Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OK Christians. your chance. Convince me of God.
OK Christians. your chance. Convince me of God.
OK Christians. Your chance. Convince me god is real.

Hint: I don't believe the bible is the revealed word of god so don't quote passages at me as if they are some sort of authority.

I'm an atheist. I have a degree in Philosophy so I follow logic. Don't bother with heartwarming stories or blackmail.
RE: OK Christians. your chance. Convince me of God.
(September 18, 2012 at 7:38 am)Puddleglum Wrote: OK Christians. Your chance. Convince me god is real.

Hint: I don't believe the bible is the revealed word of god so don't quote passages at me as if they are some sort of authority.

I'm an atheist. I have a degree in Philosophy so I follow logic. Don't bother with heartwarming stories or blackmail.

You do know in Christianity it is not the 'Christian' who is to convince you of anything right? Our sole responsiablity begins and ends with directing those who want to know God to the path He perscribes to find Him.

That can done several ways. By, living an example. By Answering questions. By worshiping together. Or a combination of all three. Forcing someone to believe through badgering or make someone accept God's truth through Logic and philosphy is not consistent with the charge we have been given. We all have been given this life in order to make a choice as to where we wish to spend our time in eternity. If you choose in your heart not to want to be with God then it would be wrong to force you to accept Him. In short it is God's responsiablity to provide you what you need to acheive belief and help you maintain it. It is your responsiablity to ask, seek and knock for these things if you do not already have them. God makes a promise. If you hold up your end He will open the gates of heaven and to you and hold up His end.
(September 18, 2012 at 9:24 am)Drich Wrote:
(September 18, 2012 at 7:38 am)Puddleglum Wrote: OK Christians. Your chance. Convince me god is real.

You do know in Christianity it is not the 'Christian' who is to convince you of anything right? Our sole responsiablity begins and ends with directing those who want to know God to the path He perscribes to find Him.

That can done several ways. By, living an example. By Answering questions. By worshiping together. Or a combination of all three. Forcing someone to believe through badgering or make someone accept God's truth through Logic and philosphy is not consistent with the charge we have been given. We all have been given this life in order to make a choice as to where we wish to spend our time in eternity. If you choose in your heart not to want to be with God then it would be wrong to force you to accept Him. In short it is God's responsiablity to provide you what you need to acheive belief and help you maintain it. It is your responsiablity to ask, seek and knock for these things if you do not already have them. God makes a promise. If you hold up your end He will open the gates of heaven and to you and hold up His end.

Nobody chooses in his heart not to believe in God. It's just that God is playing such a wonderfully successful game of hide-and-seek that there is not the smallest trace of evidence of his existence. Anyone with some intelligence is bound to conclude that a being that claims to be all-loving, all-compassionate and interfering in human affairs and even answers prayers (can you believe that?) should at least leave a blazing trail of evidence of his existence. But to have zilch evidence speaks loudly of his non-existence. Atheists and rational Christians are just being honest when we dispute the supernatural bits of religion.
Thats convenient.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
That didn't do it for me. Still unconvinced.
Whatever happened to 1 Peter 3:15, Ditch? Shouldn't you "be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you"?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I made this deal with the almighty a long time ago. I figure, if god is all knowing, it knows what criteria would have to be met to prove its existence to me. If god is all powerful, meeting that criteria is well within its reach. If god is as omnibenevolent as believers say and it tortures non-believers for eternity because of disbelief, logic follows that said god would be able to convince me of its existence and would be strongly motivated to do so. So far, I haven't seen any supernatural deity so much as lift a finger to reveal themselves to me.

So I made a deal with anything out there you might consider a god: show me that you actually exist and I'll worship you. I haven't had any responses; this silence leads me to believe that god either doesn't exist or wants me to believe it doesn't exist (and if my disbelief is part of god's plan, who am I to question gods plan?).
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
@OP

If I were still a Christian I'd tell you that it doesn't work that way. You can't be convinced into believing something. Only you can take that last step which is the leap of faith from rationality to something that has no proof. Otherwise if knowledge was given to you then you don't actually 'believe' but just simply 'know' god is real. That's not how faith works.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
A christian's sole responsibility begins and ends with judging, condemning and destroying anything that does not meet personal approval.
Because their god lobotomizes them upon entering heaven, they couldn't give two shits whether or not their own rebellious children "find god," let alone some stranger in cyber space.

Trust me Puddleglum, their god doesn't give a shit about you, if he did he wouldn't be constantly reminding you to "seek for him." He'd get off his lazy ass and save you like any REAL father would do.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Plenty of christians would disagree with you even further, blathering on incessantly about all the shit they think they "know" about gods.

There are harder sells in the world, of course. I'd need a fair bit more than a demonstration of the reality of god to become a christian, for example.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13183 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  I'm a Universalist - Can anyone convince me of 'Eternal Damnationism'? The Kreisel 16 1443 February 26, 2021 at 3:02 am
Last Post: beepete
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 9192 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7836 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? Cecelia 96 10506 September 5, 2018 at 6:19 pm
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15048 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
  Christians: Does Your God Have Testicles and Ovaries? chimp3 97 18439 April 1, 2018 at 1:37 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Ex-Christians: How do you lose your fear of hell? KiwiNFLFan 29 5644 November 20, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Christians, your god is gay. I have proof! rado84 82 19158 March 10, 2017 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  CHRISTIANS, you only have 3 days left to get rid of your XMAS TREE! 21stCenturyIconoclast 22 4212 December 24, 2016 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: 21stCenturyIconoclast