Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being the subject of a prayer
Being the subject of a prayer
I find myself in a situation where people are likely to offer prayers on my behalf, people I care about and have no desire to offend. Most of them will know I am not a believer so the first puzzle is, are they being as thoughtful about not offending me by insisting on being public about the prayer? After all, IF there really was a god for them to pray to, AND IF that god can be swayed to alter the course of events by prayer, AND IF it would do so at the urging of the believer without being concerned that the object of their prayer is not a believer, than they could offer up their prayers without mentioning it to me and get the exact same result.

If they insist on making the prayer public with my implied consent, it it likely just setting me up to offend them anyway. If things turn out well I will not be giving a god the glory. If they turn out not-so-well I will simply accept that is how life works, no god's plan involved. Either reaction is likely to offer offense, though I suspect the former more than the latter. It appears that my options are to offend by declining the public prayer in the first place, or by conceding to the prayer and then not accepting god's involvement in the second.

If the prayers being offered “for” me are being offered in the sense that I am the object, than I can appreciate the sentiment and let it go at that. Such rituals are a socially acceptable method for showing concern and support. But if the prayer is offered “for” me in the sense that they are doing something that I should be doing for myself, then a different reflection is in play, with the inference being that I am being deficient in my caring about the situation and so am somehow in their debt. A debt best repaid by acknowledging the effectiveness and caring intervention of their god.

As with all things religious, there is often some ulterior motive for the “good” things that they do.

Anyway, people will do what they want, and I am going to assume the best for most of the people involved. They really do care, but - I suspect - some will also be offended no matter how much I would like for that not to happen.
This had the potential to be a difficult enough time without adding unintended offences to the mix. In this case even the best of religious intentions is as likely to do nothing but add just that little bit more difficulty.
RE: Being the subject of a prayer
Anyways let them pray i mean... why bother saying it doesn't work.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I pray for my little dog, Asta, all the time. Maybe he's a believer, because he doesn't seem to get offended when I do.
Yeah, it's difficult. If they know you don't believe, it's rather bizarre. I would hope it's generally well intentioned, but when someone insists on doing something publically for no good reason I have to suspect there's a possibility of self interest.

I generally find people just tell me they will pray for me, and I just say thank you. I've not had it any more intense than that and not regularly, I understand it would be tough to get it as much as you have to put up with.

You could carry around the findings of the scientific study that showed prayer does not work (and in fact did slightly worse than not praying).
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Praying is for their benefit. Not yours. It makes them feel like they are helping when all they are really doing is sitting on their asses.
I mean even though it doesn't work i pray just to make people feel better.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(January 6, 2015 at 3:25 pm)dyresand Wrote: Anyways let them pray i mean... why bother saying it doesn't work.

Outside of a debate kind of conversation, one where trading ideas is the point, I never tell anyone their prayers are empty or their faith is in a make-believe god. Should it come up in other conversations all I will say is that I don't pray and put little value on faith.

In this particular case those praying are likely to make a bit of a show about it, stopping right in the middle of the sidewalk or while sitting in a restaurant, which puts me in a position of trying to dissuade them or obviously not taking part of the ritual once it has begun. It may just be me, but is seems seriously dishonest for a non-believer to bow one's head in prayer.
Prayer should hurt nothing especially if you deem it worthless.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
They're praying for themselves -about- you TJ.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Sometimes just remaining quiet is better than starting a useless argument. Sorry for your situation OP.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help prayer to get maaried soon for my mom heath.! meboxem166 21 2754 April 1, 2023 at 5:52 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  On the subject of Hell and Salvation Alternatehistory95 278 28153 March 10, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Catholic Church has a prayer app zebo-the-fat 5 639 January 21, 2019 at 11:00 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Intercessory prayer is pointless RobbyPants 93 9997 October 27, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Group prayer on Skype on behalf of our Christian members I_am_not_mafia 132 16110 May 26, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  God limits himself to working through prayer phoenix31 14 3552 January 28, 2017 at 1:26 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The problem with prayer. Gawdzilla 286 25412 August 31, 2016 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Incognito
Heart The power of prayer JBrentonK 87 14838 October 16, 2015 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Stupid, selfish prayer requests Aroura 13 4304 May 31, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  Fallacies in an "Answered Prayer" explanation? Clueless Morgan 33 7451 April 26, 2015 at 1:48 am
Last Post: robvalue