Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion's Treatment of Women
Religion's Treatment of Women
I don't know how many of you are women in this forum, but I really get angry about the way that religion has blamed women for various things (Eve caused Adam to eat the forbidden fruit, so from then on, all women would pay for this sin by having menstrual periods and giving birth to babies - definitely severe punishment!) and the way women are supposed to behave and are treated because of religion. Mary Magadeline was a prostitue, etc. Women were only created to be a "helpmate" to men - they had no purpose of their own. Today, in many religions, women are not allowed to have positions in the church because they are not "worthy." Women must submit to their husbands. Women in muslim countries are murdered because they go outside without a man, and muslim terrorists are rewarded with 72 virgins when they go to heaven. And all the other bullshit that religions spew.
RE: Religion's Treatment of Women
The treatment of women in religion is indeed despicable, and it is sickening that it is only now that we are beginning to see some changes in their treatment (although not by a lot). It is a positive thing to note about atheism that once you accept there is no God, everyone becomes equal. Homosexuals, women, etc are all equal and no less "human".
(November 3, 2008 at 12:41 pm)Tiberius Wrote: The treatment of women in religion is indeed despicable, and it is sickening that it is only now that we are beginning to see some changes in their treatment (although not by a lot). It is a positive thing to note about atheism that once you accept there is no God, everyone becomes equal. Homosexuals, women, etc are all equal and no less "human".
Very true.
(November 3, 2008 at 10:34 am)jules96 Wrote: I don't know how many of you are women in this forum, but I really get angry about the way that religion has blamed women for various things (Eve caused Adam to eat the forbidden fruit, so from then on, all women would pay for this sin by having menstrual periods and giving birth to babies - definitely severe punishment!) and the way women are supposed to behave and are treated because of religion. Mary Magadeline was a prostitue, etc. Women were only created to be a "helpmate" to men - they had no purpose of their own. Today, in many religions, women are not allowed to have positions in the church because they are not "worthy." Women must submit to their husbands. Women in muslim countries are murdered because they go outside without a man, and muslim terrorists are rewarded with 72 virgins when they go to heaven. And all the other bullshit that religions spew.

Agreed. And isn't it sad when you see women in the CofE demonstrating against the ordination of women priests? They can look good in fancy dress too, surely? Why do women of faith accept all the shit?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(November 3, 2008 at 3:56 pm)bozo Wrote: Why do women of faith accept all the shit?
Brainwashing.
(November 3, 2008 at 8:08 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(November 3, 2008 at 3:56 pm)bozo Wrote: Why do women of faith accept all the shit?
Brainwashing.
Is that a sexist response? Does it imply women are more susceptible than men?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Bozo,

No the brainwashing works on both male and female. it's just that some religions favors males so it doesn't seem to affect them.

Look at it this way:

If doctrine says blue eyed people are smarter than brown eyed people and everyone falls for it. The only ones bothered by it are the brown eyed people, but the blue eyed people bought into the same doctrine none the less.

(edited for clarity)
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(November 3, 2008 at 9:17 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: No the brainwashing works on both male and female.
I never said it didn't. My point was these religions brainwash their followers into thinking that women are somehow "inferior". Once they are brainwashed to think this way, they hardly ever question the doctrine. I mean, why would they? They are "inferior" and can't possibly question these things.
(November 3, 2008 at 9:59 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(November 3, 2008 at 9:17 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: No the brainwashing works on both male and female.
I never said it didn't.

Neither did I, I was responding to Bozo.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(November 3, 2008 at 8:08 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
Brainwashing.

I think it the nature of women to want to be peacemakers and have everyone "get along." So when women are brainwashed from birth that they are inferior and must "submit" to husbands and men in general, their natural inclination is not to rock the boat. However, women have a brain, so I can't understand why women who don't question this theology (or men also.) That said, it is very hard to change beliefs that you are taught from birth and that much of society around the world reinforces. I don't understand why women's groups such as NOW and others don't make this more of an issue. There is a war on women - watch the news and shows like Nancy Grace, etc. to get an idea of all the women each day who are murdered or go missing. I live in SC where we are 1st or 2nd in the number of domestic violence cases in the nation. We are also one of the most religious states in the nation - think there's a connection? I have been told over my lifetime that I am a very intelligent person and I have a Master's Degree to help prove it. Yet when I have been to have my car worked on, some high-school drop-out working at the local garage looks and me and talks to me as if I'm barely intelligent enough to be able to drive a car. Not only are the women taught from birth that they are inferior, the men are also taught it from birth. We are also supposed to be eternal virgins, but turn into red-hot mamas during sex, then afterword we are sluts. I also think this idea comes from religious beliefs. So... all you atheist and agnostic men go out and promote the belief that women are equal and intelligent Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink The Attraction System In MEN & WOMEN Proves God Exists!!! Edward John 69 13354 December 12, 2016 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Feminism: why am I supposed to worship women's feet again? WinterHold 168 26253 April 12, 2016 at 5:03 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10717 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4906 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19816 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Why would women want to join a Religion? Spooky 65 12414 March 5, 2015 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Women's Position In Religion Nope 30 5550 January 12, 2015 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: robvalue
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49306 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Abortion and Women's Rights Tea Earl Grey Hot 248 58030 June 10, 2014 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: John V
  Women's Rights and Religion Bipolar Bob 50 11156 November 27, 2013 at 9:13 am
Last Post: Brian37