Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would it be a good thing if no Christian was allowed any position in government?
Would it be a good thing if no Christian was allowed any position in government?
Do you think it would be a good idea?
I don't see why not.

If people are completely irrational and wilfully ignorant in their own beliefs about Christianity how can we trust them to govern a country?

And anyone who believes that any book with the morality of the Bible is the Word of God is severely morally compromised.
RE: Would it be a good thing if no Christian was allowed any position in government?
It depends on how you do it. The shot gun approach of barring christians from government in a country where christian influence is culturally strong and the population is susceptible won't accomplish anything lasting. It would give substance to the perpetual christian slimy whine of persecution, and would but white wash the problem of christian influence. A more effective, albeit a more tedious and time consuming approach would be to raise the education level of the entire population until those who would remain christian in any substantive way would naturally be seen as unfit for responsibility, much less government, without there needing any legal bar to them.

RE: Would it be a good thing if no Christian was allowed any position in government?
Many religious folk I know, even some quite devout, do about their daily business logically. They mow their yards, go to work, seek self-fulfillment in their endeavors, etc.

Their belief in a sky fairy, regardless of their inability to look at the evidence against such, doesn't do too much affecting their decisions. So long as they're not persecuting those with different beliefs than them, I don't see a problem with them holding office in our country. And trying to prevent those with these beliefs from holding office would be religious persecution on our behalf, which I don't feel would be justified.

If I had the choice between an atheist candidate, muslim candidate, christian candidate, and buddhist candidate, I'd look on the stances of their platform before I even considered voting on them based on what they believe.

That being said, I would rather see an atheist in office than a theist, assuming they had similar enough stances and were the ones I would be choosing between voting for. I don't like the concept of religious officials having meetings with the president or prime minister, getting third party influence from a source with no foundation on how to run the country.
"I get angry when believers say that the entire unimaginable hugeness of the universe was made entirely for the human race, and atheists by contrast say that humanity is this infinitesmal eyeblink in the vastness of time and space, and then religious believers accuse atheists of being arrogant."
-Greta Christina, Skepticon IV 2011
Quote:A more effective, albeit a more tedious and time consuming approach would be to raise the education level of the entire population until those who would remain christian in any substantive way would naturally be seen as unfit for responsibility, much less government, without there needing any legal bar to them.

They are onto that one, though. Xtians know "STUPID is jesus' way!"
Quote:Do you think it would be a good idea?

No

Quote:If people are completely irrational and wilfully ignorant in their own beliefs about Christianity how can we trust them to govern a country?

Why pick on Christians? The same can be said of almost any human being,but especially about most politicians.

Here,our incumbent Prime Minister and most of her cabinet are atheists, yet they are an imcompetent shower.
(January 31, 2012 at 8:24 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:A more effective, albeit a more tedious and time consuming approach would be to raise the education level of the entire population until those who would remain christian in any substantive way would naturally be seen as unfit for responsibility, much less government, without there needing any legal bar to them.

They are onto that one, though. Xtians know "STUPID is jesus' way!"

Doesn't matter, popularizing intelligence that come with proper education is still the key to addressing the fundamental issue of superstition, wish thinking and stupidity.

This doesn't change regardless of how alerted agents of xtianity have become to their existential need to promote their particular favor of stupidity by any means.

(January 31, 2012 at 9:11 pm)padraic Wrote: Here,our incumbent Prime Minister and most of her cabinet are atheists, yet they are an imcompetent shower.

Where?

Australia.

@padraic.... I don't know about the Green/ Labor Govt being atheists but they DO bash on about "The Party Faithful" and "The Environment" to a point where one MAY consider them being religious.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
How about we disqualify any fucker who claims 'god' told him to run for x office?
(January 31, 2012 at 10:00 pm)Xavier Wrote:
(January 31, 2012 at 9:11 pm)padraic Wrote: Here,our incumbent Prime Minister and most of her cabinet are atheists, yet they are an imcompetent shower.

Where?

Australia.

We also have openly gay and lesbian members in both houses of parliament,at high levels.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89485 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  I need ONE good Christian... Gawdzilla Sama 31 2289 February 21, 2020 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Are there any Christian proselytizers left in this subforum? Jehanne 157 21095 October 8, 2018 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  So, are the Boils of Egypt still a 'thing' ?? vorlon13 26 5600 May 8, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  What beliefs would we consider reasonable for a self proclaimed Christian to hold? Whateverist 853 71867 April 16, 2018 at 4:26 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Catholic priests allowed to exorcise demons in English pocaracas 48 8621 November 4, 2017 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Another "how could any intelligent woman be a Christian?" thread drfuzzy 17 2849 September 14, 2016 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Atheists, how would you explain these Christian testimonies? miguel54 44 9464 August 28, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  So is crucifiction a bad or a good thing? Longhorn 75 22130 December 17, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  How to Prove Your Own Position without Trying Very Hard Randy Carson 59 11701 July 14, 2015 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire