Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can God love?
Can God love?
Can God love?

We are told that the mythical bible God is love or the epitome of love.

Archetypal Jesus said that we would know his people by the love, deeds and actions they showed others.

Jesus gave us examples of the deeds and works. Feed the poor, love all our neighbours, do not sin and many others.

Love then, seems to Jesus, to be something that must be shown by deeds, actions and works to be alive and true love. Love, like faith, without works is dead. Both St. James and Jesus agree on this.

It follows then that if God is not doing something to show this love then the love for man expressed in scriptures is wrong and God cannot love.

You are in the image of God. When you love someone you show them that love by works and deeds. This is how the recipient of that love knows it is there and that allows for reciprocity. You will agree that without reciprocity, true love cannot exist between two individuals. We must do things for each other for true love to exist.

Imagine what those you love would think if you never did anything to express your love. Imagine what you would think of the love of others towards you if they never did anything to show they loved you. See what I mean. Love always must have deeds to be real and true and reciprocity must be at play.

Love then has no choice but to be expressed if it is true love.

We are told that God loved his son so much that he planned to have him sacrificed even before the earth was created. This human sacrifice or any other human sacrifice, voluntary or not, is immoral and the notion that it is good to sacrifice an innocent victim to give the guilty believers a free ride into heaven is a completely self-gratifying notion and is completely immoral. One does not show love for someone by having them sacrificed for the sins of others when God himself stated that we are all responsible for our own salvation and cannot put that responsibility of the shoulders of a scapegoat Jesus.

Does love need deeds and works to be expressed?

Have you seen God express his love for us lately?

Regards
DL

These following speak to this issue if you wish to view them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMXoPhgTk...r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcO4Tnrsk...re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP7SPJllNoc

RE: Can God love?
The only thing I will agree with is that love is not entirely, but necessarily an action. However, no form of god has ever shown me any action referring to love. If you feel someone died for your sins, they died for YOUR sins, not mine. I regret nothing, and hold myself accountable for everything I do.
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.” - Max Stirner.
(April 27, 2012 at 1:06 pm)jess_essential Wrote: The only thing I will agree with is that love is not entirely, but necessarily an action. However, no form of god has ever shown me any action referring to love. If you feel someone died for your sins, they died for YOUR sins, not mine. I regret nothing, and hold myself accountable for everything I do.

Essentially you will be telling God I deserve what ever comes my way.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(April 27, 2012 at 12:36 pm)Greatest I am Wrote: Can God love?

Seeing as it would have to actually exist first... I'm going to say... No.
I will tell YOUR god that EVERYBODY experiences a sense of karma in their lives, and what you put out, you get back. I will also tell YOUR god, that I dont need [him] to determine what I feel is right and wrong. I do right by people while being an atheist, god gets no thanks here.
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.” - Max Stirner.
(April 27, 2012 at 1:30 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(April 27, 2012 at 1:06 pm)jess_essential Wrote: The only thing I will agree with is that love is not entirely, but necessarily an action. However, no form of god has ever shown me any action referring to love. If you feel someone died for your sins, they died for YOUR sins, not mine. I regret nothing, and hold myself accountable for everything I do.

Essentially you will be telling God I deserve what ever comes my way.

That's not true at all. Even if your god turned out to be real, as unlikely as that is, she's not saying, "I deserve whatever comes my way."

We all deserve much better treatment from your supposed creator. This notion that he has the right to maim and kill billions on a whim just because he's omniscient is disgusting. He expects, nay, demands that we all turn the other cheek but if HE doesn't like how things are going ... look out! - because he might drown the entire planet. If anyone deserves whatever may come, it's your sick fucking god.

O and by the way, before you whip out that blood sacrifice bit to show "how much god loved us" try to remember that dieing for merely a couple days and then living eternally in a kingdom of gold with millions of mindless drones feeding your ego for an eternity is not much of a fucking sacrifice. It's actually quite pathetic.

If your god does exist ... he's a genocidal criminal and we would all be well within our rights to beat the holy fuck out of him and hang him from his own Pearly Gates.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Quote:Jesus gave us examples of the deeds and works. Feed the poor, love all our neighbours, do not sin and many others.

"Blessed are the cheesemakers."
Within a theological context the “God is Love” quote refers to an essential attribute. That attribute includes the actions of God that draw all things toward Him. As such love goes beyond both the warm and tender fondness He has for all things and the kindness and mercy He extends to His creation.
@ Greatest I am, as "deciple's" sig says God makes the rain fall on the just and the unjust. God shows His love equally. Also God the Father never forced Christ the Son to be a sacrifice for man, He could have turned it down, instead He being love completed what man needed for redemption. You act as if God is suppose to live up to your standards, the standards that can and will change to fit your wants. God's standards are eternally consistent, so that we know where we stand with God.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Quote:God makes the rain fall on the just and the unjust.

What evidence do you have that your silly-assed god makes it rain at all?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why doesn't God love his enemies? Fake Messiah 16 1304 November 30, 2022 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  God's Love Johanabrahams 724 71179 October 3, 2021 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  If god was love Foxaèr 1 1106 September 28, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Love the Lord your God with all your heart ? Angrboda 144 22501 June 20, 2016 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Does God love animals more than humans? Metis 34 7066 June 26, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  General questions about the Christian idea of God and love Mudhammam 148 26269 October 2, 2014 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Can you love on command? Greatest I am 48 10887 September 4, 2014 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  A question about the love of god Lemonvariable72 84 12527 August 13, 2014 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Brakeman
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12241 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  Why did god give mankind faulty love genes? Brakeman 4 1951 September 20, 2013 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ryantology