Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well that's fitting .. total-dick xtians helping to eradicate religious belief.
Well that's fitting .. total-dick xtians helping to eradicate religious belief.
http://www.alternet.org/belief/religion-...stening-it

Quote:Political scientists Robert Putman and David Campbell, the authors of American Grace, argue that the Christian Right’s politicization of faith in the 1990s turned younger, socially liberal Christians away from churches, even as conservatives became more zealous. “While the Republican base has become ever more committed to mixing religion and politics, the rest of the country has been moving in the opposite direction.”
RE: Well that's fitting .. total-dick xtians helping to eradicate religious belief.
Extremists will always push people away, due to their extremism. Depending on which group is larger, between extremists and moderates, either the moderates will leave, or the extremists will start a splinter group. That's why we have tens of thousands of denominations of christianity. The republican party is getting so entrenched that eventually it will fade out.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

RE: Well that's fitting .. total-dick xtians helping to eradicate religious belief.
Hmmm...nowhere in that article did they point to anything that says that the rise of the religious right was an actual factor in the decline of religion. They've just noted that the two happened in close proximity to each other.

I understand their sentiment and agree that it was likely an influence, but this is all just speculation.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(March 26, 2014 at 9:58 am)Faith No More Wrote: Hmmm...nowhere in that article did they point to anything that says that the rise of the religious right was an actual factor in the decline of religion.

Unless you count its title:

Quote:Christian Right Has Major Role in Hastening Decline of Religion in America
(March 26, 2014 at 10:22 am)whateverist Wrote:
(March 26, 2014 at 9:58 am)Faith No More Wrote: Hmmm...nowhere in that article did they point to anything that says that the rise of the religious right was an actual factor in the decline of religion.

Unless you count its title:

Quote:Christian Right Has Major Role in Hastening Decline of Religion in America

And that's my point. They're simply asserting it to be true without anything to back it up.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Yep, that's true.
(March 26, 2014 at 9:58 am)Faith No More Wrote: Hmmm...nowhere in that article did they point to anything that says that the rise of the religious right was an actual factor in the decline of religion. They've just noted that the two happened in close proximity to each other.

I understand their sentiment and agree that it was likely an influence, but this is all just speculation.

Actually....Putnam and Campbell have written an entire book on the subject. They are commenting on Pew Foundation Research but for the back up to their studies I imagine you'd have to read their book.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Grace-Rel...416566732#

It's expensive!
I've often said that our efforts to promote skepticism pale beside the results fundamentalist evangelicals get.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Yeah, I'm thinking that they're having a relatively small effect on the overall growth of non-belief. The shit they peddle as "truth" should get most of the credit. If someone offers me a shit sandwich, I don't turn it down because I thought he was being too pushy.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1322 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Helping Satan LinuxGal 10 1590 April 1, 2023 at 5:51 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why not dismiss the trinitarian belief outright R00tKiT 80 7204 August 13, 2021 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Belief Catharsis 57 4277 March 24, 2019 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Xtians Will Hate This. Minimalist 34 3116 December 3, 2018 at 12:39 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Tell Me Again How Your Bullshit Is Spreading in Africa, Xtians! Minimalist 9 1368 July 21, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Xtians tried to pray Irma away drfuzzy 11 2422 September 12, 2017 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  No Surprise, Here. Xtians Are Full of Shit. Minimalist 5 1196 August 4, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  Well, shit... Now who are supposed to worship? Cyberman 20 4530 July 5, 2017 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Tell Me Again How Great Fucking Xtians Are Minimalist 44 13360 June 26, 2017 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Astonished