Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 1:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Matter of Faith
A Matter of Faith
I have a question about faith for believers, and I continue to run into a brick wall. So evidently I am asking the wrong question.

I want to know from Christians how they can know for certain that they are not simply inventing a god in their imaginations. However, when I ask Christians this question, I get an answer that starts with "Because God..."

This still assumes a god. It's as if they cannot see that they are using their imaginations. If I said that I believe in Qhiapwe, Christians would tell me that Qhiapwe is not real. Then I'd say "Qhiapwe is the creator of everything, and Qhiapwe lives in my heart." Now I just made up that name, but you get my point.

How can I get this through to believers?

To believers: Can you consider the possibility that your beliefs are the result of you using a creative imagination?
God is a personification of ourselves, what we wish to be, and that which we do not understand.
RE: A Matter of Faith
The honest ones understand the implications of faith. The dishonest ones do not.
Mark Twain, "Faith is believing in things you know ain't so".
(October 7, 2013 at 4:06 pm)Freedom Wrote: I want to know from Christians how they can know for certain that they are not simply inventing a god in their imaginations.

How do you know for certain that they are simply inventing a god in their imaginations? As a rule of thumb if the god they believe looks literally like this.

[Image: Zeus_by_thegryph.jpg]

Then that's most likely going to be the human imagination at work, it just looks like us. God as in the eternal creator beyond space and time that can't be depicted by the human imagination and has a relationship with his creatures that is experiential in nature goes beyond this form of idol worship.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
(October 7, 2013 at 4:14 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote:
(October 7, 2013 at 4:06 pm)Freedom Wrote: I want to know from Christians how they can know for certain that they are not simply inventing a god in their imaginations.

How do you know for certain that they are simply inventing a god in their imaginations? As a rule of thumb if the god they believe looks literally like this.

Then that's most likely going to be the human imagination at work, it just looks like us.

Unlike Jesus the four armed space monster who.... hey, waitaminute.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 7, 2013 at 4:19 pm)apophenia Wrote:
(October 7, 2013 at 4:14 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: How do you know for certain that they are simply inventing a god in their imaginations? As a rule of thumb if the god they believe looks literally like this.

Then that's most likely going to be the human imagination at work, it just looks like us.

Unlike Jesus the four armed space monster who.... hey, waitaminute.

Glad you caught yourself there, it is 6 arms as we all know.
(October 7, 2013 at 4:06 pm)Freedom Wrote: I have a question about faith for believers, and I continue to run into a brick wall. So evidently I am asking the wrong question.
-Or you have simply closed off your mind to the right answer.

Quote:I want to know from Christians how they can know for certain that they are not simply inventing a god in their imaginations. However, when I ask Christians this question, I get an answer that starts with "Because God..."

See above. If God is real then wouldn't the best evidence of God, be God? So why wouldn't "Because God..." be a viable answer?

Quote:This still assumes a god.
Would wanting proof of the president of the united states, be assuming proof of the president of the US, if you wrote a letter addressed to him, asking for a response?
What if he invited you to do so?

Quote: It's as if they cannot see that they are using their imaginations. If I said that I believe in Qhiapwe, Christians would tell me that Qhiapwe is not real. Then I'd say "Qhiapwe is the creator of everything, and Qhiapwe lives in my heart." Now I just made up that name, but you get my point.
Then one would ask for proof, or a way to prove qhiapwe. does your god have the means to 'proove' himself?

Quote:To believers: Can you consider the possibility that your beliefs are the result of you using a creative imagination?
Indeed I can, and have. How did I resolve it? I took up God's challenge outlined in Luke 11, and He provided the 'proof' I was looking for.
The best evidence for god, is god?

Well I'm convinced. Jerkoff
(October 7, 2013 at 5:19 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: The best evidence for god, is god?

Well I'm convinced. Jerkoff

As In the best Evidence for Barack Obama is Barack Obama. Or are you so foolish to Argue this as well?
Quote:Would wanting proof of the president of the united states, be assuming proof of the president of the US, if you wrote a letter addressed to him, asking for a response?

There is no need to prove the president of the United States exists.

Quote: Then one would ask for proof, or a way to prove qhiapwe. does your god have the means to 'proove' himself?

Yes. Qhiapwe already has proven himself because he has changed my life.

Quote:Indeed I can, and have. How did I resolve it? I took up God's challenge outlined in Luke 11, and He provided the 'proof' I was looking for.

Please introduce me to God.
God is a personification of ourselves, what we wish to be, and that which we do not understand.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13048 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  A Believer's Thoughts on Faith rlp21858 168 11415 July 9, 2022 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 58415 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  Faith is Feelings zwanzig 44 4401 February 28, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 6126 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  why faith fails Drich 43 4362 January 23, 2020 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Haipule
  Do my parents fear that I'll leave the faith? Der/die AtheistIn 120 22975 January 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 37801 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Exclamation The blind trust can lead to faith theBorg 63 8567 August 17, 2016 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Charged for "faith healing" over medical care Foxaèr 18 5050 October 16, 2015 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet