Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
In the country I'm in now religion is still taught in schools
In the country I'm in now religion is still taught in schools
I'm in vacation in Poland right now and someone told me when we were talking about education mentioned that religion is taught in schools in Poland for elementary and high school.. Now for some reason I always thought that since in the USA religion can only be taught at religious schools not normal that religion would not be a class in normal schools in Poland .. Poland's a heavy Christian country just like the U.S. but I guess the politics are different .. As a former student in a special religious class for 2 years in order to be confirmed I had to take it .. At the time I was undecided about my faith like 50/50 and basically had no choice I had to go to religion school for a hour each Saturday. This all got me thinking in these schools in Poland and other Europe countries its sad to see students not being challenged if there's a question about life they can't answer it will be .. Well god did it.. Students are just wasting they're time that can be put into actual worthy good doing things instead they learn about God.. It upsets me .. Schools are a place for facts not faifth.
RE: In the country I'm in now religion is still taught in schools
Hehehe, talk to some of our euros and you'd get the impression that religion was absent in their governments and schools. I don't believe them for a second, of course. But..... we all like to tell ourselves stories - about ourselves.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 6, 2014 at 2:07 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Hehehe, talk to some of our euros and you'd get the impression that religion was absent in their governments and schools. I don't believe them for a second, of course. But..... we all like to tell ourselves stories - about ourselves.

Excluding a class in primary school called 'Religious and moral' education that is still mandatory but it doesn't count for the student's approval or disapproval of the school year, there is not presence of religion in schools, there are religious classes but it's up to the parent to consent. Even crosses were taken away a few years ago. What's your doubt about europe and europeans? Of course I can't talk for all europeans.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

We try to keep the torture devices out of our schools as well, religion isn't smuggled in on a cross.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 6, 2014 at 2:35 pm)Rhythm Wrote: We try to keep the torture devices out of our schools as well, religion isn't smuggled in on a cross.

So what's your point/opinion?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Meh, just the usual, you'll find religion -everywhere-...and everywhere you find it it's in the business of really screwing things up. Sometimes people think that it's not hanging over and around them - but it doesn't generally take long to show them that it is (and that's ignoring that it would probably be just as easy to show it in operation within themselves).
(July 6, 2014 at 2:50 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Meh, just the usual, you'll find religion -everywhere-...and everywhere you find it it's in the business of really screwing things up. Sometimes people think that it's not hanging over and around them - but it doesn't generally take long to show them that it is (and that's ignoring that it would probably be just as easy to show it in operation within themselves).

I agree with you that religion can be found in a lot of places even if it's in a subliminal way

(July 6, 2014 at 2:27 pm)Blackout Wrote:
(July 6, 2014 at 2:07 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Hehehe, talk to some of our euros and you'd get the impression that religion was absent in their governments and schools. I don't believe them for a second, of course. But..... we all like to tell ourselves stories - about ourselves.

Excluding a class in primary school called 'Religious and moral' education that is still mandatory but it doesn't count for the student's approval or disapproval of the school year, there is not presence of religion in schools, there are religious classes but it's up to the parent to consent. Even crosses were taken away a few years ago. What's your doubt about europe and europeans? Of course I can't talk for all europeans.

I know that its not mandatory and that atheist parents will obviously not allow it but Christians will and kids will just follow along .. Also it says that it counts for GPA the religion class that is.
(July 6, 2014 at 3:15 pm)TechAtheist Wrote:
(July 6, 2014 at 2:27 pm)Blackout Wrote: Excluding a class in primary school called 'Religious and moral' education that is still mandatory but it doesn't count for the student's approval or disapproval of the school year, there is not presence of religion in schools, there are religious classes but it's up to the parent to consent. Even crosses were taken away a few years ago. What's your doubt about europe and europeans? Of course I can't talk for all europeans.

I know that its not mandatory and that atheist parents will obviously not allow it but Christians will and kids will just follow along .. Also it says that it counts for GPA the religion class that is.

Well if it's not a mandatory class it shouldn't count for GPA (I'm assuming GPA in america is the equivalent of your average grade results more or less), that's just benefiting religious people, mostly Christians (I don't know if they teach any other religion considering most americans are christians) in detriment of atheists, non religious people, agnostics and people with different religions. It sucks to be a minority sometimes.

(July 6, 2014 at 3:01 pm)Blackout Wrote:
(July 6, 2014 at 2:50 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Meh, just the usual, you'll find religion -everywhere-...and everywhere you find it it's in the business of really screwing things up. Sometimes people think that it's not hanging over and around them - but it doesn't generally take long to show them that it is (and that's ignoring that it would probably be just as easy to show it in operation within themselves).

I agree with you that religion can be found in a lot of places even if it's in a subliminal way

Just thinking
everyone here feels the
subliminal angle is highly overrated,
usually it goes right over everybody's head and
so little comes of it. But that is just my opinion on the matter . . .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need a new passport, which country is officially atheist? BananaFlambe 44 2416 December 20, 2023 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1443 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Supreme Court Rules Taxpayers Must Fund Religious Schools Duty 17 1522 July 2, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 30103 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4195 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  God in schools Figbash 51 3985 October 5, 2018 at 6:23 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5510 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Would I still be an atheist if I believed this? SuperSentient 21 3532 March 23, 2017 at 3:15 am
Last Post: SuperSentient
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9646 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 101 14536 September 17, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: DanTheOutlaw