Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WTF do Easter eggs have to do with Easter?
WTF do Easter eggs have to do with Easter?
Anyone care to enlighten me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcjRAbj0ycE
RE: WTF do Easter eggs have to do with Easter?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_egg

[Image: 250px-VolynPysanky.jpg]

Quote:Origin and folklore
The egg is widely used as a symbol of the start of new life, just as new life emerges from an egg when the chick hatches out.
The ancient Zoroastrians painted eggs for Nowrooz, their New Year celebration, which falls on the Spring equinox. The Nawrooz tradition has existed for at least 2,500 years. The sculptures on the walls of Persepolis show people carrying eggs for Nowrooz to the king.[citation needed]
There are good grounds for the association between hares (later termed Easter bunnies) and eggs, through folklore confusion between hares' forms (where they raise their young) and plovers' nests.[2]
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
This makes no sense.
Why??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
You think painting easter eggs and relating them to rabbits and Jesus makes sense?
[Image: ashp-23455549413.jpeg]
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Lookup the whole Sun King/ Winter King cycles and the worship of the Solar year, Wicca may be a good start I think.

It may not be so NOW but in years past winters were much worse, thanks to this 'global warming' trend whole villages are not dying out and food is plentiful. Ēostre or Ostara marked the time of year (usually around Vernal Equinox) when seed could be planted and people could go out from their homes with a reasonable expectation of return that night unscathed. After Imbolc https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbolc ... February 2, the wait for the ground to thaw so the new lambs could eat the new grass was fraught with danger. Equinox marked the triumph of the Sun over the Ice and so with abundance running feely (and chickens laying heavily) Easter eggs have continued to be used as celebration to mark the occasion. Religion can not hold back the wheel of the seasons...seems their god just wasn't up to it. Tongue https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_of_the_Year

The religious could not interfere with an agrarian { https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agrarian_society }society... that meant they were the ones who'd miss out.
(March 21, 2012 at 6:12 am)Napoleon Wrote: You think painting easter eggs and relating them to rabbits and Jesus makes sense?

No one says it does (well no one with any brains or common sense) Tongue

As I posted...it is just a rip off by the Abrahamic (and xtianity is the BIG culprit here) religions that the whole grovelling to god for being alive at the end of a harsh snow bound winter and being able to work your fucking butt off for "the Man" (aka the "Church") that you are ALLOWED to celebrate with eggs and while you are doing that you will be thinking of this zombie and fell guilty. For the Middle Eastern Countries it is Ramadan I think... { https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadan } but again it is a celebration of abundance after shortage of food...nothing more.

Meh Dodgy I like my version better.
Every year my intolerant, catholic gran buys me an easter egg. I think I am going to have to bring some shit up with her about the origin of what she is giving me.
Cunt
(March 21, 2012 at 6:54 am)frankiej Wrote: Every year my intolerant, catholic gran buys me an easter egg. I think I am going to have to bring some shit up with her about the origin of what she is giving me.

What...that she is participating in a Pagan/ Teutonic ritual?? That pre-dates xtianity?? Do you think she is up for that? Maybe some Oxygen and Digitalis should be on hand just in case Tongue
(March 21, 2012 at 6:58 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote:
(March 21, 2012 at 6:54 am)frankiej Wrote: Every year my intolerant, catholic gran buys me an easter egg. I think I am going to have to bring some shit up with her about the origin of what she is giving me.

What...that she is participating in a Pagan/ Teutonic ritual?? That pre-dates xtianity?? Do you think she is up for that? Maybe some Oxygen and Digitalis should be on hand just in case Tongue

She would probably just say that I was lying and that it has always been a Christian thing. She doesn't deal with confrontation very well. She is too stubborn to listen to anything that contradicts her vision of her religion.

But, she makes a mu'fuckin' beastin' chicken pie.
Cunt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Easter strory zebo-the-fat 11 1671 April 3, 2018 at 10:06 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Trump and Melania attend Easter Services !! vorlon13 2 336 April 1, 2018 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  WTF is Spiritual Warfare? vulcanlogician 53 7458 December 16, 2017 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Happy Easter! Mystic 85 11476 April 15, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Easter! RobbyPants 17 2630 March 30, 2016 at 8:16 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The TSA ain't screening for demons ?? WTF !!! vorlon13 17 3252 March 5, 2016 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  WTF? Minimalist 13 2117 February 17, 2016 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Happy Easter! KevinM1 24 4283 April 5, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Historical Easter Question for Minimalist thesummerqueen 26 7455 April 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  you have to have faith..and there's a purpose k2490 16 5769 June 1, 2014 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: KUSA