Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Schooling
Home Schooling
The Amish are ahead when the electricity goes out. They shrug their shoulders and get back to whatever they are doing.

Now the home schoolers have a leg up. School openings are not on their radar.

I have to wonder how many people will change their mind about it - after being forced into it - due C19...
RE: Home Schooling
Been doing it for a bit now, gallows humor...c19 has been a godsend. My kids mounted a little rebellion against daddy for a few months this year and they'd be way behind if it weren't for closures. They caught up to summer slump status. It's okay now, I ground that nonsense under heel with pain and shame and endless shitty chores as the only alternative. Bonus, they learned about tyrannical rule first person, just like the rest of us during these covid times.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The parents and kids here were given a choice...remote learning or in school. Unfortunately my granddaughter and step-granddaughter went the way of in school. I wish they had waited till the next quarter to see how things go. If Georgia is any indication, it's not a good idea.

I do get that some parents either can't or won't step up to the challenge of teaching their kids but this could really be bad really fast.

I am glad it's not a decision I have to make...but I would have gone for home schooling...I was a pretty tough task master with my kids when it came to their schoolwork. I didn't just turn it over to the teachers and expect them to handle it.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Stupid people teaching their children. I weep for this country.
(August 13, 2020 at 6:31 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Stupid people teaching their children. I weep for this country.

A reference to me?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

It's the general supposition about the vast majority of home schoolers, not without warrant, given the predominant reasons to home school (until now, I guess). Thankfully, regardless of the stupidity of the parents, homeschoolers routinely destroy their public school counterparts in a wide range of metrics used to judge the success of students and the efficacy of education.

If you get into it to ensure that your kids are dumb, you're going to succeed at that, but if you get into it with the intent to actually educate your children, and you can afford it, and you have the time, and you possess the patience, and you.... well, it works.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 13, 2020 at 6:49 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(August 13, 2020 at 6:31 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Stupid people teaching their children. I weep for this country.

A reference to me?

No, to my cousins. I know one kid that was homeschooled and has three Ph.Ds. now. His parents and older siblings taught him. Scary bunch. But they're the exceptions.
Not anymore. The internets really flipped the tables on home schoolers, public schoolers, and private schoolers. Politics, too, helped turn the tables. All that teach the controversy shit had lasting effects.

Used to go Private(catholic)>Public>Homeschool. At least when I was in school. A decade later it was Homeschool>Public>Private. It took alot of convincing and some pretty shitty circumstances to get me to try it - and I'm glad that my concerns were either false impressions entirely, or based on outdated information and circumstances. I'm also glad that the private ed sector willingly covered itself in gasoline and lit a match - I didn't want to have to pay those prices and that was my first instinct. Those prices, with two decades of inflation.
(August 13, 2020 at 5:34 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: The parents and kids here were given a choice...remote learning or in school.  Unfortunately my granddaughter and step-granddaughter went the way of in school.  I wish they had waited till the next quarter to see how things go.  If Georgia is any indication, it's not a good idea.

I do get that some parents either can't or won't step up to the challenge of teaching their kids but this could really be bad really fast.

I am glad it's not a decision I have to make...but I would have gone for home schooling...I was a pretty tough task master with my kids when it came to their schoolwork.  I didn't just turn it over to the teachers and expect them to handle it.

I taught high school math and physics for two years. It takes parents, students and teachers working together for the student to get a good education. It's like a tripod- it's the least number of legs for stability. Less, and it isn't a good structure. It was easy to tell which kids didn't get support at home for their education. Given that the tuition in the mid-'90s was $9600 a year for high school, one would think that the parents would be invested enough to pay attention to junior's grades, at a minimum. But it was a haven for a lot of entertainment industry brats, so the kid's expectations of going to work at dad or mom's company may have had a play in it.

Parents who are interested in their children getting an education, and avoiding public school are the ones whose children do well. The only thing I've noticed is that they are not socialized as much as kids in large settings, and they don't always conform well. That last is not a judgment, just an observation. Non-conformist thinking generally means that they think for themselves, which I am all for.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Working on that, there are more and more and more opportunities for home schooled kids (and home schooled kids and pub/priv kids) to socialize in large educational settings. Not right now, ofc. Yet another benefit of homeschool. I don't -have- to send my kids to the daily super spreader events.

I lean alot on my moms, she was a teacher and an administrator who was all in for stem before they called it stem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supreme Court To Take Up Right to Carry Firearm Outside Home onlinebiker 57 2115 April 29, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  West Virginia, WH dumbass, send him home. Brian37 42 2847 March 18, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Shot in her own home! Brian37 119 7121 October 16, 2019 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Sen. Moscow Mitch Injured at Home DeistPaladin 21 3476 August 12, 2019 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Search For Leaks Closer To Home Minimalist 0 534 May 1, 2018 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Guess He Figured If They Were In A Nursing Home They Weren't "Donors." Minimalist 5 1066 September 25, 2017 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The WLB Wants To Fuck Over Nursing Home Patients Minimalist 6 1258 August 18, 2017 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Schooling the Cops chimp3 73 4889 October 9, 2016 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Sweet Home Alapocracy, Lawd I'm comming..... Brian37 3 938 March 28, 2016 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Chad32
  Home remedy medical failure. brewer 17 2517 March 11, 2016 at 8:42 am
Last Post: Joods