Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indoctrinated Beliefs
Indoctrinated Beliefs
This will probably anger a couple of my friends, so I'm not going to talk about the specific case that I just wrote about in my blog, but I do suggest you have a look at it to see the specific example I'm talking about of a person who I used to count as a friend that was taught some pretty fucked up nonsense that caused irreparable harm to our friendship, not to mention other specific relationships with people in his life that I know about (but didn't write about).

So what am I discussing here? Specifically it's the tendency of Christian RTO's (registered training organisations) to teach a skewed and potentially dangerous version of science - and in this case psychology and specifically neo-Freudism. Some Christians love it because it gives them a so-called scientific defence for the Bible's views on the individual. But it's totally bullshit, and it can lead to very serious problems. Freudism is not taken seriously academically, even its derivative which is psychodynamic theory is seen as being fundamentally flawed to the point that it is not a real science, and its theories are used with extreme caution by any properly qualified psychologist.

This is an example of an indoctrinated belief that I've seen not just in one person - but in a lot of so-called "Christians". It's not a specifically Christian belief, but they are they are very receptive to receiving it without scrutiny or criticism. And most of the people who get taught shit like this quite frankly are not smart enough to know any better or to use the concepts it teaches in the real world in the first place.

Anyone else got some great examples?
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: Indoctrinated Beliefs
What are those RTOs precisely and in what context would they teach freudianism? I googled, but I still only have a vague idea...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: Indoctrinated Beliefs
An RTO is a registered training organisation. They are endorsed by the government to do nationally recognised courses such as diploma or certificate courses. There are some really bad RTO's at the moment that overcharge for diploma courses and use incentives to get students (which is being banned), and admit students who are not capable of completing the course. Now as far as I know Fusion isn't guilty of those sins, they are genuinely non-profit. However their courses are not cheap - the Certificate IV course costs $3,800 and is run over 6 months which compares to say the CIT where a Certificate IV in youth work costs around $1000 and is run over 12 months. I do not know whether it is still a part of their courses, what I do know is that it formed the basis for their teachings on self-actualisation, with a focus on the unwanted so-called negative behaviours. They also had a very strong focus on achieving interdependence. Interdependence is important in the broader social context; that is we need people with a variety of different skills for a thriving healthy community - but they think it's fundamentally important on an individual level.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What beliefs would we consider reasonable for a self proclaimed Christian to hold? Whateverist 853 71861 April 16, 2018 at 4:26 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  So It Seems That This Jesus Freak Corporation's Religious Beliefs Only Go So Far Minimalist 11 2169 July 6, 2017 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Interesting survey of Evangelical beliefs in USA Bunburryist 33 5624 October 11, 2016 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The 10 Most Ridiculous Beliefs in the Christian Delusion Mudhammam 78 16977 December 22, 2014 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Challenge: Name Even 10 Beliefs in the Christian Delusion which are NOT Ridiculous Whateverist 33 5335 December 21, 2014 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Paul's Beliefs FallentoReason 61 21924 August 1, 2012 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: FallentoReason
  Basic Christian Beliefs Loading Please Wait 13 5607 March 7, 2012 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Mike Huckabee Says He Wants Americans To Be Indoctrinated At Gunpoint reverendjeremiah 37 8336 April 10, 2011 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Beliefs FadingW 31 8699 February 20, 2011 at 8:47 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
Bug Questioning Beliefs ShnogTrip 33 10843 August 8, 2010 at 8:33 am
Last Post: tackattack