Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:37 am

Poll: How should kids affect your decision for divorce?
This poll is closed.
For the sake of the kids divorce should not be an option.
4.55%
1 4.55%
Sometimes divorce is what's beat for the kids.
50.00%
11 50.00%
It isn't about the kids.
45.45%
10 45.45%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Divorce and the kids
Divorce and the kids
I have heard all of them:
Your kids should be your priority.
Your kids will suffer the most.
Think about how your decision will affect them.
This isn't about you, it's about the kids.

Just where does the line fall between it being okay to stick to it for the sake of the kids and when it is appropriate to get a divorce? Is it right to stay in a relationship that is hurtful, quiet (conversations never happen), and constantly breaking for the sake of the kids? Is this healthy for them?
What do you think about divorce when kids are in the picture?

* best... Not beat lol
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
RE: Divorce and the kids
I voted it isn't about the kids, but that's not really how I feel about it.

Kids suffer when their parents stay in a broken relationship. Fix it if you can, but if you can't - you will fuck up your kids and give them unhealthy ideas about what relationships are about if you stay in an unhealthy relationship.
If parents aren't happy, kids know it. If parents are miserable, kids REALLY know it.

Divorce is really fucking hard on kids. Living with miserable parents is worse. I know. I spent most of my family feeling from the age of 12 to 22 wishing my parents would just get divorced and stop making all of us suffer, and having no way to have that conversation with them. Then they did get divorced, and all of us have been happy since then.

The worst effect on me was not having any understanding of what a good partnership looked like. Happy parents are important to having happy kids.
My parents divorced when I was about 5 years old. It sucked growing up without a father, but I think it would suck even more with all the fighting between them. I love my dad and even though I didn't spend that much time with him (after divorce when I'd go to him or he'd visit me) I really don't see any reason why my mother wouldn't want to live with him; it may seem weird but I've never asked either of them why they divorced. My personal advice would be if your partner has bad influence on your kids then divorce may be the best option but if it's just between two of you, try as hard as you can to fix it. Remember that divorce will have an impact on your kids so talk, talk and talk more but if you know that it ain't gonna work then, unfortunately, you may have to divorce.
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

My parents got divorced when I was ~4... and my brother was 1.5 years younger.
We stayed with our father, because the guilty party was my mum... she cheated.

Well, to me, it's the normal state, to have them both separated. I have no memory whatsoever of them living together.
People tell me that, at the time, I suffered a bit, became sad and annoyed at everything. Daycare seems to have had the worst time with me.
But I got over it.... I have no memory of those times... trauma, maybe... I don't know. Don't care.
My dad did the best job he knew how to and I can only thank him for the person I am today.

So... go ahead with your life... The kids adapt and, in time, understand or simply don't care, it becomes the norm.
Whoever picks the first option is an idiot IMO. Two stressed parents are going to raise a messed up kid.

I would vote a combination of the second two. I wouldn't want to be miserable my whole life and as I said, the kids would be worse off for staying together in a relationship that is broken.
No creator in the heavens above (I am the lightning)
Rest your weary mind
No demons in the furnace below (I am the frenzy)
I have realized I AM GOD
My parents marriage was a complete sham, it was broken since the time i can remember anything. And it really screwed me up. Staying in a shit marriage is only gunna make the kid worse.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
It isn't about the kids. The kids will feel shit about it, sure; but they'll get over it.

When people say stupid shit like "Stay together for the sake of the kids" it makes me want to slap them. For the sake of the kids??? What do they even mean by that? Do they genuinely think it is healthy to teach kids that they should stay with someone even when they no longer love them? No, if it was about the kids at all, it's better to teach them to understand that if they aren't happy, they can change that and let themselves be happy again. Being miserable with your life wouldn't do your kids any good at all.

But it's not about the kids, it's about you doing what's best for you. This is your life and you're not going to get another one, so do what's best for you.
(October 4, 2013 at 8:13 pm)NoraBrimstone Wrote: But it's not about the kids, it's about you doing what's best for you. This is your life and you're not going to get another one, so do what's best for you.
No. Do what's best for you AND the kids.
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

Sure it`s hard for children, but one should not forget how the adults in a releationship feel about it. I believe only a few things are as crushing for ones mental health as a loveless releationship. And I am certain that even when it`s though on the kids, they will eventualy get use to it.

Other than that, in cases where one has to deal with an abusive husband or mother, there shouldnt be any question about how nececery a divore is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nutella is for fat people and kids, right? Foxaèr 12 984 November 6, 2020 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Are parents allowed to stay with little kids if infected with covid 19 ? Megabullshit 30 1756 April 3, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Should poor people have kids? BrokenQuill92 78 4939 November 29, 2019 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Something young kids today will never understand Foxaèr 114 12315 June 2, 2018 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  All the cool kids are making questionnaires, so what the actual, am I right? c172 8 1060 April 5, 2018 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  My brother's getting a divorce Mr.Obvious 10 2045 January 12, 2018 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Divorce questions/thoughts Kosh 57 10459 December 31, 2017 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Divorce Drama Won2blv 9 841 November 20, 2017 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  If Only The Kids Could Read and Count. Minimalist 1 871 August 26, 2017 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Funny things your kids say J a c k 24 4171 March 1, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire