Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 1:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gunman Attacks Conservative Christian Group
Gunman Attacks Conservative Christian Group
Following a developing news story:
A gunman who posed as an intern and carrying a Chick-fil-A bag entered the Washington DC office of the conservative Christian group, 'Family Research Council'. The gunman shot and wounded the security guard there. After the guard wrestled the gun from him, the gunman was heard to say, "It's not about you. It's about what this place stands for."
Law enforcement investigation is viewing this as a case of domestic terrorism.

The 'Family Research Council' champions traditional marrige saying that family is the foundation of civilzation. The FRC also opposes same sex marriage. The groups current president also supported Dan Cathy's recent comments supporting traditional marriage.

In 2010, the 'Southern Poverty Law Center' labled 'FRC' a hate group because of that groups opposition to same sex marriage.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/15/gua...ncil-shot/
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
RE: Gunman Attacks Conservative Christian Group
The FRC is a hate group? While I find shooting people for their beliefs abhorrent, I have to wonder if you would have posted if it was a man attacking a gay group.
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation by Isaac Asimov.

Shell B Wrote:The FRC is a hate group? While I find shooting people for their beliefs abhorrent, I have to wonder if you would have posted if it was a man attacking a gay group.

Of course not. His whole political discourse consists of vilifying the other side in an attempt to justify the actions of the radicals that share his ideology.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 15, 2012 at 3:17 pm)Shell B Wrote: The FRC is a hate group? While I find shooting people for their beliefs abhorrent, I have to wonder if you would have posted if it was a man attacking a gay group.

I think it is newsworthy in the man-bites-dog sort of way. Hateful rhetoric spilling over into lethal action is usually the domain of the right wing nuts.
What is with all the shootings into groups of people lately? It's not a competition, people!

I'm just glad no one was killed this time.
(August 15, 2012 at 3:17 pm)Shell B Wrote: The FRC is a hate group?
The Southern Poverty Law Center are well known for mislabeling groups as "hate groups". Pretty much anyone who they don't agree with get labelled as such.
(August 15, 2012 at 3:19 pm)Faith No More Wrote: "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation by Isaac Asimov.

Shell B Wrote:The FRC is a hate group? While I find shooting people for their beliefs abhorrent, I have to wonder if you would have posted if it was a man attacking a gay group.

Of course not. His whole political discourse consists of vilifying the other side in an attempt to justify the actions of the radicals that share his ideology.
I think walking into a place with the intent of killing people is a pretty villainous act no matter who or which side is doing the shooting. Wouldn't you agree?
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
I don't have a problem with labeling the FRC as a hate group. They actively fight against same sex marriage, hate crime laws and anti-bulling policies. They use misinformation and sometimes outright lies in their attempt to shape the public debate over LGBT rights. Their leaders are on record saying things like gays should be exported not imported and buying mailing lists from David Duke. Because, don’t you know the kind of people that would support David Duke are the kind of people that would be receptive to the anti gay message. A staple of that message includes long debunked research tying homosexuality to pedophilia and what shitty parents LGBTs make. They hate gays, think they a problem in society and want to forbid them the same rights straight people have. Fuck the FRC.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(August 15, 2012 at 4:41 pm)A Theist Wrote:
(August 15, 2012 at 3:19 pm)Faith No More Wrote: "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation by Isaac Asimov.

I think walking into a place with the intent of killing people is a pretty villainous act no matter who or which side is doing the shooting. Wouldn't you agree?

No more villainous than if the other side happen to be abortion providers. Let's see you genuine rage next when an abortion provider is targeted.
Just want to get it on the record now that the worst any of the nonbelievers here have done is equate this deed with the same crimes perpetrated by religious people... which itself was the whole point of the post being made in the first place, if one ignores the fact that religious acts of this nature are more common and certainly easier for the perp to self-justify.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Is conservative Republicanism dead? Jehanne 16 1025 September 3, 2022 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The new conservative boogeyman, Drag Queens. Jehanne 26 2389 June 9, 2022 at 3:38 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  looks like the orange man group making a come back.. Drich 190 10563 December 25, 2020 at 10:03 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 1447 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  Border Patrol secret group Figbash 31 2156 July 3, 2019 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Aegon
  Conservative Asskisser Wants Obama Back Minimalist 8 1988 July 20, 2018 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: A Theist
  Article in the NYT looking at liberal vs conservative polarization Whateverist 16 1507 March 12, 2018 at 2:52 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Florida school shooting: FBI mishandled tip on gunman's 'desire to kill' WinterHold 7 1076 February 18, 2018 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Conservative and Gay John V 42 5063 January 27, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Fake CNN report recorded on tape; 2017; London Attacks WinterHold 12 4973 June 27, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: FFaith