Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence?
Evidence?
Hey, hope you dont mind me making another thread,

Im quite interested in what you consider evidence for God. I hear it alot, people asking for evidence but it also seems they also discount anything that could be counted as evidence at the same time, so making it impossible for belief in God my their own definition.

So what do you call evidence? A good arguement for God (such as the philosophical arguements for God), others personal experience of God/miracles, literal data on God Himself, your own personal experience of God, miracles, etc?

To be honest I believe person evidence is the only way people ever believe and that the others just make people consider it.

Solarwave
Mark Taylor: "Religious conflict will be less a matter of struggles between belief and unbelief than of clashes between believers who make room for doubt and those who do not."

Einstein: “The most unintelligible thing about nature is that it is intelligible”
RE: Evidence?
I'll answer your question with a question if I may.

What do you believe to be evidence for your specific god?

Clearly you think there is evidence, otherwise you wouldn't believe in him/her/it. So what is that evidence?
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
Thats like a whole other thread kind of question and it would totally derail the this thread before it started.

Ask me again somewhere else or later when I've had more responses.
Mark Taylor: "Religious conflict will be less a matter of struggles between belief and unbelief than of clashes between believers who make room for doubt and those who do not."

Einstein: “The most unintelligible thing about nature is that it is intelligible”
Solarwave,

For me a prayer study that showed a statistically significant, positively correlated difference between the "prayed for" group and the control would do it.

If you don't mind reading through past threads here is one that ran around this same maypole:
http://atheistforums.org/thread-1540.htm...conversion

Rhizo
(September 29, 2009 at 5:11 pm)solarwave Wrote: Thats like a whole other thread kind of question and it would totally derail the this thread before it started.

No it isn't!

Derail? I ain't seeing it. You are basicly asking for what kind of evidence that could support your claim that is satisfactory. Well as long as god is non-temporal that is an impossibility. Can't help you there I'm affraid. Not our problem, it's your claim you prove it.

Also I'd like to make clear that atheists do not need a reason to lack belief in a god or gods. Everyone starts off with no belief in a god.

I'm Ace by the way. Jolly good to meet ya!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
How can it be my claim to prove if you just said its impossible to have proof? Isn't that just giving up

But yh hi to you too, good meeting

Rhizo:

I might read the link if I have time.

As for the prayer group, do you think God would knowingly be tested by us?

(September 29, 2009 at 6:04 pm)solarwave Wrote: How can it be my claim to prove if you just said its impossible to have proof? Isn't that just giving up

But yh hi to you too, good meeting

It's your claim, it's down to you to prove it weather it's possible or not. The burden of proof is on the one who claims. Not my problem. Can't prove a non-temporal beings existence. That's the problem. Good tactic because it cannot be disproved but is a bad tac since it also cannot be proven. So it's a bit of a catch really.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Solarwave,

Ace is right, the onus is on you to prove your assertion that there is a God. If God has any effect on reality it should leave a measurable trace. According to the bible, God should act on our reality through prayer so we should be able to see his effects from prayer studies.

Any atheist that states something to the effect of, "There is no God." also has to provide proof! The only rational course that occurs to me is to simply say there probably is not a god because there is no evidence that one exists.

Why would God hide from us? Especially seeing how present he was in the bible. Is he afraid of labcoats?

Rhizo
Evidence that meets the rigorous standards of the scientific method.

And of course theists will insist it's not possible, but if a God can interact with this world, then should be tangible ways of studying it. I don't believe in this crap of "non-overlapping magisteria".

As Rhiz said, a prayer study that demonstrably showed Catholic prayers are answered over any other denomination of Christianity and any other religion, then hey, there's something there.

But as others said, you have the burden of proof. If God came down to me and showed me he was a God and performed miracles right in front of me, I might believe he exists, but if it's the God of Christianity, I most certainly would not worship that god. (Believing and worshiping are two different things.) Lastly, I would know that I could not come onto these forums and expect any one of the atheists here to believe me. Without tangible proof they cannot discern whether it happened, I was delusional, mistaken, or I am lying. Applying Occam's razor means the latter three options are most likely true be true, therefore logically they are correct in rejecting my claim. This is was it means to lack belief.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I'll accept a rapture as proof of the Christian god. But of course, there is no rapture.
I'd accept a second coming as proof. But of course there has been no second coming.
In fact, I'd accept any real miracle, but the Christian god never gets around to doing one.

However, there's a mountain of evidence that proves the Christian god is a fraud. And I accept that evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 6673 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4100 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If theists understood "evidence" Foxaèr 135 13542 October 10, 2018 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Moses parting the sea evidence or just made up Smain 12 2906 June 28, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Best Evidence For God and Against God The Joker 49 9624 November 22, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Scientific evidence of God by an atheist (Where mankind is one likely type of God) ProgrammingGodJordan 324 49376 November 22, 2016 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Chas
  Someone, Show me Evidence of God. ScienceAf 85 11525 September 12, 2016 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Please give me evidence for God. Socratic Meth Head 142 21834 March 23, 2016 at 5:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Evidence of NDEs Jehanne 22 4422 December 21, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I'm God. What evidence do I need to provide? robvalue 297 28022 November 16, 2015 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet