Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can Christians not admit Christianity is all a pile of garbage when ...?
How can Christians not admit Christianity is all a pile of garbage when ...?
How can modern Christians not admit Christianity is all a pile of garbage when reject ideas which are integral to it?

Most Christians don't says people should be stoned to death for adultery or homosexuality, say Hindus and Buddhists should all be murdered and their temples burnt down if they won't worship the Judeo Christian god. They don't think slavery is OK. They don't believe in Adam or Eve or any of the bullshit science in Genesis.

So how can they not think the whole Bible is not just a work of fiction if they're rejecting half of it as fiction or morally wrong anyway?

RE: How can Christians not admit Christianity is all a pile of garbage when ...?
Its called compartmentalisation.
Just ignore the parts that dont work for you and keep the parts you agree with, its why the anti gay bits are so popular and the killing wayward children isnt.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: How can Christians not admit Christianity is all a pile of garbage when ...?
(January 31, 2012 at 2:09 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Its called compartmentalisation.
Just ignore the parts that dont work for you and keep the parts you agree with, its why the anti gay bits are so popular and the killing wayward children isnt.

I can't do that though.
If something is a pile of crap I could never just selectively ignore parts of it and believe the rest is divine like that.
So are theists missing some part of their brain which promotes logic which atheists have?

Quote:I can't do that though.

That's why you are one of us and not one of them.
It's the same way they can claim that Islam is a violent, dangerous religion because the Koran calls for all unbelievers to be killed, yet ignore the passages in the bible which effectively say the exact same thing. It also helps if they never read the bible but just absorb what their preacher tells them every Sunday.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Some people use the argument that those parts of the bible were meant for a different time and culture.

Translation: I know that part is bullshit, but I just can't admit that anything in my holy book is flawed. It would make my head explode.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Yeah, those parts of the bible which talk about killing your neighbor who works on the Sabbath, wearing clothes of mixed fibers, and eating shellfish were for a different time, but being gay is an abomination!*

*even though all these come from the same book of the bible.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(January 31, 2012 at 3:22 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Some people use the argument that those parts of the bible were meant for a different time and culture.

You get a pretty mixed bag of reactions when you say something along the lines of "so you worship a deity who at one time condoned those actions? just because it happened a long time ago doesn't make it justified." without even having to go into the incongruousness of an omniscient/omnipotent being changing his mind so much. Big Grin
"I get angry when believers say that the entire unimaginable hugeness of the universe was made entirely for the human race, and atheists by contrast say that humanity is this infinitesmal eyeblink in the vastness of time and space, and then religious believers accuse atheists of being arrogant."
-Greta Christina, Skepticon IV 2011
I think that's how one of them was trying to justify slavery in the bible here not too long ago. "It was a different kind of slavery" doesn't seem to ever be able to justify the fact that owning another human being is wrong. The fact that the bible didn't condemn it and actually even encouraged it among other bizarre behavior like stoning disobedient children or forcing a woman to marry her rapist shows that morality is totally subjective, and claiming that God was always just & moral is a lie.
Quote:"It was a different kind of slavery"

It wasn't all that different. Skeletal remains of slaves show serious stress related injuries at a young age.

Biut xtians don't need much of an excuse to make up an excuse.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  questions Christians can't answer Fake Messiah 23 2828 October 15, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  [Serious] Do we have any female Christians left? If not, anyone is welcome to comment. Losty 34 3399 May 13, 2019 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: WolfsChild
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7809 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How can you prove that the gospel of Mark is not the "word of god"? Lincoln05 100 11725 October 16, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 3928 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Is Christianity unique or not? Graufreud 88 8054 July 28, 2018 at 1:10 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  A quarter of British Christians do not believe in the resurection downbeatplumb 35 6819 April 14, 2017 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Christianity Can't Be True Because... pipw1995 75 11563 August 31, 2016 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Why do Christians believe in the Resurrection of Jesus but not alien abductions? Jehanne 72 11698 June 27, 2016 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31247 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy