Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mass murderer converts to religion more appropriate to his behavior
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013...rts-islam/

I know, it sounds as if I'm just picking on a religion which has a boner for killing lots of people, but in this case, that's only part of it. Note that one of the sources appears to be the National Enquirer, so prepare a grain of salt if you must.

Quote:A prison source say the beard James Holmes sported in court last months represents his new-found faith. The source said Mr. Holmes has turned Muslim as a way of justifying his horrific crimes on July 20 which left 12 people dead and 58 people wounded, the Daily Mail reports.

“He has brainwashed himself into believing he was on his own personal jihad and that his victims were infidels,” the source told the National Enquirer.
RE: Mass murderer converts to religion more appropriate to his behavior
Hell, the thing you linked to was from the Washington Post, the newspaper owned by Sun Myung Moon.

Of course, let me put my two cents on the motives of James Holmes. I've got an interest in psychology and, as a matter of fact, I'm working on a story with Jane Hamilton about a man who commits a murder and concocts this bizarre story so he can cope with it, and I think that something might be happening with James Holmes.

My theory: James Holmes was beginning to get burnt out after his short-lived attempt at a neuroscience PhD. Not entirely sure of what would happen after that, he decided that the best thing to do was to go nuts and kill people. If he was shot, he'd get shot. If he was caught, well, at least the state of Colorado would pay his rent, to paraphrase a Kingston Trio song, for the rest of his life. However, after he did the shooting, it began to sink in that he couldn't live with himself after this. Notably, in November, he'd try to kill himself in Jail. Nonetheless, he knew he had to live with himself, since the powers that be decided to ruin his death. Then, I'm not sure if it's from some garbled memory of a World Religions class, or due to the intervention of fellow prisoners, he learns about "The Religion of Peace." He learns about the principle of Jihad, and latches on to the idea of the "Jihad of the Sword." With this, he can justify the slaughter of 12 people. After all, at least as far as he knows, none of the people he killed are Muslim. With this, and the rituals, he can recieve peace of mind.

Of course, traditionally, the idea of the "Jihad of the Self," combatting the devil in onesself, is more important than the "Jihad of the Sword" in Islam, but either Holmes believes that his act of rationalisation is an acceptable substitute for Jihad of the Self, or he's ignoring it entirely.

Any thoughts? Is my interpretation of Jihad or James Holmes' mind at least sound?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(March 21, 2013 at 6:12 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Any thoughts? Is my interpretation of Jihad or James Holmes' mind at least sound?

In one of my philosophy groups, we're reading Foucault, and so the subject of post-modernism and deconstruction came up, which prompted me to introduce them to the concept of 'reading as rewriting'. In a same vein, perhaps remembering is rewriting.

I don't have much atm, but I agree with your analysis.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(March 21, 2013 at 4:26 pm)Ryantology Wrote: the Daily Mail reports.
Translation: this report is most likely bullshit.
Actually, this is okay. When they hang him it will be one less muslim.
(March 22, 2013 at 3:01 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
Also, as mentioned before, the Washington Post was the site linked to, which is even more right-wing, and may be the most right-wing "mainstream" newspaper in America.

(March 22, 2013 at 4:15 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Actually, this is okay. When they hang him it will be one less muslim.
Actually, it's not terribly likely that he will hang; in the 35 years since the reintroduction of the death penalty, Colorado has executed exactly one prisoner. And it looks like there are efforts to abolish capital punishment in the state anyway.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Too bad. I'm not usually in favor of it but in this case it seems to be the only appropriate response.
(March 22, 2013 at 3:01 pm)Tiberius Wrote:

I keep forgetting which one of the popular UK publications is the horse shit one. Although, with references to the National Enquirer I'm not surprised.
(March 22, 2013 at 6:09 pm)Ryantology Wrote: I keep forgetting which one of the popular UK publications is the horse shit one. Although, with references to the National Enquirer I'm not surprised.
It's not just that one. There are plenty. The Sun is another one.

The Times, Guardian, Telegraph, and the Independent are the more respectable ones.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Search for Converts Leonardo17 15 1028 October 3, 2022 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The true story of Prophet Mohammed and His Young Wife Aisha Believe Heart 31 2067 September 25, 2022 at 11:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  His throne is on water..stunning scientific theory that the Quran foretold 1400 y ago WinterHold 113 21521 March 2, 2020 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Has Anyone Come Across Any Evidence of Pre-Muhmamamd Mass Graves of Female Babies? ReptilianPeon 10 1431 February 7, 2019 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Quran's prohibition against terrorism and mass killing WinterHold 32 5216 May 18, 2018 at 4:23 am
Last Post: yragnitup
  The Abrahamic sacrifice of his son. Mystic 182 18297 March 29, 2018 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Converted2Islam on YouTube shares his reasons for apostatizing ReptilianPeon 10 2578 July 17, 2016 at 1:04 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  IS: "Islam was never a religion of peace. Islam is the religion of fighting" Napoléon 11 5443 May 15, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Fatwa allowing husband to eat his wife. Ksa 3 1822 April 16, 2015 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  ISIS: Every Muslim should get out of his house, find a crusader, and kill him mralstoner 8 2796 October 14, 2014 at 8:15 am
Last Post: Dragonetti