Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you deal with superior religious family?
How do you deal with superior religious family?
I had a little conversation on facebook with my nephew about god. Bad idea. He has found god now that he's going threw a divorce. The conversation started with that nut job in Ft. Hood and my nephew conflicted because to be a good 'Christian' he needs to forgive. I'll give you an example of the conversation;

Me: Why the hell would you even want to forgive a mad man like that. Forgiveness in over rated.

Nephew: It's not a matter of wanting to forgive Tammy. It's a matter of putting the matter in Gods hands.

Me: It looks like god has already taken care of things. Many people kill in the name of god.

Nephew: The guy is insane and that is the reason he did what he did.What god he worships has nothing to do with what I am saying. Debate me all you want about politics but on this one keep you mouth shut because it is about MY personal feelings about a tragedy that I am conflicted about. NOT open for debate!

There were other post by him and other people, but I wont bore you so I'll cut tot he chase.
This is where I made my mistake.

Me: There is no god. The bible is a book written by ancient man. It's an interpretation of the world around him and of things he could not understand at the time. Now we understand a lot more because of science and knowledge. Science is true, the bible is not. The earth is more than 6000 years old.

Nephew: Tammy...I don't know what to say to you. You speak as if you discovered some new thinking yourself. You regurgitate old arguments that have been played out without ever injecting your own knowledge. Just as you seem to do with politics. If you want to have a conversation with me about our spiritual god I recommend that you pick up a bible and read it. Until then your opinions have no merit to me.

If you want another scientific view, I recommend you listen to Chuck Missler. He will show you how modern science and the bible are tied to much more than your narrow mind can comprehend in your present state.

Really though Tammy. Get a mind of your own before you spout your negativity upon me anymore, politically or religiously, or theologically. I love you very much but you spout out way more than you take in, in my opinion.

I about fell of my chair when I read that. WTF? Does he think he's better than me?
Here is my response. So far he hasn't responded back.

Me: I have no interest in reading the bible, I also have not interest in reading Richard Dawkins 'The God Delusion'. I checked out that Chuck Missler. The peanut butter video was a riot. I don't believe in a lot of things. Does that make me narrow minded? No, it just means I look at my surrounding and come up with my own conclusion as to what I believe, just like you. Believe in god all you want. I choose not to. Never have never will. And by the way, I'm not aloneSmile I don't think I'm any better than you because I don't believe in god, can you say the same thing? Judging by your comments to me I doubt it.

How the hell am I suppose to deal with him now? I feel insulted and I said nothing to make him talk down to me, I just stated my opinion. Maybe not the right way.
binnyCoffee
RE: How do you deal with superior religious family?
Your nephew is a disrespectful lil shit it seems. Or is he of your generation?

It looks to me like he took what you said the wrong way. He is feeling very hurt and your confrontation of his belief was taken as a personal affront. That's a fail on your part. I don't think it was about religion, just a failure of one person to elicit comfort from another. Religion got in the way in an anti religious way.

"Never have never will" is a faux pa.. you're saying your mind is closed.
My nephew is 37, I'm 46. Not the same generation, but close.
I suppose I could have wrote something a little more tactful, but he knows that I'm an atheist and have been since dirt and I say stuff like this around the family often. He never used to be this way. Ever since his wife kicked him out he's been this born again Christian. I think he's looking for answers and he's turning to the bible to find them. I think he may be going a little over board. There has been more to our conversation since my original post. At the end I told him that Thanksgiving is at my house and to bring his appetite but not his bible. His response "LOFL!!! Enough said!!!"
Whatever. I will not bring up god during Thanksgiving dinner.
binnyCoffee
Sounds then like you're just being 'you' and he's taking a vacation in idiotsville. Glad you've sorted things out Smile
LOL, him taking a vacation in idiotsville is nothing new I'm afraid. Maybe he's just being him tooSmile
binnyCoffee
Its nothing new to my family either, although my family is not nearly as devout as yours may be. Its just my grandma and a few students in highschool that consistantly get on my nerves.
--- RDW, 17
"Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
[Image: truthyellow.jpg]
I have an uncle who is deeply religious, we both know where we stand on the topic but we get along great. Being religious or non religious is not such a hot topic in our family but on the whole most of us just detest the door knocking evangelists on a Saturday morning. Even my uncle hasn't got a good word for them. And creationists. We also have those in the Netherlands, but fortunately most of the denominations in our country sees them as fringe lunatics and disassociate them selves as much as possible form them.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I have come to the conclusion that my nephew is insane. Unfortunately he has a bunch of bible thumping creationists behind him. I've decided that I'm going to ignore his facebook ramblings from now on and I will be cordial to him during family functions. His soon to be x is coming over here Thursday. I will keep my mouth shut then tooSmile
binnyCoffee
If the family hates you for being an Atheist or Agnostic or whatever the hell you are that's different from the rest of your family, then hell, you should leave.
You don't need a family that says, "YOU DON'T BELIEVE WHAT WE BELIEVE. GET THE HELL OUT!!" But if you don't want to leave, then I suggest ignoring anything they say. Debating with idiotheists is impossible (assuming that they're idiotheists, and idiotheists are people that:
• Ignore anything that goes against their beliefs
• Rant/Lecture anybody that is not their religion
• Are obsessed with the Bible and assume they know everything about it
• Ignore parts of the Bible that seem to give their religion a "bad reputation"
• Try to convert people whenever they can
• Assume they know everything about the opposing side and become overconfident about it
They're not idiots in general, but just idiots when it comes to their religion/science/rationality).
I suggest that you just keep rebelling. Don't listen to what they say; you know they're wrong. Try playing their little game, by which I mean saying, "I know the truth will come to you! You just have to believe and look for evidence!!"
Also, the best way to know an idiotheist is an idiotheist is by saying, "Do you have proof of God's existence?"
If they reply any of the following, they're idiotheists.
"YOU CAN'T PROVE THAT HE DOESN'T EXIST!!"
"(insert Bible quote here)"
"(rantrantrantrant)"
"(ignores and goes onto another topic)"
The idiotheists are spreading around the world. It's our job to stop them. ;-;

ANYWAYYYS~!!! I just suggest either:
A. Ignoring them
B. Playing their game
C. Continue debating
That's all. :3

EDIT: Also, divorcing is against the Bible. :S Sooo... HE'S GOING TO HELL!!11!1!!!1!!1!11
╔═╪══╬═╦╦═╬══╪═╗
║♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ McGodless! ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ║
Bah-bah-bah-bah-bahhh~!
║♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ I'm lovin' it! ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪║
╚═╪══╬═╩╩═╬══╪═╝

"And God said, drunk, 'Let there be Tails Turrosaki,' and there was Tails."
Frodo that is complete nonsense on Binny's starting conversation. However, I do agree with the lil shit part...lol

She did not say anything out of the ordinary in the beginning of their conversation to make the 'lil shit" go off the deep end in the way & manner he did. There is more behind his curtain than we both realize.

Binny, there is nothing you can do to the confused and misguided other than what you did. You told him your "Belief or lack their of" and he commanded his.

Arguing with someone like that will only make it worse. Just smile and tell him good luck. He'll come around one day.....
And when I say, "Come around", I don't mean that in an Atheistic sense, just a humane one.
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1714 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 5946 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2248 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Family not accepting you're an Atheist UniverseCaptain 45 5076 October 28, 2021 at 12:51 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Thanksgiving and Family BrokenQuill92 18 3090 December 7, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: mordant
  How religious or nonreligious is your family? Casca 44 4150 December 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: camlov2019
  I Walked Away From Christianity, but How do I Walk Away From My Family? Rhondazvous 14 2762 October 31, 2016 at 2:57 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  How I deal with no afterlife SuperMarioGamer 117 10866 October 25, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: TheMonster
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 6957 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Telling my family? CloverGrace 10 2026 August 28, 2016 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: KevinM1