Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would make me accept the existence of a deity?
What would make me accept the existence of a deity?
This is what all theists want to know. What would make an atheist accept the existence of a deity?

First, what will never get there: people telling me about their favorite deity.
Ever since I was born, the only source of information about any deity, has come to me through other people. Either orally, or through writing, it's always people.
I don't believe what other people say about deities, for the simple reason that I can always find other people claiming similar things about some other deity.

So people or books telling me about deities are not the way to go.

What would do the trick, then?

The deity itself imparting that information on me. Directly, unequivocally.
How, for certain, I don't know.
Perhaps, making me a god for some time. Or just giving me some super-natural powers, such as the ability to regrow amputated limbs, or even decayed brain cells from Alzheimer's patients.

How would I discern it from "aliens did it"? I don't know.

But I'm guessing, if such a deity really wanted me to be aware of its existence, it would find a way. Wink
RE: What would make me accept the existence of a deity?
Perhaps Poca, making you aware of it's existence is not actually a spell that this god is capable of casting after all. Never rule out incompetence...lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 11, 2013 at 3:22 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Perhaps Poca, making you aware of it's existence is not actually a spell that this god is capable of casting after all. Never rule out incompetence...lol.

Omniincompetence.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(January 11, 2013 at 3:22 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Perhaps Poca, making you aware of it's existence is not actually a spell that this god is capable of casting after all. Never rule out incompetence...lol.

If we assume it managed to accomplish it for other people, some time ago, then I'm guessing we could rule out incompetence.
Or are my standards that much higher than illiterate, desert people?
No reason to assume that, they're clearly dolts who were incapable of adequately assessing their own experiences, you're looking for a god that actually exists, correct? In any case, I ran a record fast 5 mile for my battalion once -only once-...I could never duplicate it. Maybe god just got that one call out by luck in the distant past, without understanding how he accomplished it (since we're making assumptions....). Accidents, however happy, don't confer competence.

Plug in whatever you like, perhaps god is babbling constantly but due to the phases of the moon and alignment of the planets (or whatevers clever these days) somebody just overheard a snippet of it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 11, 2013 at 3:16 pm)pocaracas Wrote: But I'm guessing, if such a deity really wanted me to be aware of its existence, it would find a way. Wink

If any god existed and really were omnipotent, it could simply will the truth of itself into all of us just like that. Some theists say "the truth of god is in all of our hearts" but this is obviously false.
(January 11, 2013 at 3:16 pm)pocaracas Wrote: This is what all theists want to know. What would make an atheist accept the existence of a deity?

My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
a blowjob by a deity
God-tier weed.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
It's so easy: God appearing.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4086 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 10782 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Quantum Physics Proves God’s Existence blue grey brain 15 1865 January 2, 2019 at 11:08 pm
  Why are you chasing the idea of the existence of a God? WinterHold 26 3272 August 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm
  11-Year-Old College Grad Wants to Pursue Astrophysics to Prove God’s Existence Foxaèr 49 6874 August 2, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  So can god end his own existence? Vast Vision 53 14131 July 27, 2017 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  what believers accept without thinking Akat4891 17 6309 June 14, 2017 at 5:28 pm
  Why can't Christians accept the fact that Hitler was a Christian NuclearEnergy 118 16673 April 18, 2017 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  What self-subsists, maximum or minimal existence? Mystic 19 2159 March 16, 2017 at 2:51 am
Last Post: masterofpuppets
  Why would a perfect being make an imperfect world? Socrates 138 30993 February 25, 2017 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Godscreated