Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 2:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to teach my child?
What to teach my child?
I am pretty much going against my belief of asking for opinions for my parenting.

I have a one year old, and I was thinking as an atheist, what would be the best way to enlighten a virgin minded child in regards to religion/atheism?

-Educate them on what what my thoughts are?

-dictate what they should follow or believe in?

-Let them choose what path they want?

I have a few years to prepare, I would like just a general and collected thought on the matter.
RE: What to teach my child?
Teach them how to apply logic to facts and situations and let them find their own path.

Forcing your own views on people were it comes to these things can lead to resentment later on.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(December 24, 2014 at 5:54 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Teach them how to apply logic to facts and situations and let them find their own path.

Forcing your own views on people were it comes to these things can lead to resentment later on.

That's what I'm feeling. I should point out that I am not anti-theist. I don't care what people think on the matter of religion, I don't care if a god exists or not. So this passive atheism of mine, I hope, doesn't influence to my child.
Teach how to think not what to think Smile

I would say that let your child come to you with questions, then help them work through it logically.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I have a hypothesis (wild guess) about our generation of atheists, and perhaps the following few.

This era of atheists will be bookmarked by the emergence of a generation of atheists that never had to deconvert. They will never have had to struggle against indoctrination, or break free from mental chains, padlocked by well-meaning family and reinforced with church. They won't ever think to take pride in their atheism. They won't feel the need to seek out and bond with a minority of strangers on the Internet who share a common view of the "supernatural" and, more importantly, the natural. The next era of atheists will call themselves musicians, scientists, machine repairmen, grandparents, or whatever else they desire to be. But theism won't even register.

I also predict an "old atheist revival movement" started by some hip college students of history who'll look back at our years and see what we were up against, and they'll see we fought. They'll be jealous of their rock star, rebel grandparents. Big Grin

Anyhow, I say we start to raise that generation now. Childhoods built of facts, reason, and honest observation.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(December 24, 2014 at 5:50 am)Stealth Wrote: I am pretty much going against my belief of asking for opinions for my parenting.

I have a one year old, and I was thinking as an atheist, what would be the best way to enlighten a virgin minded child in regards to religion/atheism?

I have a few years to prepare, I would like just a general and collected thought on the matter.

Being a parent means getting to do whatever you want. If you want a free thinker, teach the kid to think freely. If you want the kid to adhere to certain philosophies or idea, teach them often and strongly.

The most likely scenario, however, is that they will mimic you. So if you want them to be like you, just follow your own natural inclinations at all times, and let nature take its course.
(December 24, 2014 at 5:50 am)Stealth Wrote: -Educate them on what what my thoughts are?

If you are a "deconvert" from a particular religion, I cannot imagine why you would want to dictate anything to them regarding such beliefs. Teach them to question things and teach them to seek out answers. I believe that it's an approach that will serve them well in a lot of areas of their lives.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Children are naturally inquisitive. Over explain how the world works. Also, people typically fend off questions like swatting flies. Teach them what questions to ask. I always found the best way to do this is asking exploratory questions in return.
(December 24, 2014 at 5:50 am)Stealth Wrote: I am pretty much going against my belief of asking for opinions for my parenting.

If any weirdos says to you. That you need god quickly yell i need a adult if they too say you need jesus yell i need a real adult. all joking aside. If your child wants to be religious its alright. But really enforce critical thinking and logic and teach your kid reasoning.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(December 24, 2014 at 5:50 am)Stealth Wrote: I have a one year old, and I was thinking as an atheist, what would be the best way to enlighten a virgin minded child in regards to religion/atheism?

Teach them critical thinking skills and let them follow their own path.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Atheists and Agnostics that have child Eclectic 11 1179 August 28, 2022 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5225 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11308 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  If your child cries it means Satan is in him Ruckus123 8 1911 May 5, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Sponsoring a child Mudhammam 6 2559 March 31, 2014 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Child Indoctrination God Is Not Gr8 5 1579 February 22, 2014 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  How to prevent your child from becoming an atheist. Creed of Heresy 13 5109 September 21, 2013 at 8:34 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Child raising and touchy subjects. justin 15 3781 June 29, 2013 at 7:21 am
Last Post: festive1
  Parents freak out when their child announces he's an atheist Ziploc Surprise 34 14908 May 27, 2012 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How to Keep Your Child From Becoming an Atheist thesummerqueen 21 8657 November 29, 2011 at 10:34 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger