Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Two Trees
The Two Trees
This is a rough draft of a 1000 word essay I have to do for my philosophy unit at university. It's to do with the Euthyphro Dilemma.

I think I have been able to show why it can't be that something is good because God commands it, but I'm not sure if I fleshed out the idea entirely.

Feedback would be most appreciated from theists and atheists alike.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: The Two Trees
(April 4, 2012 at 2:16 am)FallentoReason Wrote: This is a rough draft of a 1000 word essay I have to do for my philosophy unit at university. It's to do with the Euthyphro Dilemma.

I think I have been able to show why it can't be that something is good because God commands it, but I'm not sure if I fleshed out the idea entirely.

Feedback would be most appreciated from theists and atheists alike.

tldr but then I clicked show contents and was all like tsdr. So I went to http://www.wordcounttool.com/ and pasted your essay in and the count was only 900 so get to writing boy.
Phil Wrote:tldr but then I clicked show contents and was all like tsdr.
?
Quote: So I went to http://www.wordcounttool.com/ and pasted your essay in and the count was only 900 so get to writing boy.
Yeah I need to think of a counter argument to my own and then disprove it. So that's why I'm ~100 words short.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(April 4, 2012 at 2:38 am)FallentoReason Wrote:
Phil Wrote:tldr but then I clicked show contents and was all like tsdr.
?
Quote: So I went to http://www.wordcounttool.com/ and pasted your essay in and the count was only 900 so get to writing boy.
Yeah I need to think of a counter argument to my own and then disprove it. So that's why I'm ~100 words short.

1000 words is nothing. Back when I was in school Philosophy was one of my required core classes even though I majored in Chemistry. The midterm paper was required to be 1500 words or better while the term paper counted in at a whopping 2500 words. What are you in a community college?
Phil Wrote:1000 words is nothing.
...yeah I never bragged or complained about it...

I'm doing the beginner unit because I've never done philosophy in my life. The lecturer said if we continue with it in later years you're expected to hand in 2000 word essays every two weeks.
(April 4, 2012 at 2:52 am)FallentoReason Wrote:
Phil Wrote:1000 words is nothing.
...yeah I never bragged or complained about it...

I'm doing the beginner unit because I've never done philosophy in my life. The lecturer said if we continue with it in later years you're expected to hand in 2000 word essays every two weeks.

Glad mine was just a core class.
Just trying to help out here, abandon the two trees and the fruit, I got half way through your post and could shoot it down easily. If you're trying to dismiss Mortimer this is not a good approach. Only someone with little to no knowledge of scripture would agree with you.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(April 4, 2012 at 3:11 am)Godschild Wrote: Just trying to help out here, abandon the two trees and the fruit, I got half way through your post and could shoot it down easily. If you're trying to dismiss Mortimer this is not a good approach. Only someone with little to no knowledge of scripture would agree with you.

The problem with the essay topic and the unit is that the unit is about moral ethics but when it comes to discussing morals from religion they don't want us to prove or disprove any given religion. We're just expected to talk about the idea of God in a more pure form so to speak. So no real religion applies to the ideas of God... but in saying that we were allowed to choose someone's work and criticise it. So Mortimer implies alot like obviously saying God must be the Christian God. But yeah I don't think they're going to go into detail by saying scripture would disprove my argument because that's not the type of philosophy unit I'm doing.

Thanks for your input though!
(April 4, 2012 at 3:17 am)FallentoReason Wrote:
(April 4, 2012 at 3:11 am)Godschild Wrote: Just trying to help out here, abandon the two trees and the fruit, I got half way through your post and could shoot it down easily. If you're trying to dismiss Mortimer this is not a good approach. Only someone with little to no knowledge of scripture would agree with you.

The problem with the essay topic and the unit is that the unit is about moral ethics but when it comes to discussing morals from religion they don't want us to prove or disprove any given religion. We're just expected to talk about the idea of God in a more pure form so to speak. So no real religion applies to the ideas of God... but in saying that we were allowed to choose someone's work and criticise it. So Mortimer implies alot like obviously saying God must be the Christian God. But yeah I don't think they're going to go into detail by saying scripture would disprove my argument because that's not the type of philosophy unit I'm doing.

Thanks for your input though!

If you are going to criticize Mortimer's idea of God shouldn't you have to respect or at least employ the definition of God. If so the scriptures are not needed to undo your argument. Just sayin'.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Godschild Wrote:If you are going to criticize Mortimer's idea of God shouldn't you have to respect or at least employ the definition of God.
Pretty much what I'm trying to refute is Mortimer's view of the Divine Command Theory or 'things are good because God says so' point of view in terms of the Euthyphro Dilemma. So as you might have read in my paper, I've gone with his definitions of God and made them my starting point.

Quote:If so the scriptures are not needed to undo your argument. Just sayin'.
As in my argument can be undone without scripture? That's sort of a good thing I guess because this unit isn't about theology or anything. It's just moral ethics.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Two-Source Hypthothesis LinuxGal 2 334 September 4, 2023 at 9:11 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Most People Insist That Two Separate Being Can Never Be One KerimF 86 4386 June 17, 2023 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Two verses on hell from the bible purplepurpose 7 641 June 15, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Two audio books for Christians (and, everyone else) Jehanne 3 574 January 16, 2019 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Two wrongs make a right Graufreud 19 1737 July 21, 2018 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Two More Xhristard Assholes Killed Their Kid Minimalist 17 4571 June 25, 2017 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  There are ONLY two types of Christians! 21stCenturyIconoclast! 60 13754 June 22, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  This Movie Needs A Guy and Two Robots Making Fun Of It Minimalist 7 1501 June 7, 2016 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Discounting God in two words. Foxaèr 41 5262 April 2, 2016 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: athrock
  Two possibilities... ApeNotKillApe 103 24030 October 2, 2015 at 10:40 am
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe