Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Point of Inquiry: Islam needs to be vigorously criticized
Point of Inquiry: Islam needs to be vigorously criticized
Faisal Saeed Al Mutar is an Iraqi refugee, and founder of the Global Secular Humanist Movement.

Skip to 15 mins if you just want to hear about Islam, Ben Affleck and so on.

Faisal has a clear-eyed view of Islam. He says the doctrine/ideology of Islam is the problem (jihad, martyrdom, the violent example of Mohammed) and must be reformed somehow. Moderate Islam (denial and ignoring the violent verses) will not solve the problem.

Killing ISIS will not make the ideology go away, it will just reappear in some other group. Rather, this is ideological warfare.

Faisal makes the important point (that Ben Affleck can't see) that criticising the doctrine of Islam is not the same as criticising all Muslims.
Quote:Surviving Saddam and Confronting Islam, with Faisal Saeed Al Mutar
http://www.pointofinquiry.org/surviving_..._al_mutar/

As the threat posed by radical Islamists like those of ISIS grows in popular awareness, Islam itself becomes more of a target for criticism; some of it fair, and some of it based in ignorance or bigotry. Can efforts to defend Islam and Muslims from discrimination and racism go too far, and keep us from having an honest discussion about something of such critical importance?

This week, Point of Inquiry welcomes Faisal Saeed Al Mutar, an Iraqi refugee turned activist, and founder of the Global Secular Humanist Movement. Al Mutar talks about growing up in Iraq under the tyranny of Saddam Hussein, and his belief that Islam needs to be more vigorously criticized, and that its adherents must be held to a higher moral standard.

[Image: Faisal_Saeed_Al-Mutar1.jpg]
RE: Point of Inquiry: Islam needs to be vigorously criticized
Wiping ISIS out would only create martyrs. Yes, Islam should be criticized. But very carefully.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
If the religious leaders just one day decided they are editing the books and taking out all the horrible shit (admittedly not much would be left) do you think the sheep would follow and accept this? The leaders could all claim divine revelation, of course. Until those books are softened or disposed of, people will continue to use them to justify immoral acts, on a small or large scale.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 18, 2014 at 6:03 am)robvalue Wrote: If the religious leaders just one day decided they are editing the books and taking out all the horrible shit (admittedly not much would be left) do you think the sheep would follow and accept this? The leaders could all claim divine revelation, of course. Until those books are softened or disposed of, people will continue to use them to justify immoral acts, on a small or large scale.

Hate and anger are powerful drugs just as addictive as any chemical. If you take all the fun out of it nobody would join. They'll find something new, or just make up something else.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
I think the world is making it too easy for them, with these DIY slaughter manuals being socially accepted. It's like leaving a loaded gun on the floor.

At least without that, they'd have a harder time justifying their shit and brainwashing people. Hopefully, anyway.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(December 18, 2014 at 6:03 am)robvalue Wrote: If the religious leaders just one day decided they are editing the books and taking out all the horrible shit (admittedly not much would be left) do you think the sheep would follow and accept this? The leaders could all claim divine revelation, of course. Until those books are softened or disposed of, people will continue to use them to justify immoral acts, on a small or large scale.

(December 18, 2014 at 10:23 am)robvalue Wrote: I think the world is making it too easy for them, with these DIY slaughter manuals being socially accepted. It's like leaving a loaded gun on the floor.

At least without that, they'd have a harder time justifying their shit and brainwashing people. Hopefully, anyway.

The thing is, the extremists would mark the editors for retribution, and that sure knowledge silences some.

Yes true. I guess in the Internet age it's not nearly so easy to make changes stick as well, so we'd probably just end up with different versions. But that would be good, the "moderates" could worship their murder-lite book while the nutcases keep the full massacre one.

I know, I know. But I can dream. My brain is desperately trying to come up with a way to get rid of these hateful books for the benefit of human kind.

But I think it's realistically about promoting critical thinking and discouraging indoctrination. That should do the trick given enough time.

Index of my best videos
If they can't take the criticism they need to take a hard look at their beliefs and see what they are going is wrong and stop it.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(December 19, 2014 at 12:05 am)dyresand Wrote: If they can't take the criticism they need to take a hard look at their beliefs and see what they are going is wrong and stop it.
If Muslims took a "hard look" at their beliefs, they would find the prophet Mohammed beheaded poets who criticised him. Subsequently, Islam takes blasphemy and criticism very seriously, and you could literally lose your head over it.
Quote:Muhammad’s Dead Poets Society
The assassinations of satirical poets in early Islam

http://www.answering-islam.org/Authors/A..._poets.htm

[Image: B2IZybICEAA82K6.png]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Muhammad_12.jpg
The point is not to avoid criticism, but to understand that it's pointless to take a "hard look" into Islam, because Islam is bad the bone.
In defense of islam, or any religion...really (take screenshots motherfuckers)....

If we got rid of all the fantasy fiction in the god genre scores of people would be pointing at The Catcher In The Rye or some other silly shit for an explanation of why they do what they do. That's what we're talking about here, people using heinously abtuse shit to justify whatever it is that's on their mind. Maybe I'm a cynic...but I don't think that the title or contents of a book matter all that much. They're interchangeable for this purpose - as there are -NO- requirements for this purpose. People can;t always be trusted with a story - that's where we're at...just to knock a few pegs off any notion of civility or refinement.....
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If Allah has a plan, what is the point of Dua? ReptilianPeon 246 30931 March 23, 2022 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7849 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  One reason among many, the world needs Ahlulbayt (as). Mystic 23 3502 April 23, 2018 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  IS: "Islam was never a religion of peace. Islam is the religion of fighting" Napoléon 11 5470 May 15, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Anti-Islam Dutch politician converts to Islam Muslim Scholar 58 33829 May 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Who needs the medressahs when you have the internet Free Thinker 28 4308 April 22, 2013 at 8:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger