Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hate the belief, not the believer
Hate the belief, not the believer
Since I de-converted from Christianity, I kind of adapted my "hate the sin, not the sinner" ideals. I have been through some really terrible things at the hands of religious people, in the name of god, and justified by the religion itself.

I have been thinking a lot about personal responsibility, and versus impaired judgement due to childhood indoctrination.

I'm really struggling trying to find a cross over point. When do stop blaming the religion for a person's wrong doings and make take responsibility of their own actions. When is it okay to hate the believer for their beliefs?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
RE: Hate the belief, not the believer
I don't think many here actually do hate the believer, there is a lot here that say terrible things about their beliefs, but I don't think its the believe itself they point those words to, well I hope not, that wouldn't be very intelligent at all.
In regards to Joseph Smith, Pat Robertson, Joyce Meyers, Jimmy Swaggart, etal, I note the professed religious beliefs are not sincerely held.

I'd suggest folks, even the pew warmers, be subject to 'tests' of religious sincerity prior to parcelling out any 'breaks' to them.

I'll go get the strychnine . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I detest hypocrites. If a Christian lives by his proclaimed tenets, I'm fine. But I find that there are quite a few of them who are not only hypocrites, but smug, sanctimonious, and preachy even as they commit crimes worse than anything I'd dared to have done, crimes of perversion, larceny, and obstruction.

Clean up your own back yard, I say -- and shut the fuck up while you're doing it. Humble believers who do their best are cool in my book. People who think of cancer as god's gift to children, who pray for illness to befall others at all, who justify evil done in the name of their faith -- well, fuck them.

(February 19, 2015 at 1:44 am)psychoslice Wrote: I don't think many here actually do hate the believer, there is a lot here that say terrible things about their beliefs, but I don't think its the believe itself they point those words to, well I hope not, that wouldn't be very intelligent at all.

My point was that some people just have their beliefs and even though those beliefs are terrible it's none of my business, but some people use their beliefs to justify hideous actions. So, I wonder if at that point I am justified in blaming the person instead of just the religion. Should people be held responsible for their actions even when they were driven by well meaning religious intentions based on their personal beliefs?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(February 19, 2015 at 3:19 am)Losty Wrote:
(February 19, 2015 at 1:44 am)psychoslice Wrote: I don't think many here actually do hate the believer, there is a lot here that say terrible things about their beliefs, but I don't think its the believe itself they point those words to, well I hope not, that wouldn't be very intelligent at all.

My point was that some people just have their beliefs and even though those beliefs are terrible it's none of my business, but some people use their beliefs to justify hideous actions. So, I wonder if at that point I am justified in blaming the person instead of just the religion. Should people be held responsible for their actions even when they were driven by well meaning religious intentions based on their personal beliefs?

Good point, and I agree with you.
(February 19, 2015 at 3:14 am)Parkers Tan Wrote: If a Christian lives by his proclaimed tenets, I'm fine.

Fuck that! History has already shown us what happens when Christians live by their proclaimed tenets; wasn't pretty. I'm rather fond of the side of Christians that make them hypocritical in relation to their beliefs; same side that makes them humane.
The way I look at it is indoctrination can produce a type of diminished responsibility. In severe cases it's equivalent to mental abuse. This leaves the person not entirely in their right mind, through no fault of their own.

So to me it's a matter of assessing how much responsibility lies with the person, and how much can be accounted for by indoctrination. Peer pressure, and even physical coercion, will also be factors in a heavily religious society.

Further to that, using religion as a general excuse for actions is unacceptable to me. You are still making the choice to act a certain way. Religious beliefs are arbitrary, and so to say it's ok to follow one kind of belief and act on it is to say that every possible action is ok. That is ridiculous, so I hold people accountable for their actions, regardless of belief, but minus any diminished responsibility factors. Just giving a reason that it's "part of your religion" is like saying its part of a fairy tale, I'm not interested.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Is very simples.

If they are an OK person with odd beliefs, hate the belief.

If they are an asshat, hate the believer. :l
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(February 19, 2015 at 1:36 am)Losty Wrote: Since I de-converted from Christianity, I kind of adapted my "hate the sin, not the sinner" ideals. I have been through some really terrible things at the hands of religious people, in the name of god, and justified by the religion itself.

Some sins cannot divorce themselves from the sinner committing them. Undecided I'm sorry that you've been through such awful things, Losty Sad

Quote:I have been thinking a lot about personal responsibility, and versus impaired judgement due to childhood indoctrination.

I'm really struggling trying to find a cross over point. When do stop blaming the religion for a person's wrong doings and make take responsibility of their own actions.

People always need to take responsibility for their own actions. Whomever and whatever is most at fault for causing them: it's up to them to decide if they're going to own up to their wrongdoings and try to be better than they are/have been... or if they're going to live in blissful denial of their effect upon the world.

By the time they're an adult... they should be quite more than capable of making decisions that should be expected of an adult.

Quote:When is it okay to hate the believer for their beliefs?

When they start hurting other people with their beliefs. It's okay to hate them, Losty.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Satisfaction Correlated with Religious Belief Neo-Scholastic 38 3292 September 10, 2022 at 4:35 am
Last Post: Niblo
  "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is such a logical fallacy Woah0 7 943 September 7, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Belief in white Jesus linked to racism Foxaèr 91 5883 January 1, 2022 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1690 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  hate WinterHold 11 1397 November 21, 2019 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: mordant
  The Dunning-Kruger Effect and Religious Belief AFTT47 18 4003 March 11, 2019 at 7:19 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  When is a Religious Belief Delusional? Neo-Scholastic 266 25379 September 12, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why do the Abrahamic religions hate the female body so much? Rhondazvous 84 10539 June 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Bare minimum for belief in Christianity. ignoramus 37 7505 May 10, 2018 at 1:24 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  "How God got started", how god belief + basic reason + writing -> modern humans? Whateverist 26 6671 October 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama