Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Finished My First Album
I Finished My First Album
I finished my first (fully instrumental) electronic music album today. And hopefully it's of a much higher quality than any other music I've ever created [emoji54] [emoji57]

And here it is:

RE: I Finished My First Album
I also finished my first album. Then I went out and bought a second one.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Congratulations! I listened for a moment but I am old and can not grok electronica. More of a Clash and Waylon Jennings mindset. Hoping for your success though!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Haha cheers.
Needs more cowbell.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Congrats, bud. Can't listen now, will do so later. Ain't it a great feeling?

Yes I am so happy with how my album turned out Smile Not to most people's tastes but it's to my tastes Smile
Congratulations!

Word of advice - your levels are too high. It seems to me like you're over-driving your main mix bus. After you layer a few parts, you run out of head-room, which leads to clipping and a very harsh, squashed sound. When you work with digital audio you must always take care not to go over 0dB, because digital distortion is not very pleasant.

What I'd do is go back and turn down all your instruments - with the emphasis on the drums - by 3-6dB, until the main mix stays consistently below -0.5dB, even in the busiest, loudest parts of the track. If you want your tracks to still sound loud - use a compressor (preferably multi-band), EQ and maybe some other processors, like tape simulator, at the mastering stage.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
When I overdrive the distortion like that.... I do it on purpose Tongue

I have used an EQ throughout.

ETA: I'm a big fan of Aphex... and he's a fan of some really harsh sounds... and in some of his songs he uses sounds and distortion that are a LOT harsher on the ear than anything I've ever made.

My distortion and overdrive and scratchy sounds when I overlayer stuff and make it crowded... would be a mistake... if I wasn't doing it on purpose Tongue

I particularly like distorted kickdrums, basses or screechy screamy loud high-pitched distorted synths Tongue

And I'm a big fan of resonance. And not just this kind of resonance:

(YouTuber Resonance22)

ETA: Listening over my album... I'd say there are a couple of sounds here and there that are a little loud. Which I can fix when I can be arsed. But I'd say that it's not the distortion that bothers me... just the volume in places i.e. the bells are a little loud compared to everything else on SENT UPWARDS.

ETA 2: Oh I see what you mean in places where it gets really loud. I didn't realize because I don't normally listen to it back in maximum volume. I'll definitely go back and turn down some of the EQ.
@Homeless Nutter... thank you so very much for this simple but effective and essential piece of advice. I'm very new to the whole mastering thing and despite making music for almost 14 years this is the first time I've ever used an EQ... and I've been listening to my music at a quieter volume but as soon as I turn up the volume to a normal or loud volume the distortion you mentioned becomes extremely noticable.

And the essential thing is oh my god... the default master volume for my music program is 75% and so it seems that is what the program is designed for. I had it turned up to 100%. I turned it back down to 75% and instead of having 6 sets of EQs with 2-4 EQs per instrument... I've now got 6 sets of EQs with just 1 EQ per instrument... tuned for each one. That plus the 75% master volume instead of 100% and it just sounds so much cleaner. Already remastered the first two tracks that way and it sounds so so much nicer.

Thanks for the advice. It took me a while to notice what you meant at first. I thought you meant my distorted effects like distorted kicksdrums and bass lines and stuff which I love... I thought you meant that was leading to overly high decibels. I don't mind that but I realize you were talking about my mix as a whole not any specific instruments. Although the occasional instrument was overly loud. That was due to some instruments having more EQs than others... like the bells in SENT UPWARDS had the maximum 4 tuned EQs... and they must have all been turned up high (you can use EQs on my program to actually make things quieter too, I dunno if that's the standard, but the middle part of the EQ is the default volume... anything lower than that makes that specific pitch level quieter than normal, anything above makes it louder. Which is nice that I have the option to go quieter with the EQ because I swear I've seen some EQs before where turning the EQ right down is default volume and the only way to alter it is to turn up the pitches and there is no option to turn them down. It's another reason I avoided using EQs for so many years because not all of them seemed as helpful as the ones I'm using now).

Sounds so much better. Thanks so much Homeless Nutter... as always I'll keep the originals stored on my PC and Dropbox but once I've remastered all these they're going to replace the others on my Soundcloud. And you can haz seeing the difference Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finished writing my novel Foxaèr 7 595 February 13, 2018 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  I Finished My New Album Edwardo Piet 20 2256 January 21, 2018 at 7:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What Is Your Favorite Music Album Of All Time? Edwardo Piet 30 3608 December 5, 2017 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Favorite Pink Floyd Album & Song vulcanlogician 28 6852 December 2, 2017 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Steven Wilson's new album is expected to be number 1 in the UK Edwardo Piet 0 565 August 26, 2017 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  "Logan" is the first Marvel movie I'm interested in seeing since the first Avengers Aegon 30 4637 March 19, 2017 at 2:18 am
Last Post: Jesster
  FNM to release new album after 18 years!! Michelle_Patton 1 727 September 2, 2014 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Album art designer Storm Thorgerson dies popeyespappy 0 929 April 19, 2013 at 11:35 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Joe Bonamassa's new album frankiej 5 4242 May 30, 2012 at 11:39 am
Last Post: frankiej
  Your first album Kayenneh 27 7593 August 3, 2011 at 8:38 am
Last Post: popeyespappy