Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mini rant, because I can
Mini rant, because I can
I really don't have a point to this, and it's certainly not the end of the world, but I'm goddamn tired of it.

I've been badgered a LOT lately about going on my "birthright" trip to Israel because I'm about to turn 27, and 26 is the cut-off age for people to essentially pay for someone to go to Israel.

Even when I had a lot of time on my hands and was the perfect age to go galavanting around the globe on someone else's dime, I didn't want to go. Frankly, the Middle East scares me. When my mother got out of high school, she lived in Israel for an entire summer on a kibbutz. When I got out of high school, my dream was to go backpacking across Scotland. I didn't even have the money for a ticket there, so that dream has been shelved for a bit, but you get the idea. I like green places.

Now that I'm at the cut-off age, and quite open about my atheism to everyone but my family and coworkers (that's about 20 total people out of the rest of the world), I'm suddenly getting flack from all sides about not taking what amounts to a pilgrimage.

Do Catholics ever deal with this? In the past pilgrimages were made, but do they ever encourage people to do this now?

I've tried to stay polite and remind them that I wouldn't really get anything out of it. I appreciate my people's history, but not enough that I'd want to live with a bunch of strangers even for only a few weeks and have to participate in Jewish rituals.

Why is this REALLY irritating me? Because I'm being told I should do it just for the sake of world travel - because someone will pay me for an accident of birth to go outside of my country and visit a strip of desert with a bunch of other people who were accidentally born Jews. I don't know why this mix of snotty "well you should" and religious intonation and "be grateful" pisses me off so much.

Also, the other side of it is that I only get 2 weeks of vacation a year from my job. I don't earn it as I go. So I would lose my chance to go to England, to Vegas for TAM! and a few other things just for the chance to be paid to go to...Israel.

Did I mention that all of the people who are giving me shit about it are people who are aware of my "heathen" status and still seem to think I HAVE to go?

I suppose this is like the last ditch efforts of Christian family members trying to get a little lost atheist in their midst to come back to the fold. Maybe if I see the ruins, I'll go back to being fully Jewish! I'll connect with my heritage! God will reveal Himself to me in the..sand!

Not bloody likely.

Mostly, I would just like an opportunity I have already declined for the past 9 years to please STOP COMING BACK UP ALMOST EVERY DAY!

Besides, which would you choose?

England?
[Image: P20-01-12_19-28-1.jpg]

Or Israel and Hershel the Hobo?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS__uXa3kBZoSLFECHPp3s...-c1MN0c23u]

But seriously, I think it's fucked up they spend money that way. Children starve instead of being fed by the price of those tickets.

PS - my sister's been there twice.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Mini rant, because I can
Not that you need any advice on the subject, but if I felt as strongly about it as you seem to, I wouldn't go.
I just want the e-mails of DO THIS and TIME IS RUNNING OUT to stop. I've explained my case countless times.
I don't remember ever hearing of any Catholic pilgrimages anywhere. I'm sure the trips are available if you look for them, but there's no "you have to go" mentality among Catholics.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I'm sure they will stop, once time runs out. Big Grin

Of course, then the guilt trip because you didn't go may start.
Delete the emails and move on with your life. Don't let them get you down. Or . . . opt for refundable tickets and go to Scotland. You can send them a postcard that says "You got punked, bitches."
hehe, until today I was doing the first of what you said, but I really like your other idea. Big Grin
I think it's brilliant. Of course, I think everything I say and do is brilliant.
The fact that you think so, and the fact that much of it is, is part of why I love you. Big Grin

Ha, I love you too, Summer. I do know when I am wrong, though and no one is ever more disappointed in me than me, which makes me that much more brilliant. Big Grin

Happy Valentine's Day, you sex kitten.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What did you learn to do because of the pandemic? arewethereyet 31 2023 June 27, 2021 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Because I love cheese Losty 116 8232 November 27, 2018 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 745 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why should I be ashamed? A rant by a Mexican. J a c k 61 10348 March 20, 2018 at 6:26 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Just because She's Topless chimp3 162 16977 January 8, 2018 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  I'll Give You a Pass Because... Neo-Scholastic 13 2188 November 16, 2017 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Is time travel Impossible Because time Doesn't Exist? budsa11 62 8625 August 27, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Just wanted to share something I wrote because I'm feeling kind of down WisdomOfTheTrees 1 818 April 23, 2017 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Athene
  As smart as Min is, he is going to leave because he realized they wouldn't listen. Foxaèr 53 5167 February 6, 2017 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  People who otta just shut the fuck up because EVERYTHING they say sets me off vorlon13 35 4902 January 7, 2017 at 10:34 am
Last Post: brewer