Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double standards on freedom of speech
Double standards on freedom of speech
I found this on the internet, and I thought it was interesting:

A common idea that is being repeated over and over in the wake of the Charlie Hebdo attack is how important satire is to a functioning democracy (although it's never really convincingly explained why that is, but that's another topic), and there are even many who are pushing for certain cartoons to be printed as widely as possible in the name of 'not letting the terrorists win'. Personally, I am completely oblivious to the childish behaviour of the kind of morons that draw and publish such cartoons, and our Prophet (pbuh) is certainly far above this nonsense. I don't think Muslims should even dignify such provocations with a response, let alone drag our religion's name through the mud yet again by acting like lunatics and savages.

In any case, going back to the claims that are being made about the importance of free speech and satire in our great democracies, I thought it would be interesting to take a look at a particular incident that took place with this same magazine a few years ago.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/au...publishing

Notice how the then editor of Charlie Hebdo immediately sacked a veteran satirist for something relatively mild that could 'be interpreted' as spreading the old stereotype associating Jews and money (whether that should even be considered racist is another matter). On the other hand, it is apparently fine to make fairly explicit connections between Muslims, and indeed the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), and terrorists. Which is worse, being associated with terrorists or associated with money and social connections?
The satirist Sine was subsequently put on trial for anti-Semitism. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...-jibe.html
It is quite ironic that a country that could put a man on trial for such a trivial matter is now trying to portray itself as a model of free speech. Let's not forget that France is of course a country in which it is illegal, under threat of jail, to question the Holocaust or to "pass a favourable moral judgment on one or more crimes against humanity and tending to justify these crimes (including collaboration) or vindicate their perpetrators". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_agains...ial#France
Secularists are fond of mocking religious laws of all kinds, but they don't see the stupidity in making it illegal to question a part of history?
If you want a video representation of the extreme double-standards that exist in France in relation to these two matters, then watch the following:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drMvYJpd8JE
RE: Double standards on freedom of speech
Quote: I don't think Muslims should even dignify such provocations with a response, let alone drag our religion's name through the mud yet again by acting like lunatics and savages.

I wish there were more like you.

BTW, the story about that trial was in 2009. Any idea what the result was?
(January 9, 2015 at 12:13 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Secularists are fond of mocking religious laws of all kinds, but they don't see the stupidity in making it illegal to question a part of history?

Why pin that on secularists? Are you implying that secularists, as a group, are somehow responsible for these particular French laws? And if not, where is the double standard you're mentioning?

It's quite possible to disagree with two things, you know.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(January 9, 2015 at 12:13 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Secularists are fond of mocking religious laws of all kinds, but they don't see the stupidity in making it illegal to question a part of history?

I have always stood against hate-speech laws of any sort, not because I agree with what is being said, but because the best antidote to it is a thorough and public evisceration -- not censorship of any sort.

I'm firmly secularist.

(January 9, 2015 at 12:13 am)MysticKnight Wrote: A common idea that is being repeated over and over in the wake of the Charlie Hebdo attack is how important satire is to a functioning democracy (although it's never really convincingly explained why that is, but that's another topic)

Satire is a way to ventilate discord that is most preferable to outbursts of violence. A democracy which allows such outlets is less prone to see discontent expressed in violent or disruptive ways. It's also an assertion of the rights of the people to speak their minds. To see how the government responds to satire can be very instructive. Stable governments tend to be thick-skinned.
A nation that can laugh at itself is a nation that can fix itself.

On the one hand I agree that it's stupid to not allow people to question the holocaust. I think it's probably stupid to question the holocaust but I don't think it should be a crime.

But when you look at what you're comparing,
It's being arrested for denying a crime against humanity happened, downplaying what happened and putting it in print.
And killing people for drawing a picture of a man.

The holocaust is an actual crime against humanity that occurred only a few of generations ago. I think making it a crime to question that it happened is over sensitive to the issue but it's at least a slightly understandable.
And even though the people who deny the holocaust may be fired, abused, mocked and so on, I haven't heard about them being shot in the street or killed. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough I don't know.

I haven't heard of any Jews killing people for depictions of Moses or Abraham either.

There's at least some slight reasoning to the laws against holocaust denial , I think people are hoping to stop history repeating itself by knowing what happened, and avoiding making the same mistakes. Denial that anything happened or that what happened isn't so bad is pretty much a step in the wrong direction.

In a thousand years time or so Hitler will probably just be another page in the history book along with Alexander the great, Napoleon and Ghengis Khan, but for now I think people are going to take offense at the notion that the war crimes which happened under his leadership didn't happen.

Also they aren't saying don't show pictures of the holocaust because it offends me and if you do I'll kill you.

On the other hand Muslims stabbing people to death for helping write a book that mocks Islam, planning to blow up a church which has a non offensive depiction of Muhammad inside, constant death threats, mass killings. None of this seems to have any reasoning behind it.
I think a lot of the people who draw the insulting pictures of Muhammad only do it to begin with because of how unreasonably easily offended and violent Muslims can get, and I do sympathize with those people.

I sympathize with someone who wants to deny the holocaust without getting arrested also, but I sympathize much more with someone who wants to draw a picture without being stabbed to death.

I don't really think you made this thread with the intention of supporting the rights of the holocaust deniers.
I don't really know what the point you're trying to make is, something along the lines of, well people have been arrested for denying things about the holocaust so why are people outraged when Muslims kill people for drawing Muhammad?

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I applaud you for your attitude about the muslim gross over reaction. I am all for free speech.

I am rather shocked to hear about these other laws in France. Illegal to question the holocaust, really? What the hell is that? If I start saying it didn't happen, I can be arrested? Or if I question it morally, saying like the nazis were right? Either way, it's fucked up and you're right, it's a double standard. As far as I know that is rare in Europe... I hope so. We have nothing like that in England. Well, we better not.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I think the holocaust denial.laws are an EU thing and not unique to France. The UK opted out of it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_agai...pean_Union
WHAT? I am gobsmacked. What century are we living in?

Of course I'm not defending the holocaust, but I would never want it to be illegal for anyone to criticise, support or deny anything. Unbelievable! Does this ever get enforced?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Woman - Life - Freedom Movement in Iran 2.0 Leonardo17 43 3261 April 24, 2024 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Women-Life-Freedom Movement in Iran Leonardo17 69 6347 April 7, 2023 at 7:22 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Freedom and peace in the Qur'an KuranMumini19 46 5155 May 7, 2020 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Dawkins banned from Berkerley's KPFA Radio over "abusive" speech against Islam GUBU 11 4087 July 24, 2017 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Obama quoted Muhammad from speech endorsing caliphate and beheading mralstoner 8 3148 February 14, 2016 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Double standard when it comes to terrorism GoHalos1993 28 3775 November 20, 2015 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The double standard when it comes to Islam jeebusmubummed 4 1230 November 18, 2015 at 12:26 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Tomi Lahren on David Cameron's speech mralstoner 16 5274 August 2, 2015 at 4:40 am
Last Post: mralstoner
  Freedom of speech anyone? TubbyTubby 23 5008 March 7, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Jasmine Loves Children, Magic & Freedom (This Prompts Muslim OutRage) EgoRaptor 60 12167 December 17, 2013 at 7:22 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)