Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Family stuff :(
Family stuff :(
As you all may know, muslims are supposed to pray the 5 prayers everyday and its a sin if you won't do or even delay any of them.

So, when I came out as an atheist, I kept them 5 prayers so that no one suspects anything, but about few weeks ago, I just got sick of it and stopped pretending .

Now my mother realized that i'm not doing the prayers, and she's upset and says that i'm going to hell just like my grandfather(He didn't pray at all) and he will never see heaven and other crap like that . I hated what my mother said about my grandfather, cuz I liked him alot, I used to watch WWE with him all the time( He liked WWE alot Smile )

She is not only upset, but she says she is not ever gonna talk to me if I didn't start praying and tell her whenever i'm going to pray, to be sure that i'm not lying . I was like: WTF is this shit ???? Angry
She's always serious about the not gonna talk to you thing Sad

I don't want to cut my relation with my mother, so what should I do ? Should I just tell her that i'm an atheist ? That shit scares me alot, I have zero idea what would be the outcome .
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
RE: Family stuff :(
Are you financially independent?
(April 12, 2014 at 6:27 pm)FlyingNarwhal Wrote: Are you financially independent?

nope, i'm so far from that.
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
(April 12, 2014 at 6:30 pm)Marsellus Wallace Wrote:
(April 12, 2014 at 6:27 pm)FlyingNarwhal Wrote: Are you financially independent?

To paraphrase the Greek proverb, 'First secure an independent income, THEN tell your Mum you're an atheist.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
As an outsider looking in, I can't fathom a parent whose love is based solely on their children doing and believing exactly as they do and believe.

It's just so contrary to to the whole bullshit that most religions try and promote, ie that whole love your neighbor bollocks.

Love your neighbor, for sure, so long as they don't infringe on the almost infinite number of caveats. Let alone you're own fucking son.

Apologies, I have no advice to give. I just find people so fucking pathetic sometimes. I guess religious belief is one hell of a drug if it means you're willing to castigate your own spawn for being independent.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
It sounds as if you are pretty well screwed until you are in a position to tell her and her fucking god where to go.
Parents just want what they think is best for their kids... even if it's a delusion or simply misguided.
If you don't plan on faking it until you're independent:
-Tell her, if she's right, you'll get to see your grandpa and be with him...it's important to be with family, even after death. Grandpa shouldn't be left alone for eternity.
-if she's wrong, then nothing happens... and she'll be the one responsible for the splitting of the family.It's important to be with family, specially while alive.
(April 12, 2014 at 6:30 pm)Marsellus Wallace Wrote:

When you can't afford to lose your job even though you hate the work, you still do it. If you need your mother's support, then pretend to pray. I mean, after all, it's certainly not going to hurt you.
There is an ALLLL-knowing, ALLLL-powerful, inVISible being who is everywhere, who created the WHOLE universe, who lives in another dimension called heaven, who is perfect in every way, who was never born and will never die, and who watches you every minute of every day (even when you're squeezing one out on the toilet). There are also unicorns, leprechauns, Santa Claus, an Easter Bunny, and a giant purple people eater.

JUST BELIEVE IT!
If you're not financially independent you may have to take the hard road and work things out for yourself or keep your convictions to yourself and go through the motions to keep your "mother" (I use the word as loosely as possible) placated.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
I dunno, say something Islamic, like, about halaal food or something. Maybe she'll be happy with that...

I've never been a Muslim! LOL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1813 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2321 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Family not accepting you're an Atheist UniverseCaptain 45 5337 October 28, 2021 at 12:51 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Thanksgiving and Family BrokenQuill92 18 3139 December 7, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Heavy stuff purplepurpose 10 2695 November 12, 2017 at 12:49 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  How religious or nonreligious is your family? Casca 44 4310 December 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: camlov2019
  This is strange. Explaining stuff to myself. purplepurpose 26 7221 December 16, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  I Walked Away From Christianity, but How do I Walk Away From My Family? Rhondazvous 14 2807 October 31, 2016 at 2:57 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7016 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Telling my family? CloverGrace 10 2037 August 28, 2016 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: KevinM1