Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sponsoring a child
Sponsoring a child
For some time now I've felt the obligation to sponsor a child or two. The one thing that has held me back is that most of the organizations I've heard about are religious and use their resources not only to feed and clothe poor children but to instill within them the lies and false hope of religion. I would like "my children" to enjoy life without the unnecessary manufactured fears of divine guilt or eternal torment. Can anyone refer me to some reputable secular organizations that do this type of work?
RE: Sponsoring a child
(March 24, 2014 at 7:12 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: For some time now I've felt the obligation to sponsor a child or two. The one thing that has held me back is that most of the organizations I've heard about are religious and use their resources not only to feed and clothe poor children but to instill within them the lies and false hope of religion. I would like "my children" to enjoy life without the unnecessary manufactured fears of divine guilt or eternal torment. Can anyone refer me to some reputable secular organizations that do this type of work?

I sponsor a child at childfund.org although she is Christian I don’t think childfund preaches anymore.

“Despite our former name of CCF (Christian Children’s Fund), ChildFund does not preach Christianity or use funds for Christian mission work. The original name owed much to its founder - a Presbyterian minister. However a decision was made very early in our history not to prostelyse so as to ensure that ChildFund would always be welcome in any community where children were in need. We help children of all faiths to break free from poverty.”
Okay, neat. I'll look into it.

You know, if others are like me in wishing that religion would mostly just go away, I don't think it's enough to point out the harm that it brings--we must also supplant whatever good people believe comes from it.
I sponsor a child in Myanmar through WorldVision, and I am not comfortable with the Christian aspect of the charity. However, I consider that a minor quibble considering a kid is getting an education he otherwise would not have had at all. That's what's important.
(March 24, 2014 at 10:10 am)Escherscurtain Wrote:
(March 24, 2014 at 7:12 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: For some time now I've felt the obligation to sponsor a child or two. The one thing that has held me back is that most of the organizations I've heard about are religious and use their resources not only to feed and clothe poor children but to instill within them the lies and false hope of religion. I would like "my children" to enjoy life without the unnecessary manufactured fears of divine guilt or eternal torment. Can anyone refer me to some reputable secular organizations that do this type of work?

I sponsor a child at childfund.org although she is Christian I don’t think childfund preaches anymore.

“Despite our former name of CCF (Christian Children’s Fund), ChildFund does not preach Christianity or use funds for Christian mission work. The original name owed much to its founder - a Presbyterian minister. However a decision was made very early in our history not to prostelyse so as to ensure that ChildFund would always be welcome in any community where children were in need. We help children of all faiths to break free from poverty.”

Now that's the sign of a good person. Putting helping the poor over personal beliefs.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

My recommendation is an organisation called Plan, they are non-religious.

http://plan-international.org
undefined
Recently upped my direct debit to a end of life children's hospice here in the UK called Acorns.

I think a charity like 'Save the children' are a secular charity that also do a lot of good work internationally.

I almost never donate to a religious charity with the exception of a group like the Red Cross. But they're effectively non-religious anyway.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Atheists and Agnostics that have child Eclectic 11 1196 August 28, 2022 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5276 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11377 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  If your child cries it means Satan is in him Ruckus123 8 1920 May 5, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  What to teach my child? Stealth 12 2968 December 24, 2014 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Child Indoctrination God Is Not Gr8 5 1584 February 22, 2014 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  How to prevent your child from becoming an atheist. Creed of Heresy 13 5119 September 21, 2013 at 8:34 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Child raising and touchy subjects. justin 15 3810 June 29, 2013 at 7:21 am
Last Post: festive1
  Parents freak out when their child announces he's an atheist Ziploc Surprise 34 14967 May 27, 2012 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How to Keep Your Child From Becoming an Atheist thesummerqueen 21 8719 November 29, 2011 at 10:34 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger