Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obama's address at Countering Violent Extremism summit
Obama's address at Countering Violent Extremism summit
Oh crap. 34 minutes of talking all around the problem. Barely a mention of Islam. No mention of the root cause of Islamic violence i.e. the example of the prophet Mohammed.

Here goes rationality to die. Word after meaningless word, a stream of clinically-dead bullshit. All because he can't or won't open the fucking Koran and debate its contents. A fucking zombie president, more interested in protecting the image of Islam (for personal identity reasons), than "honest and clear" talk.

Take your brain and incinerate it, that's Obama's legacy. Prepare for a torrent of verbal diarrhea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUwBI9l7ZXc

Quote:Transcript of you're a masochist:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-offi...-extremism

... Leading up to this summit, there’s been a fair amount of debate in the press and among pundits about the words we use to describe and frame this challenge. So I want to be very clear about how I see it.

Al Qaeda and ISIL and groups like it are desperate for legitimacy. They try to portray themselves as religious leaders -- holy warriors in defense of Islam. That’s why ISIL presumes to declare itself the “Islamic State.” And they propagate the notion that America -- and the West, generally -- is at war with Islam. That’s how they recruit. That’s how they try to radicalize young people. We must never accept the premise that they put forward, because it is a lie. Nor should we grant these terrorists the religious legitimacy that they seek. They are not religious leaders -- they’re terrorists. (Applause.) And we are not at war with Islam. We are at war with people who have perverted Islam. (Applause.) ...

So that’s the first challenge -- we've got to discredit these ideologies. We have to tackle them head on. And we can't shy away from these discussions. And too often, folks are, understandably, sensitive about addressing some of these root issues, but we have to talk about them, honestly and clearly. (Applause.) And the reason I believe we have to do so is because I'm so confident that when the truth is out we'll be successful...

And terrorist groups are all too happy to step into a void...
How can Obama be so "confident" of getting the "truth" out when Egypt's leader Sisi said the other day that Islam has a major problem and needs reforming?

Presumably, Obama is still working from his class notes while studying Islam in Indonesia, when he was 6 to 10 years old.
RE: Obama's address at Countering Violent Extremism summit
Or to summarize:

They follow the book. We have to teach them to ignore it like all real muslims do.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
MURICA!

Still fighting violent extremism...

[Image: 8580-thumb.jpg]

With moderate, peace missiles.

But hey, so long as we're not violent...
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Here's a few sound bites from Obama's speech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4eZJ6J80Ws

[Image: B-NgdhSCAAAStvZ.jpg]
It's really frustrating how much Obama will go out of his way not to criticize Islam...

Yet he's responsible for droning more Muslims into the dust than any President.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(February 19, 2015 at 5:57 am)mralstoner Wrote:

The thing is that Obama thinks he needs to find a way of illegitimising Baghdadi's claim to the Caliphate. This is his chosen methodology. Plus it has the benefit of maintaining good terms with the more moderate sects of Islam whom, if he can't count as allies, he can at least maintain neutrality with. The ISIS version of the Prophetic Methodology contains the instruction that all muslims who don't follow their interpretation of Islam are apostates who must be killed or taken in to slavery; they sow the seeds of opposition from those on their very borders. In fact, more atrocities are committed against muslims by ISIS, on a daily basis, than have ever been committed against western nations. It's this aspect of the politics which Obama's trying to exploit.

An alternative approach was published in the Atlantic and I find it hard to refute.
Sum ergo sum
I understand the frustration of some folks at Obama's refusal to acknowledge the Islamic foundation of ISIS (I share that frustration), but the Falwell-esque screeching rhetoric coming from many conservative pundits and politicians is just insane. For example, the bright and lovely Ted Cruz calling him an 'apologist for the terrorists' is the type of rhetoric that makes anyone that might moderately agree with you immediately discount your statements. Obama has called ISIS barbaric, inhuman, evil, and a death cult, and regardless of what you think is the right response to their actions (supplying weapons, boots on the ground, training arab states' armies, etc), even implying that the POTUS is somehow 'on their side' or 'trying to justify their actions' is utterly unhelpful and catastrophically stifling to any sort of progress or agreement on this. What's more, any sort of reasonable concurrence I might have with some very far-right people (happens once in a blue moon) is even further strained when they themselves do the same song and dance for which they're condemning Obama when it comes to atrocities undertaken and performed by Christian groups around the world.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Am I off base here ?

ISIS does not represent religious extremism, they represent religious literalism.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Seems revolutionaries frequently overreach and become worse than their oppressors no matter the basis of their ideology. People with moderate tempraments don't lead revolutions.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(February 19, 2015 at 11:44 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Am I off base here ?

ISIS does not represent religious extremism, they represent religious literalism.
Not quite: they represent a specific, fundamentalist interpretation of Islam based around the 'Prophetic Methodology' (i.e. they behave like Muhammad), the restoration of the Caliphate, and fulfilling Qur'anic prophecies of armageddon.
Sum ergo sum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7877 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Obama quoted Muhammad from speech endorsing caliphate and beheading mralstoner 8 3157 February 14, 2016 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Peroxides Against Obama - episode #2 mralstoner 5 1712 December 2, 2015 at 10:11 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Tomi Lahren schools Obama on ISIS and Chattanooga mralstoner 8 4072 July 25, 2015 at 8:11 am
Last Post: Mr.wizard
  Is Islam more or less violent in Its teachings then other religions? Goosebump 38 6269 June 9, 2015 at 3:36 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Nuclear Iran v. Obama Hubris mralstoner 10 2490 April 2, 2015 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Pizza
  Raging Rudy Giuliani Destroys Obama's Policies on Islam mralstoner 40 7920 February 25, 2015 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Kyle Kulinski on Obama's "Religion Doesn't Kill" mralstoner 32 11456 February 23, 2015 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  How extremism hits a Muslim brain WinterHold 6 2019 January 15, 2015 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Islamic State - Do We Believe Obama or Mohammed? mralstoner 12 3554 October 15, 2014 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: mralstoner