Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So much for Freedom of Speech in the UK.
So much for Freedom of Speech in the UK.
UK Man Jailed For 'Offensive Tweets'

Ok, what this guy did was vile, but I don't think he deserves two months in jail for it. I guess these things happen when you are a subject & not a citizen.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
RE: So much for Freedom of Speech in the UK.
I posted this on Facebook. I doubt it's because of his citizenship status; if I had said the same thing I'd probably end up in jail too. This isn't the worst sentence in recent years though; last year 2 youths were sentenced to 4 years in jail for encouraging people to riot on Facebook. They didn't take part in the rioting themselves; they just encouraged other people to do it. It's getting ridiculous in this country when the law enforcement cannot understand the difference between speech and actual actions.
I didn't see anywhere where it said specifically what he tweeted. I hate racism, but I think as long as you're not making threats toward anyone, you should have the right to say what you want. And of course if you say anything slanderous then you're subject to slander laws, but that's a civil matter rather than criminal. I guess I just value free speech too much.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
We don't have freedom of speech in the UK.
(March 27, 2012 at 1:32 pm)5thHorseman Wrote: We don't have freedom of speech in the UK.

Apparently.

Time to jettison that old hag of a queen you have and join the 21st century.
Twitter comments have been high profile in the news lately (ask Ryan Giggs), I think this guy has been made an example of to make people think twice about what they write on there
(March 27, 2012 at 1:55 pm)Chuff Wrote: Twitter comments have been high profile in the news lately (ask Ryan Giggs), I think this guy has been made an example of to make people think twice about what they write on there

Because someone spouting opinions out of their ass while not indulging in any professional activities that could (theoretically) be infringed on is such a threat.... Dodgy

"Teach him a lesson"? For sure -- it's Britain's way of teaching their vassals to know their place. Quite effective I think.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(March 27, 2012 at 1:38 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(March 27, 2012 at 1:32 pm)5thHorseman Wrote: We don't have freedom of speech in the UK.

Apparently.

Time to jettison that old hag of a queen you have and join the 21st century.

Would be nice, like Tiberius I am a republican, i'd prefer a President (as a figurehead)

We could lend you a few of ours.....shit or shit sandwich, your choice.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Where do you live 5th? We should totally meet up at the Jubilee protest Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What happens if you "tell" a police to f**k off? Freedom of speech? Duty 16 1046 April 17, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Navalny’s speech from court Fake Messiah 3 247 February 5, 2021 at 5:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Does the media give too Trump too much attention GODZILLA 9 1321 October 21, 2018 at 3:04 am
Last Post: Jade-Green Stone
  Do You Suppose This Slimeball Remembers This Speech? Minimalist 1 360 August 22, 2018 at 7:35 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Okay GOP, now is your time to shine and show how much you really love America GODZILLA 25 3075 July 17, 2018 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why are those who support Trump defending him so much GODZILLA 14 1698 June 14, 2018 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Philosophy of Politics. UK has too much pussies nowadays too : 3 Duriu 7 1537 May 6, 2018 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  The Power of Freedom vs. Hate Speech Laws Mechaghostman2 13 1626 May 1, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Find out how much you're getting screwed... Jehanne 112 20200 April 11, 2018 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Taxes, freedom of information act... Brian37 21 1947 February 4, 2018 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: chimp3