Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The morality question
The morality question
why is it religious people can't get their head round us atheist's having morals? Just about every one of them asks where we get them from. Doesn't the question alone just highlight their own lack of confidence in their own abilty to be moral without god.

I once heard a preacher of a perticular religion criticise women for wearing short skirts saying "if you leave the meat out on a plate you can't blame the cat for eating it" surely this individual has no confidence in his ability to look at a woman and apreciate her beauty without resorting to contemplating raping her. It seems like the only thing from stopping him doing so was his religion

This must be one of the only qualities i find in religion. The fear of god seems to be the only thing keeping these people from killing, raping and torturing at will.

Laughable but trueROFLOL
To look is not to see,
to see is looked on in thy soul.

I bid MCMXCIXDevil
RE: The morality question
Because they believe that everything comes from God, including morals. They also believe in moral absolutes meaning that they are fixed which is why they accuse us of making up new morals when it suits us.

When you point out that atheists are just as moral as they are, perhaps more they will simply say that although we don't believe, we still get our morals from God.

You can't win :S
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(March 13, 2010 at 2:52 pm)Darwinian Wrote: they will simply say that although we don't believe, we still get our morals from God.

You can't win :S
They're basically saying that God is subtly guiding us in disguise. But then it means God made us atheist! Or at least he's not in a rush to make us change our mind. Huh
[Image: pPQu8.png]
yeah ain't that a fact! The've took pride in demonising all with a different opinion to their own since the dawn of their "word of god" and fortified themselves ever since. Each generation adding a brick to the wall. But having said this reason can never loose to ignorance and we shall eventually be heardDevil
To look is not to see,

I bid MCMXCIXDevil
The notion that the only thing stopping someone from becoming a psychotic lawless delinquent is an imaginary being in the sky is highly laughable, although somewhat insulting at the same time.

I would never dream of causing harm to another human, or infact an animal. I might be a godless heathen, but that doesn't equate to being immoral. In fact, I feel the scientific notion that all life is interrelated and interconnected gives more of a feeling of moral responsibility than religion ever did.

The most laughable aspect of that arguement however is people sitting and calling atheists immoral when their entire faith is based upon a highly reprehensible text, full of baby killing and merciless slaughter etc.
I like the necker cube by the way darwinian thank god? i wasnt on lsd i'd be here all night looking at it
i totally agree lauren i am offended just by the question. in asking such a question they deny us our humanity. But having said that they do think we're born with tails
To look is not to see,

I bid MCMXCIXDevil
If somebody has a solid understanding of what they think their god is and they can relate everything in the universe back to "him", the question "where do atheists get their morality from?" is a pretty valid question if asked from curiosity and a desire to learn. I think it's a great question if framed properly. It's just a shame that so many people use it rhetorically as an argument in its own right.
Why be moral if you can be immoral? What's the point?
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
RE: the question "where do atheists get their morality from?" is a pretty valid ques
It may be a valid question but not from those intent on demonising those inclined to answer
the real question is "if you don't believe in god would you commit crime based on that belief"Thinking
To look is not to see,

I bid MCMXCIXDevil
RE: the question "where do atheists get their morality from?" is a pretty valid ques
(March 13, 2010 at 4:35 pm)deicide110 Wrote: It may be a valid question but not from those intent on demonising those inclined to answer
the real question is "if you don't believe in god would you commit crime based on that belief"Thinking

Oh I certainly agree that it is most often used *on the internet (ie by VFX types)* in a demonizing way. Am I giving too much credit to theists when I assume that most of them ask this question without the presupposition that atheists are immoral and won't be able to answer? Maybe the fact that I live in a very atheist area has clouded my vision of the wider world Tongue

*Edit where I noticed I completely contradicted myself. I know what I meant to say xD

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution cannot account for morality chiknsld 341 33144 January 1, 2023 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3393 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Morality versus afterlife robvalue 163 31050 March 13, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Morality quiz, and objective moralities robvalue 14 4493 January 31, 2016 at 7:15 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Religion is a poor source of morality Cecelia 117 17082 October 10, 2015 at 5:26 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How flexible is your religious morality? robvalue 24 7327 August 12, 2015 at 6:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  "Ultimate" meaning, "objective" morality, and "inherent" worth. Esquilax 6 3632 June 25, 2015 at 4:06 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Religious theists: question about your morality robvalue 24 4931 April 5, 2015 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Supposed Theist Morality Striper 26 7304 November 5, 2014 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Theistic morality Foxaèr 64 21824 May 28, 2014 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: FilthyMeat