Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't have to read The Bible to reject Christianity. Right?
Don't have to read The Bible to reject Christianity. Right?
I sure see a lot of Bible-thumping around here. Why do Christians insist on telling us we should read the bible?

Telling us "That's not what it says!" after we misinterpret their interpretaion, then, giving us a new one! I don't care what it says!

In the words of Sam Harris, it's "playing tennis without the net". What point is there to arguing biblical scripture when there is no consensus even on the same pew of a church on the right way to read it??

They can't even agree on exactly what hell is, or the Christian stance towards social issues such as Gay marriage. These people are lemmings that are constantly searching for someone, thing, or book to tell them how to live their lives. Why would I care what they think when they can't think for themselves? Its perpetual circular logic, but they seem to think it should BE CONTAGIOUS! Look...

Bob doesn't know what to think.

Jim says he doesn't either, but has a reliable thinking process he uses to understand other things, and would like to share it with Bob.

Bob doesn't want to hear it from Jim.

Bob finds a book.

The book tells Bob what to think.

Bob now wants to tell Jim what to think.

Jim can think for himself, and tells Bob to fuck off.

Bob judges Jim for his lack of knowledge pertaining to his book.

Jim thinks Bob is a nutsack.
RE: Don't have to read The Bible to reject Christianity. Right?
(July 25, 2013 at 10:28 am)Texas Sailor Wrote: I sure see a lot of Bible-thumping around here. Why do Christians insist on telling us we should read the bible?

Telling us "That's not what it says!" after we misinterpret their interpretaion, then, giving us a new one! I don't care what it says!

In the words of Sam Harris, it's "playing tennis without the net". What point is there to arguing biblical scripture when there is no consensus even on the same pew of a church on the right way to read it??

They can't even agree on exactly what hell is, or the Christian stance towards social issues such as Gay marriage. These people are lemmings that are constantly searching for someone, thing, or book to tell them how to live their lives. Why would I care what they think when they can't think for themselves? Its perpetual circular logic, but they seem to think it should BE CONTAGIOUS! Look...

Bob doesn't know what to think.

Jim says he doesn't either, but has a reliable thinking process he uses to understand other things, and would like to share it with Bob.

Bob doesn't want to hear it from Jim.

Bob finds a book.

The book tells Bob what to think.

Bob now wants to tell Jim what to think.

Jim can think for himself, and tells Bob to fuck off.

Bob judges Jim for his lack of knowledge pertaining to his book.

Jim thinks Bob is a nutsack.

I certainly don't need to argue the Bible to reject Christianity.
Whatever version of Christianity you're selling, it doesn't add up logically or morally.

Vicarious redemption, blood sacrifice, magical occurrences, etc.

And lack of evidence for the existence of any gods.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
I don't need to argue the bible to reject Christianity, either, because the bible has no authority. The only authority it has is based on circular reasoning: "God is real because the bible says so, and the bible is true because God wrote it."
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Both correct answers, but skim through the threads. It's inevitable that a theist will assert that an Atheist's lack of familiarity of The Bible is some how a crippling blow to their objections to the faith it supports. It's an absolute head-scratcher.
That is because according to the theist, one only truly knows scripture and how it is properly interpreted if one has his head up god's ass.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Bwahhh! Ha ha ha ha!
I was going to put this in "Humor" but it works better here.

[Image: 66b71120afa70130db97001dd8b71c47]
I'm of the mind that people should read the Bible. They should start from Genesis and read it with the same level of scrutiny that one would use when reading "The Once and Future King", "The Epic of Gilgamesh", and "Mythology". Literature should always be treated as literature though, and never as absolute infallible fact.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
I've met so many people that became atheist because they learned MORE of the bible not less.

If you want someone to stay a Christian don't let them read the bible. Just have the preacher read bits to them at Sunday service. Letting them have their own copy to take home is just asking for it.

They might actually start reading it. Then Christianity is screwed. Lost another one!
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(July 25, 2013 at 11:05 am)Texas Sailor Wrote: Both correct answers, but skim through the threads. It's inevitable that a theist will assert that an Atheist's lack of familiarity of The Bible is some how a crippling blow to their objections to the faith it supports. It's an absolute head-scratcher.

It's not really a head scratcher. The implication is quite clear: anybody who actually understood what they are talking about would obviously agree with the person making that assertion.

It's not confusing. Just the garden variety narcissism and inability to comprehend the perspective of others that many theists fall victim to.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44037 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Questions I have had about the Bible recently... FlatAssembler 12 2119 July 24, 2021 at 4:51 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88809 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 5374 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  So Bible rules don't apply to rich white people Fake Messiah 42 11092 March 19, 2018 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I just read the catholic cathechism Der/die AtheistIn 25 5353 February 25, 2018 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Wanted: Christians who reject the supernatural and a literal afterlife. Whateverist 48 11983 October 20, 2017 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Have you read the good book? Angrboda 147 21871 March 23, 2017 at 10:28 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  For Those Who'd Like To Read It. Minimalist 7 1262 December 29, 2016 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Papers that every Christian should read! Jehanne 3 977 December 8, 2016 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Jehanne