Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is researching into religion a waste of time?
Is researching into religion a waste of time?
There is many religions out there. And there is arguments against each one of them. Yet, there is probably counter arguments to many of those arguments that refute those arguments.

And in each religion, there is many sects.

Somebody can think it's a noble thing to go into researching all the religions.

But what will it achieve at the end?

Do any of the religions of an action plan of how to implement justice in society? Maybe in the primitive past, they did, but not when things are getting complicated, what is their use?

It's one thing to say my religion teaches to rise up for justice. But how to go even implementing that?

Most people of every religion aren't aware of arguments against their religion and counter arguments etc...and they haven't thought too much about the issue.

But for someone who doesn't know about religions, why should he go research them, as oppose to gaining knowledge in economics, political structure, policies, how money is spent, organization, human rights, law, etc...things that can make him an informed voice on how society should be runned?

A lot of people spend a lot of energy researching into religion. I've spent so much energy on the Shia-Sunni issue for example.

I've read some of the Bible, but why should I devote myself to researching religions?

If I decide to devote myself to learning about things that govern humanity, influence people I care about, might result in me knowing how to make the world a better place etc...practical things...practical solutions...practical ways of going about achieving a better world....

And suppose there was a right religion out there, why in the hell, would God want me to care to find that religion instead of prioritizing my research into human sciences?

And what should I be concerned about preaching to people. Come to a religion which will dictate you on how to live or tell people, come let's seek knowledge so that we can empower ourselves.

Why is so much energy of society drained on religion?

I've wasted too much of my life researching into religion.

If God prefers I research to find the true religion as opposed to devote myself to the oppressed, the poor, the hungry, and well being of society and gaining knowledge that will help them...then from my perspective right now he is a douchebag that I don't want to worship or even know.
RE: Is researching into religion a waste of time?
I'd say that if a person spent time researching religion earnestly hoping to find an actual fairy painting dew on the tulips....yes, that would be a massive waste of time. Course, I'm not sure whether it really matters if such a person has their time wasted. What else were they going to do with it? Crop circle research? Bigfootology? Meh.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Pure religion and undefiled before God {Jesus} and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. James 1:27 This verse explaines their are but two criterion which God commands of religion, the first being to suport ones fellow man in their needs, and the second, to keep oneself from sin, End of. It is man who has invented systems of belief, full of un-scriptual doctrins and preached them with swelling words filled with vanity from lofty pulpit's in lavish temples. To judge God, haveing not personally read His testament and then blame Him for the foolishness of men is guilefully naive.
Another woefully unoriginal generalization from good news. I've read the entire bible, numbnuts. Your god is a selfish, jealous, vengeful, hypocritical, murderous, sexist, fuckwit if he do exist. Which he don't, so feel elation in that. I know I do.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(May 17, 2013 at 9:06 am)goodnews Wrote: Pure religion and undefiled before God {Jesus} and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. James 1:27 This verse explaines their are but two criterion which God commands of religion, the first being to suport ones fellow man in their needs, and the second, to keep oneself from sin, End of. It is man who has invented systems of belief, full of un-scriptual doctrins and preached them with swelling words filled with vanity from lofty pulpit's in lavish temples. To judge God, haveing not personally read His testament and then blame Him for the foolishness of men is guilefully naive.

"His testament" is a book that says "I'm right because I'm right". Fuck that noise.
(May 17, 2013 at 9:06 am)goodnews Wrote: Pure religion and undefiled before God {Jesus} and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. James 1:27 This verse explaines their are but two criterion which God commands of religion, the first being to suport ones fellow man in their needs, and the second, to keep oneself from sin, End of. It is man who has invented systems of belief, full of un-scriptual doctrins and preached them with swelling words filled with vanity from lofty pulpit's in lavish temples. To judge God, haveing not personally read His testament and then blame Him for the foolishness of men is guilefully naive.

Well, lets see now........
Your God commanded far more than that, and I think you are fully aware of this. In the old testament you had all that old Mosaic law that was positively impossible to live by successfully. Then when the people could not do so they got “smitten” but good. Repeatedly, I might add. And Jesus had more than “visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world” to say as well, else they could have saved an awful lot of red ink when printing the gospels. They could have just had him delivering the 11th commandment and then wrapped it up. Oh, yeah I almost forgot all that fanatical unhinged ranting coming from Paul....., much of which was most misogynist. Seeing as how he was sort of chosen by God to spread his word I should think what he said counted. Further, he seemed to think the end times were not all that far off. Guess he was wrong about that...

Oh yeah, there is no such word as “guilefully”. Did you perhaps mean “willfully”?Thinking
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

Depends on what you're researching.

Religions, I admit, do have some great mythologies, history, and back stories. Great for ideas or inspiration when creating fictional dramas.

Like back in my D&D playing days, I did a little looking into the Greek and Norse mythologies.
Helped me when creating my own modules for my players. Tongue

(Maybe 1000 years from now Wizards of the Coast will incorporate the Christian mythology into a new module series.... Thinking)
Yes. A complete waste of time.
I think all research into mental health issues is worthwhile.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Yes. Whatever the purpose, yes. They're just fiarytales. If you want a good story, go to the library.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Time For a New Religion The Valkyrie 14 1800 August 16, 2023 at 4:47 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2547 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  More insight into religion: logical and emotional beliefs robvalue 22 3484 August 16, 2016 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10733 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4907 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19829 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Jehovah’s seem to be trying to get my 85 year old father into their cult hogwash 23 6033 July 24, 2015 at 12:38 am
Last Post: hogwash
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49330 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion into the Future bladevalant546 14 3651 August 25, 2014 at 8:28 am
Last Post: bladevalant546
  If God is all mighty,why doesn't he change bad people/seiners into good ones? Phish 54 20219 March 19, 2013 at 8:35 am
Last Post: EGross