Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I was having lunch with an Atheist today...
I was having lunch with an Atheist today...
And we discussed religion a bit. She said no one believes in religion because it makes senses to them, how can religion make sense to them. And said how we believe because we want to feel someone is out there watching over us. I didn't really argue but I realized something. I had no ill feeling towards her for not believing in God, for her views on why I believe in God or why people believe in religion...I actually value her honesty to herself and where it has lead her.

And I realized there, I have no ill feeling toward Atheists for being Atheists or towards Atheism. I think she is a great person and would not think more of her if she believed in God.

Just a good day, a good lunch. I love people.
RE: I was having lunch with an Atheist today...
This is how things should be. Good for you sir.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Yeah, very nice!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I have Muslim and Jewish friends back in Oz. They get along fine so long as they don't talk about politics.

I also have Christian and atheist friends..

We can all get along. I don't have a problem with people's personal beliefs.

I have a problem with what some people do in the name of those beliefs, or lack thereof.
Dying to live, living to die.
Glad you had a nice lunch with your atheist friend!

I have many theist friends that I hang out with often, with similar results. Several of my theist friends and I go surfing together on a weekly basis.

On a side note, I see you changed your religious views to pantheist. Have your religious views and your view of divinity really changed that much in the last few weeks? Just curious.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(December 18, 2014 at 7:40 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: On a side note, I see you changed your religious views to pantheist. Have your religious views and your view of divinity really changed that much in the last few weeks? Just curious.

No, I just don't know how to categorize it. For about 12 years, I've been thinking everything is created from the essence of God and that he emits his own existence to create existence. And that realities get their reality from God and is a manifestation of God (partial manifestation of him). I don't know if Deism is correct for me if I think God actively lives inside everything and is part of everything while still being his separate entity.

I'm not sure if Pantheism correctly points to my view, but I think with my limited knowledge this is what pantheism is about when it says the universe is God, it's that God encompasses everything in existence.
The most important people in my life are theists of one stripe or another. How could I hate them?
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(December 18, 2014 at 8:42 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: The most important people in my life are theists of one stripe or another. How could I hate them?

It's interesting you're saying that, since I don't even know if the most important people in my life are theists or atheists. Religion is such a non issue in my parts that hardly anyone talks about it.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 18, 2014 at 7:45 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(December 18, 2014 at 7:40 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: On a side note, I see you changed your religious views to pantheist. Have your religious views and your view of divinity really changed that much in the last few weeks? Just curious.

No, I just don't know how to categorize it. For about 12 years, I've been thinking everything is created from the essence of God and that he emits his own existence to create existence. And that realities get their reality from God and is a manifestation of God (partial manifestation of him). I don't know if Deism is correct for me if I think God actively lives inside everything and is part of everything while still being his separate entity.

I'm not sure if Pantheism correctly points to my view, but I think with my limited knowledge this is what pantheism is about when it says the universe is God, it's that God encompasses everything in existence.

Over the two years I have been with AF, I have seen your religious views change from atheist to deist to pantheism. It shows you are really digging deep in your beliefs. Cheers.
(December 18, 2014 at 8:44 pm)abaris Wrote:
(December 18, 2014 at 8:42 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: The most important people in my life are theists of one stripe or another. How could I hate them?

It's interesting you're saying that, since I don't even know if the most important people in my life are theists or atheists. Religion is such a non issue in my parts that hardly anyone talks about it.

Yeah, it's mostly that way here, too. But, that's because I live in New England where, for the most part, religion just isn't that big of a deal. There's the assumption that everyone believes in god to a certain extent, but it doesn't really pop up in conversation. So, that allows me and my lack of belief to just exist under the radar with little trouble. But, I realize that other areas of the country are much different in that regard.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christianity in Africa stats: <10 MN in 1900, 700 MN today. Nishant Xavier 75 3797 July 24, 2023 at 8:30 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1575 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  No Financial Inclusion Today! No Financial Inclusion Tomarrah! Or For Eternity, Even mascale 21 2102 August 12, 2019 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Having religious friends when you're atheist Bahana 15 2642 March 10, 2019 at 1:37 am
Last Post: fredd bear
  The Atheists of Today Show announcement ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 17 4051 November 17, 2017 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE
  Atheist hate having to constantly repeat this.... Brian37 33 6738 October 16, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Today is Chapter One of my new life Won2blv 15 2451 October 23, 2016 at 4:31 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Insane atheists ranting and having emotional breakdowns Theismisgreat 100 11292 August 2, 2016 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  What is your Opinion on Having Required Classes in Logic in Schools? Salacious B. Crumb 43 9154 August 4, 2015 at 12:01 am
Last Post: BitchinHitchins
  Ended up having to get fit and then your reggiechasteen 1 952 May 8, 2015 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Cyberman