Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Critique My Philosophy of Life?
Critique My Philosophy of Life?
Over the past few years, I have formulated my philosophy of life, a 13-page document that may be found at the following link:

In the first half of the document, I present and defend the following positions: atheism, afterlife skepticism, free will impossibilism, moral skepticism, existential skepticism and negative hedonism. The second half of the document is devoted to ways to achieve and maintain peace of mind.

I have found the entire exercise to be very beneficial personally, and I hope that you will benefit from reading the document.

I am posting my philosophy to solicit feedback so that it may be improved. I welcome any constructive criticism that you may have.

Enjoy!
RE: Critique My Philosophy of Life?
There's a rule around here that states that you can't post such links to personal content before reaching the 30 post count, or the 30 day membership.
It's a way to make you people who are eager to share their life's work to make themselves known.
If you're a new guy, what reason do I have to go check out your 13 page essay?

How about you copy into a thread a few bits on a particular topic and we'll go from there?
Hmmm....my philosophy is "if it feels good, do it. And, if some religious shithead says not to do it, do it more."
(November 23, 2013 at 8:05 pm)pocaracas Wrote: There's a rule around here that states that you can't post such links to personal content before reaching the 30 post count, or the 30 day membership.
It's a way to make you people who are eager to share their life's work to make themselves known.

How about you copy into a thread a few bits on a particular topic and we'll go from there?

To be fair, the intent of that rule I thought was to prevent people from spamming their website to get more views and ultimately to get more money (whether it be through selling products or through advertisements). This is a straight link to a document shared on Google Drive.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
I'll give it a look and light critique later tonight.
(November 23, 2013 at 10:41 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: I'll give it a look and light critique later tonight.

Thank you, MindForgedManacle. I look forward to your comments.
I had to link this. Especially since it's so true... (well, the second one isn't true in this case, but I don't think one would have to look far to see recent incidents of that)
http://atheistforums.org/thread-11705-po...#pid385768
(November 23, 2013 at 9:38 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: To be fair, the intent of that rule I thought was to prevent people from spamming their website to get more views and ultimately to get more money (whether it be through selling products or through advertisements). This is a straight link to a document shared on Google Drive.
You do have a good point, though.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(November 23, 2013 at 9:38 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote:
(November 23, 2013 at 8:05 pm)pocaracas Wrote: There's a rule around here that states that you can't post such links to personal content before reaching the 30 post count, or the 30 day membership.

To be fair, the intent of that rule I thought was to prevent people from spamming their website to get more views and ultimately to get more money (whether it be through selling products or through advertisements). This is a straight link to a document shared on Google Drive.

True, true...
But I'd wager many of those who link to their blogs aren't that much concerned with traffic or ads...
They've had their blogs up, shared their minds with whoever came to visit, and, suddenly, remembered they could share those thoughts with more people on forums! But are just too lazy to copy/paste them into a forum, so they link to the previously written blog. -.-'

It seems Esq (and, by proxy, the mods) agrees with me.
(November 23, 2013 at 7:33 pm)Philosofer123 Wrote: In the first half of the document, I present and defend the following positions: atheism, afterlife skepticism......................

??????????????????? i just can't believe!
How is possible to put philosophy and atheism on the same plate when they are the two opposite?
Have you got an idea where philosophy ultimately lead to? Thinking
(November 24, 2013 at 10:31 am)enrico Wrote: Have you got an idea where philosophy ultimately lead to? Thinking
Mental masturbation?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 5564 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1433 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3608 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1610 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 13018 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2642 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 4935 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8271 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12045 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Revolution in Philosophy? Jehanne 11 2269 April 4, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Jehanne