Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seattle City Council Approves $15/hour Minimum Wage

Quote:SEATTLE - Seattle City Council unanimously approved the adoption of a $15 per hour minimum wage today, making Seattle the first major city in America to take such an action to address income inequality. Beginning April 1, 2015, the legislation will phase-in a $15 per hour minimum wage annually over 3 to 7 years, depending on employer size.

"Today we answer President Obama's call and the moral call to address the plight of low wage workers," said Councilmember Sally J. Clark, chair of the City Council's Select Committee on the Minimum Wage and Income Inequality. "Seattle's new law puts low wage workers on a path to $15 and does it in a way that respects Seattle's love for local businesses and world-leading innovation."

[...]

Washington State's minimum wage is currently $9.32 per hour (including for tipped service workers).
RE: Seattle City Council Approves $15/hour Minimum Wage
So, there is a mindset out that there will realize, hmmmm, drop out of high school and make more $$$$. Mebbee the council should have put a little more stick and a little less carrot in the measure ??
I do not think $15 a hour is going to make kids drop out of high school.

Seattle can be an expensive area of living. Cost of living has gone up due many factors.

USA is the most over worked country with the least amount of pay.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
(June 3, 2014 at 2:50 pm)Dragonetti Wrote: Seattle can be an expensive area of living.

Quite an understatement. Big Grin
(June 3, 2014 at 2:43 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: So, there is a mindset out that there will realize, hmmmm, drop out of high school and make more $$$$.
I guess anything is more than what they're making while they are still in school, but dropping out in order to earn $9.32/hour in the hopes of hitting that magical $15/hour rate sometime between 2018 and 2022 doesn't strike me as a good plan.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I saw an article yesterday saying that we should do a detailed study of employment in Seattle and the surrounding area so we can see what actually happens instead of debating minimum wage effects forever. Good idea, so it probably won't happen.
(June 4, 2014 at 8:36 am)alpha male Wrote: I saw an article yesterday saying that we should do a detailed study of employment in Seattle and the surrounding area so we can see what actually happens instead of debating minimum wage effects forever. Good idea, so it probably won't happen.

Wow, a christian post that both I agree with and suggesting the use of evidence to base a belief on. Good on you, but I don't think it will catch on.
(June 3, 2014 at 2:43 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: So, there is a mindset out that there will realize, hmmmm, drop out of high school and make more $$$$. Mebbee the council should have put a little more stick and a little less carrot in the measure ??

I watched several of my friends go all the way through good colleges only to not enter into their chosen field (and many of them had business or science degrees) because the economy was tanked. Some of them went back to school for masters or phD's and STILL couldn't get jobs because now they were worth more than employers were willing to pay. I watched people who already had amazing jobs lose them and become waiters because industries had to downsize massively after investor fuck ups. People who did get jobs had to accept less than what they expected or take pay cuts if they were already employed.

Going to school is not going to guarantee you a job or a high salary. My generation was promised that it would, as long as we showed up and put forth an effort. This simply isn't true anymore, and many people are not only working jobs for less than what they expected, but they're saddled with exorbitant student debt.

Further, salaries for everyone across the board have not risen with the cost of living changes in the country as a whole. I'm trying to find the chart I've seen floated around in a couple different places that talked about this, but so far the only link I can find as I try to hide my non-work activities here is: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/...ht-charts/

Lots of my coworkers are against raising the minimum wage because they feel those minimum wage jobs belong to students who don't need as much money anyway. Before the recession, this might have been largely true, but it wasn't the average white-collar worker's fault when the economy tanked because of conniving and irresponsible investors. Now those people working minimum wage jobs because their positions were filtered out to save the bottom line or protect stock holders are stuck in ruts. They can't even afford to go to school to learn new skills and 'pull themselves up by their bootstraps' because they can't afford to feed their families, much less pay college tuition costs or buy the materials they need. My community college's cheaper classes tended to be around the same price as rent or a car payment. You can't save up that much when you're trying to feed a family as well as make those payments, especially not on minimum wage, even with a second breadwinner.

People don't drop out of high school to make more money because the government is somehow rewarding them. They drop out because they're disillusioned with what schooling has to offer and what reward they'll get later in life. I make a decent enough salary now to live in a fairly expensive area with my boyfriend's help (he pays most of the bills). I have only some college behind me, and that nearly 10 years after graduating high school. They drop out because their family is desperate and they need a third or fourth breadwinner.

For the record, there are people who work skilled trades who earn a lot of money without having to have gone to a four-year college as we think of it, or even finish high school. But no one is encouraged to do these jobs because they're frequently dirty or seen as undesirable. Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs advocates for these people, and does a better job than I could, so you should look that up. I will say, though, that my hair dresser when I first moved to NC worked only part time because her boyfriend worked with air conditioning units. He made a good deal of money. I don't know about the rest of you, but my parents wouldn't have wanted me to work in a trade - originally their vision was for me to do something 'important'. I guess that's everyone's vision for their kids. It skews how we show them what careers are actually available (my school SUCKED at this).

Something people also don't keep in mind is that we're essentially paying people shitty, shitty, shitty amounts of money because they're somehow SUPPOSED to work. That's our mindset. And yet, many of the shit jobs people hold could be done easily by machines. We just insist on having a human touch, despite outrage at fast-food workers doing terrible things to your food because they're, well, human. If you want to have a different perspective on how the world is moving and what we might want to keep in mind as things grow increasingly mechanized, I suggest listening to the Cracked.com podcast on Millennials. Before you shut down because of the source, give it a try - it's incredibly interesting and a good supplement to the rage-blog-type articles from "legitimate' news sources that complain about the current generation's perceived laziness.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
[Image: seattle.jpg]
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Cost of living is a bitch.

Tampa is not the cheapest place to live, but cheaper than Hawaii.

I was stationed in Hawaii from 2004 to 2008, and I do not miss any of the store prices for food and rent.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Subway crash in Mexico City. Brian37 11 917 May 4, 2021 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  UK approves Pfizer's vaccine Foxaèr 0 206 December 2, 2020 at 8:37 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Seattle Chief of Police resigns Due Budget Cuts onlinebiker 68 3328 August 13, 2020 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  is Seattle the new fort Sumter? Drich 204 11177 June 24, 2020 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Tornado Strikes Ottawa Many Homes Destroyed Massive Blackout Across The City Amarok 19 2117 September 24, 2018 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Baltimore poised to become first major city to ban privatization of water Aegon 9 687 August 8, 2018 at 9:51 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Which fucking moron chooses to wage war on all other major powers at once? Anomalocaris 16 1615 June 1, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  City College Holds "Active Shooter Drill" Rhondazvous 9 1430 April 3, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Walmart raises minimum age requirement for buying Guns and Ammo Sterben 15 1726 March 2, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Florida House Panel votes to arm teachers; Give 1 time $500 bonus for 132 hour course Divinity 30 2274 March 2, 2018 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama