a little bit about God and prayer and the gifts and talents that God gives us. All good gifts, in this case Tim Tebow's gift is a great football player, should all be used to further the Kingdom of God. The 'platform' that God has given to Tebow, is the football field. Tebow has a desire in his heart to give God thanks and glory because he knows that God is the one that has given him his talents, he also has a responsibility as a Christian to show the world that he recognizes God as his Lord and King. All of us are given platforms to spread the good news of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ some are just more public than others. Unfortunately many Christians fail and are not bold in their worship of the one true God. Tebow isn't and that's why everybody is talking about him. It should be such the norm that the talk would be about the Christian that doesn't give glory to God. There are other 'professed' Christians standing on that field with Tebow... my question is why aren't they bold enough to kneel in praise and glory of the mighty God they claim to believe in.

The media and the most americans readily accept muslims worshiping in their workplace and schools when Christians are not even allowed to speak the name of Jesus in many of these places... even you can surely see the injustice in that.

I don't want to come off as arrogant, antagonistic, or rude... so basically, I don't know what to say.

Hehe

What would you say?

RE: Help Me Answer My Evangelical Aunt's Most Recent Email!
I might mention that, given Tebow's place in a secular, well-paid commercial enterprise called professional football, and given the multifaceted nature of his paying audience, refraining from making his "thanksbetoyejeezus" moments so glaringly and unapologetically public would do more to show that he is the humble xtian he professes to be than do his "what did I do? Love my lord? How am I wrong?" displays.

Where did xtian humility go in this instance, and why are the xtians so defensive of this example of its having been abandoned? Would they be ok if a Muslim player threw down a prayer mat to perform wudu on the field? How about a Voodun making a small sacrifice on an altar to the football god?

Slippery slope, these thanks for "god-given" gifts on major television.
Trying to update my sig ...
I might say: "Dear Anut, it is upon reflection of everything god is supposedly have said, and everything we've learned without god, that I concluded the existence of your god and every other to be a figment of believer's discreditable imagination. So please don't tell me what figments of discreditable imagination has conjured up, lest it discredit you in my eyes"
That's good, Epi, thanks. I'm definitely going to include some of that in my reply- in my own words, of course.

This shit irritates me to the point of irrationality, so I appreciate the feedback.
(December 29, 2011 at 3:19 pm)Chuck Wrote: I might say: "Dear Anut, it is upon reflection of everything god is supposedly have said, and everything we've learned without god, that I concluded the existence of your god and every other to be a figment of believer's discreditable imagination. So please don't tell me what figments of discreditable imagination has conjured up, lest it discredit you in my eyes"

ROFLOL

That's good, but I don't think she cares if she's discredited in my eyes.

Quote:The media and the most americans readily accept muslims worshiping in their workplace and schools when Christians are not even allowed to speak the name of Jesus in many of these places... even you can surely see the injustice in that.

Secular things like football, education, baseball, politics do not require religion - perhaps because there's too many religious beliefs that can led people aggression, discrimination, anti-harmony and prejudices?
I wasn't aware that Muslims were allowed to openly worship in workplaces and public schools. What's the deal with that?

They aren't allowed to worship openly in public schools.

Edit: I see that California has begun to bow to this, and what a stupid thing this will be, much like most of what California does in education.
Trying to update my sig ...
(December 29, 2011 at 3:25 pm)aleialoura Wrote: I wasn't aware that Muslims were allowed to openly worship in workplaces and public schools. What's the deal with that?
It's most likely assertion. If I were you, I'd ask her where did she learn the such allegation.

Just show her ignorant ass this, the delusional evangelical know nothing, and add that christianity rules america and so anti anything else. STUPID COW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJll5rbDQeo
I don't think she's arguing with you, or at least not trying to. You stated that you believe prayer is benign, and she stated that she feels it is unjust that Christians are not able to take part in a benign practice while other religious denominations are.

I would simply agree with her. You can't argue with her about the first paragraph as it is her opinion on the actions of her peers. If she believes that God is the one who gives gifts to each person, and that those persons should give thanks for those gifts, then that is her belief. Nothing you say will change that.

If you wish to argue with her then refer to Epimethean's comment about humility and tolerance.
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is not the answer Foxaèr 47 5145 October 31, 2018 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Drich
  I Got This Email And Figured It Was From Some Religitard Minimalist 6 1751 May 9, 2018 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Evangelical Trump Supporters: Hefner was sexually perverse Foxaèr 8 779 September 28, 2017 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  10 Questions Biblical Literalists Cannot Honestly Answer Foxaèr 431 125946 August 12, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Our theists of all labels please answer.... Brian37 92 12243 April 25, 2017 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Brian37
  I've never gotten a good answer to.... Brian37 23 5663 October 23, 2016 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  The Consistent Asshole Answer to Every Problem Minimalist 3 1841 June 17, 2016 at 9:37 am
Last Post: tacebotedo
  Share Your Untestimony: Prayers that God didn't Answer Rhondazvous 81 21183 November 3, 2015 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  The Answer is - The Greeks Minimalist 16 3210 January 27, 2015 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Questions to answer polar bear 20 3542 October 26, 2014 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Losty