Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horrible things in the bible
Horrible things in the bible
Okay so I'm a christian, but since these are your forums it would be fair to share what you hate about the bible (the unsettling parts) and christians try to argue them. (A practice debate?)

Off the top of my head

1- destruction of Canaanites and everyone else. Considering that this is not a myth; I believe (I'm not saying it's right) that god ordered their killing so that his plan could come about (jesus and all)
But why kill the poor Canaanites? (I'm using a collective term)
You probably never heard of child sacrifice to Molech. With their idolatry, they were killing the children and doing other things. Read in context, that is one reason idolatry was bad. The world back then was barbaric guys. When the world's barbaric, god adheres to it; and since during Jesus' s time the world was relatively more peaceful than that, I guess god finally thought that it is time for humanity to be shown what living holy is about (because they were capable of it). Who knows, maybe if we returned to being holy creatures like Adam and Eve; we won't even need the ten commandments.

2- The bears and 42 mauled.
First of all youth at that time meant adolescents after 16. And second, we don't know what calling someone bald back then. There were probably hundreds of people calling him bald and since we don't know how insulting it was for someone to be called bald in those days, I'd like to present a modern day scenario
If you call an African American coon, or nigger, you might get beaten up pretty bad. Same with calling gay people the f word ( I know you're going to point this out, but most catholics and the pope don't discriminate)
Whatever, but imagine if 42 (at least) people called a gay person the f word. Wouldn't he want them all to get punished? And we're talking about a prophet here! In 5000 years they'll be saying- wow that black man beat him up just because he called him a coon? That's rough!
And the bears didn't necessarily kill and eat them. Maul is sort of like a punch. You really think 2 bears waited to see if someones dead to go onto the next one.

3- judges 19 rape. This rape was never condoned by god, neither was the episode with Lots daughters. And who said the Israelites weren't punished? There was a civil war after that!

4- slavery. Surely you can't compare that slavery to American slavery. It was customary to have slaves then (I prefer calling them servants) nothing wrong with that. Rich people Still have servants. Atleast god made rules so that they'd be treated properly. He could've let the hebrews do whatever they wished with them, but they didn't.

All I can think of. At the moment Big Grin
RE: Horrible things in the bible
2- I'm okay with people using slurs. call me a fag, poofter whatever you want. I don't give a toss what an idiot thinks of me. Beating them up is just counterproductive don't you think
Levite's concubine.
Quote:Considering that this is not a myth

It is a myth. The question about it is why would people invent such a myth to honor a mythical bunch of scumbags?

Is all your understanding of history this faulty?
Seeing how Yahweh has ordered and committed the killing of children, I doubt that the real reason for killing the Canaanites was because of child sacrifice. Even so, why is killing them all the best thing, instead of just changing society so that most people know killing children is bad? I'm not sure why current Human culture would dictate on what Yahweh thought was right or wrong, unless people were making it up as they went along.

There have been videos about how the bear mauling really was about young children, because the word used is the same word used in other parts of the bible to indicate a young child. I would not want anyone to be mauled to death, especially children, just for calling me names.

Yes, rape is condoned by Yahweh. Unless she's married or betrothed, it's ok to rape someone as long as you have fifty silver handy. Or if you kill all her friends and family first, and drag her back to your place as the spoils of war. The bible is pretty clear on this.

Yahweh said that other Isrealites should be released after seven years, so you should treat them well. People from other tribes, and servants that accepted a wife from you, were property that you were allowed to beat nearly to death. as long as they didn't die within a day or two. Treating someone as property that you can pass down to your children and beat half to death is not treating them as Human beings who are equal to you.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

It was customary to have slaves back then...and not customary to have slaves in America at that time? And to be clear, slavery was always wrong, regardless of customs.

Here's a fun scenario:
A time machine is invented.
You travel back to 650 BCE.

You: Hey, sla...uhhh servant! I've got this time machine, get in and I'll save you!

Slave: Oh, no it's cool. Slavery isn't bad in this time. It's customary. If I travel forward to your time, when slavery isn't customary, I'm afraid I'll suddenly realize how much slavery sucks.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Awesome. Another "biblical slavery is just like voluntary employment" apologist.
Probably a republicunt.
Still looking for a "Thou shalt not own another human being as property" in that detestable book.

Maybe in the next revised edition?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 5, 2014 at 9:12 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Still looking for a "Thou shalt not own another human being as property" in that detestable book.

Maybe in the next revised edition?

I'm still waiting for "thou shalt not allow another to bear the burden of your faults".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44141 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7451 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  This is just horrible BrokenQuill92 27 5046 February 5, 2014 at 8:27 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
Star 11 Things The Bible Bans,But You Do It Anyway (Hell awaits you all) Big Blue Sky 11 5434 July 9, 2013 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Raven
  Horrible People. Christians Cinjin 36 14325 May 20, 2013 at 11:13 am
Last Post: John V