Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let us come home
Let us come home
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world...197191.ece

Is this for real? or Journos on a drought?
RE: Let us come home
(September 4, 2014 at 7:00 pm)lifesagift Wrote: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world...197191.ece

If true, tough shit.

I've been reading articles where European nations have been arresting people who want to go and fight for the animals of ISIS. I say let them go and then revoke their citizenship.

Odds are the stupid pricks will be killed and, if they're not, let them rot in the shithole they murdered for.
Dying to live, living to die.
(September 4, 2014 at 7:08 pm)Beccs Wrote:
(September 4, 2014 at 7:00 pm)lifesagift Wrote: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world...197191.ece

If true, tough shit.

I've been reading articles where European nations have been arresting people who want to go and fight for the animals of ISIS. I say let them go and then revoke their citizenship.

Odds are the stupid pricks will be killed and, if they're not, let them rot in the shithole they murdered for.

Yep all the common sense agrees with you, but the law doesn't. You can't take a passport off of someone and leave them homeless...
(September 4, 2014 at 7:11 pm)lifesagift Wrote:
(September 4, 2014 at 7:08 pm)Beccs Wrote: If true, tough shit.

Yep all the common sense agrees with you, but the law doesn't. You can't take a passport off of someone and leave them homeless...

Unfortunately there are laws . . . and there's justice.

Not always the same thing.
Dying to live, living to die.
No, you can't legally make someone without a state as their home, even if they kill babies for fun....!
(September 4, 2014 at 7:11 pm)lifesagift Wrote: Yep all the common sense agrees with you, but the law doesn't. You can't take a passport off of someone and leave them homeless...
(September 4, 2014 at 7:23 pm)lifesagift Wrote: No, you can't legally make someone without a state as their home, even if they kill babies for fun....!

Edward Snowden would disagree with you.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(September 4, 2014 at 7:11 pm)lifesagift Wrote:
(September 4, 2014 at 7:08 pm)Beccs Wrote: If true, tough shit.

Actually you can take a passport off of someone. For the world cup known and prosecuted football hooligans had their passports and travel rights restricted effectively banning them leaving the country.

The UN convention on the reduction of statelessness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention_...telessness) does allow for passports and citizenship to be revoked if the individuals in questions are deemed to be a threat to the state's security. It's a debatable point as the convention is entirely subjective: http://www.refworld.org/pdfid/4bbf387d2.pdf

Quote:However, the Office
has never clearly defined what de facto statelessness is, nor what the legal and operational
responses to de facto statelessness should be. In this respect, it should be noted that whereas
an international treaty regime has been developed for addressing problems of de jure
statelessness – including most notably the 1954 and 1961 Statelessness Conventions – there
is no such legally binding regime at the global level for de facto stateless persons who are not
refugees.5
(Direct quote, formatting needed).

There's room for interpretation, but there is certainly a possibility that their passports and their citizenship can be revoked. These fighters, as above, would be labelled as de facto stateless which, if the above interpretation is taken as given, would mean there is scope within the convention to make them as such. Paradoxically perhaps, that could almost in turn legitimise the "IS" as presumably the guys who have out there to fight would identify with the IS as their new 'nation state' (if that were possible). Whilst obviously IS is not recognised as anything other than a terrorist organisation, it doesn't stop them identifying it as a legitimate state. Of course, legitimacy is an act in crowd approval so, go figure where that would leave the legal position.

(September 4, 2014 at 7:23 pm)lifesagift Wrote: No, you can't legally make someone without a state as their home, even if they kill babies for fun....!

As above, technically you can.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I had a quick look at the article and I don't think it says that they were fighting for IS, just for the opposition to Assad. Those are the people we support (I think).

There can't be a blanket ban on Brits fighting abroad or they wouldn't be allowed to join the armed forces of friendly countries. If some enrolled in the Iraqui militias that are fighting IS then we would applaud, I suppose.
Article doesn't make clear who they're fighting for. But I'm not subscribed to the times so I can't read it all.

IS is classed as a banned terrorist organisation in the UK so anyone who goes out to fight for them or even supports them in anything other than voice/debate (eg / gives financial aid) is breaking the law.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/sy..._final.pdf
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Yeah, I don't subscribe either. But for sure you can't fight for people like that. Just making the point that you can't ban all Brits who fight abroad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supreme Court To Take Up Right to Carry Firearm Outside Home onlinebiker 57 2260 April 29, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Home Schooling onlinebiker 15 689 August 13, 2020 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Health care people and first responders - let us know how you are. arewethereyet 22 1901 April 26, 2020 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  West Virginia, WH dumbass, send him home. Brian37 42 2972 March 18, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Come on Pelosi onlinebiker 11 1103 January 10, 2020 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Shot in her own home! Brian37 119 7531 October 16, 2019 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Sen. Moscow Mitch Injured at Home DeistPaladin 21 3526 August 12, 2019 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Let The Wookiee Rest In Peace.... Brian37 9 815 May 4, 2019 at 1:52 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Too stupid to let loose Mr.Obvious 5 900 October 27, 2018 at 5:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  A Hint Of Things To Come Minimalist 18 1779 October 11, 2018 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah