Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best arguments for and against god you know of?
Best arguments for and against god you know of?
Which are they?
RE: Best arguments for and against god you know of?
Best Argument For God: He is not amenable to logical inquiry, so he probably exists.

Best Argument Against God: He is not amenable to logical inquiry, so he probably doesn't exist.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
To me best one against is absence of any signs of god.

I don't really have best argument they all suck but the argument from personal experience seems to be pretty powerful but only from the point of view of person having an experience. I guess brains can misbehave.
For: "I sez they duz so they duz"

Against: Theistic gods, as defined, cannot possibly exist. Deistic gods, as defined, might as well not exist.
Sum ergo sum
(March 24, 2014 at 8:24 am)Ben Davis Wrote: For: "I sez they duz so they duz"

Against: Theistic gods, as defined, cannot possibly exist. Deistic gods, as defined, might as well not exist.

Are you saying that deistic god is useless but can be?
You'll find that most arguments for the existence of Gods could apply to unicorns or magic pixies.
(March 24, 2014 at 8:26 am)tor Wrote:
(March 24, 2014 at 8:24 am)Ben Davis Wrote: For: "I sez they duz so they duz"

Are you saying that deistic god is useless but can be?
That's the trick with Deism: there's no difference between the attributes of deistic gods and gods which don't exist. So even if they do exist, they're pointless.
Sum ergo sum
Best argument against would just be that we haven't seen any evidence of gods, spirits, souls, or any plane of existence aside from the physical one. It's like Bill Nye said, all we really need is evidence. Concrete, indisputable, evidence.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(March 24, 2014 at 9:12 am)Chad32 Wrote: Best argument against would just be that we haven't seen any evidence of gods, spirits, souls, or any plane of existence aside from the physical one. It's like Bill Nye said, all we really need is evidence. Concrete, indisputable, evidence.

Evidence like what?
(March 24, 2014 at 9:12 am)tor Wrote:
(March 24, 2014 at 9:12 am)Chad32 Wrote: Best argument against would just be that we haven't seen any evidence of gods, spirits, souls, or any plane of existence aside from the physical one. It's like Bill Nye said, all we really need is evidence. Concrete, indisputable, evidence.

Evidence like what?

Something that breaks physics or can't be explained by natural processes. Funnily enough, one example might be how creationists accuse evolution of working. If a duck hatched from a crocodile egg, that could prove there was something supernatural going on. Or if we had a guy that did the kinds of things Jesus was claimed to do. Raise someone who has been dead for a week. Walk on water. Grow an amputee's leg back.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence ShinyCrystals 9 695 September 4, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A simple argument against God Disagreeable 149 12735 December 29, 2022 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 15701 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?" Macoleco 25 1877 May 1, 2021 at 8:05 pm
  How many of you know that there is atheism in Sanatana Dharma ? hindu 19 2292 June 7, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  A possibly new perspective on this thing that we know as God. unityconversation 157 14289 March 18, 2020 at 1:08 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  Arguments against Soul FlatAssembler 327 23636 February 20, 2020 at 11:28 am
  Arguments Against Creator God GrandizerII 77 19028 November 16, 2019 at 9:38 am
Information The Best Logique Evidence of God Existence Nogba 225 24210 August 2, 2019 at 11:44 am
Last Post: comet
  Who do you think is best atheist of our times? GGG 70 7337 January 22, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: GGG