Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let the church wither.....
Let the church wither.....
A great article....

http://apnews.excite.com/article/2013031...7K301.html

Quote:Across large swaths of Europe, empty pews and empty pulpits are the stark reality of centuries-old churches in a continent where, not so long ago, the village spire was the main point of reference for society. In Italy, the Vatican's own backyard, being Catholic often seems more a cultural trait than a way of worship. Traditionally Catholic France and Ireland are also turning away from the church. Even in deeply devout Poland, the nation of the widely beloved Pope John Paul II, faith is starting to waver.

Of course, there are still some catholics who still hang on to the old delusions.

Quote:"For the first time in decades we have someone with a new outlook on the world," he said. "We haven't had that in a long time."

A- They said the same shit when Herr Von Popenfuhrer took over from the Pollack and,

B- This clown is the same old shit as all the rest of them.

Granted it doesn't take a lot to fool catholics but they do seem to be a dying breed.
RE: Let the church wither.....
Institutions will usually reform rather than die and usually won't reform until they face death. The RCC will be around for awhile yet, and although it probably won't regain everything it's lost, the new, improved version may be more stable. The worst-case scenario for the church is they wait too long and die of reform when they attempt it after the critical mass of people who crave reform have given up and left, or die a slower death of excess conservatism if they decide to hang on to what's left by not changing.
Yes, Christianity has withered in Europe. Question is, what will replace it - atheism or Islam?
(March 19, 2013 at 11:34 am)John V Wrote: Yes, Christianity has withered in Europe. Question is, what will replace it - atheism or Islam?

Going by numbers, atheism is clearly in the lead. There's no EU country more than half Muslim.
Religion has made itself irrelevant to modern life. No one - except the incredibly stupid - buys their happy horseshit any more.
Min, there are still too many of those "incredibly stupid" people around.
Time is helping....

[Image: MP-2013-03-15.gif]
(March 19, 2013 at 11:36 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: Going by numbers, atheism is clearly in the lead. There's no EU country more than half Muslim.
In the lead now, certainly. The question is really about birth rates and migration. Note that I plainly say question. I'm not making an argument one way or another, as there are just too many variables and no way to know whether current trends will continue.
let's see, what does atheists churches offer compared to belonging to a theists church.

"rich", less need for focusing on others and more on yourself.
"Poor" , less focus on me, and help us all.

List the risks vs. benefits, then decide for yourself
the word balance comes to mind.

me, being athiest, don't much care either way.
(March 20, 2013 at 12:09 pm)archangle Wrote: let's see, what does atheists churches offer compared to belonging to a theists church.

"rich", less need for focusing on others and more on yourself.
"Poor" , less focus on me, and help us all.

List the risks vs. benefits, then decide for yourself
the word balance comes to mind.

me, being athiest, don't much care either way.

Jawdrop

Seriously, you are a christian passing for atheist, simply because you are fundamentally wrong about what atheism is, but for the nth time I'll repeat: Atheism is the rejection of claims that god or gods exist. That is all you can derive from that notion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1241 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink vorlon13 11 2681 August 1, 2017 at 12:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4156 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Let's see how many apologetics take the bait Joods 127 18309 July 16, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Let's talk about... yaweh dyresand 106 9861 March 12, 2016 at 10:39 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Let's Talk About Saints! BrianSoddingBoru4 7 1903 March 8, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Let me get this straight... dyresand 92 16054 October 12, 2015 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Hell.. so yeah let's fact check dyresand 6 2274 September 1, 2015 at 11:55 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Let's get the fact's straight dyresand 74 11470 July 10, 2015 at 1:57 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
Question Why did God let people think demons cause epilepsy? Razzle 34 7687 May 22, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: Drich