Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why it's hard to like stories written in first person
Why it's hard to like stories written in first person
....it's rather wearing on me because the "I" perspective that's used tries to force me into the character's body; make me "i" the reader become "i" character, when "I" reader and "I" character may have clashing personalities or world views. Does anyone else have this problem with first person narratives?
RE: Why it's hard to like stories written in first person
I like YA/teen books in general.

Whenever a YA/teen book is in first person I'm like: "Fuck THAT! The author of this book is trying way too hard to be 'cool'."
Not really. Are you sure you haven't picked up a copy of "Bright Lights, Big City," by mistake? Because Second person stories give me this problem. For me, first person is like listening to someone else you know talking about their experiences.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(March 26, 2014 at 11:38 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Not really. Are you sure you haven't picked up a copy of "Bright Lights, Big City," by mistake? Because Second person stories give me this problem. For me, first person is like listening to someone else you know talking about their experiences.

I've always had a preference for omniscient third person. That way I feel more like an invisible person walking alongside the characters.
Though I generally prefer third person omniscient narration as a writer for all the flexibility it affords me, I have to admit that my forays into first person have been rather nice too. I don't know why, but occasionally the shift in perspective inspires me to cut out a lot of the poetry and descriptive stuff I usually put in and write in-character more immersively.

That said, first person is only a vacation style; I'll always come home to third. Wink
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
I started writing in first person. It limited my storytelling abilities, making it impossible to show readers events I considered important. I later realized there were things I could have done to lessen the restrictions it imposed, but when I changed to third person omniscient narration (like every book I remember reading did), the freedom it granted me was breathtaking. I could jump from one area to the next, showing readers everything I wanted, important or unimportant. However, there's one story I thought about writing in first person, and even started writing it as such, if I'm not mistaken, but I came across some events that were simply incompatible with that kind of narration, so I decided against it.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?

[Image: LB_Header_Idea_A.jpg]
I have no problems reading either first or third person perspectives in novels. My only concern in novels is when the writer uses the second person "you" amidst the first or third person view, because that is a grammatical no-no.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moving On UP....... To hard rock. Brian37 20 1383 October 6, 2020 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Post your Favorite Short Stories vulcanlogician 42 7385 June 3, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  You fell so hard, didn't you? It hurts; doesn't it? WinterHold 0 316 March 18, 2018 at 12:33 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  "Logan" is the first Marvel movie I'm interested in seeing since the first Avengers Aegon 30 4534 March 19, 2017 at 2:18 am
Last Post: Jesster
  Monsters On Sunday an atheist hard rock band. Brian37 0 496 December 6, 2016 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Metal and Hard Rock discussion thread Alex K 116 15009 July 6, 2015 at 11:34 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Two-Sentence Horror Stories: Post your favorite emilynghiem 28 5389 February 20, 2015 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Strider
  12 New Harry Potter Stories for December 2014 ManMachine 0 624 December 18, 2014 at 9:19 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  'Rate the above person's music' Gilgamesh 499 81613 June 2, 2014 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: Sejanus
  Drawing is like... hard. Violet 18 3163 May 14, 2014 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Violet