Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beliefs
Beliefs
http://xkcd.com/154/
"People need heroes. They don't need to know how he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy. The real story would just hurt sales, and dampen the spirits of our customers." - Mythology for Profit
RE: Beliefs
And that is something I fear for the US. Religion and government as one.....A disturbing thought.
[Image: YAYBOOMAVAtAR1_zpse61010be.gif]
The feeble mind will pray to god, the feeble mind will fall.
It could be worse.... every US senator could be a dunce Sleepy

But I don't suppose that would be much different from how things are now 0.o
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
US senators believing in stupid things would stop being a problem if people would stop voting for them.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
That would require having a public educated enough to know better.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
The one thing that will save us is that xtianity is fragmented into lots of stupid beliefs and they all hate each other as much as they hate us.
(February 8, 2011 at 6:54 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The one thing that will save us is that xtianity is fragmented into lots of stupid beliefs and they all hate each other as much as they hate us.

You are wrong about denominations hating each other as much as they hate atheist. Most christians do not hate atheist, you base your opinion on a few misguided individuals and that is not a very intelligent way of finding truth, I thought you were better than that, you are starting to show your true self Min. Your hatered of christians has no foundation when you single out the few and apply it to the many.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(February 10, 2011 at 10:33 am)Godschild Wrote:
(February 8, 2011 at 6:54 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The one thing that will save us is that xtianity is fragmented into lots of stupid beliefs and they all hate each other as much as they hate us.

You are wrong about denominations hating each other as much as they hate atheist. Most christians do not hate atheist, you base your opinion on a few misguided individuals and that is not a very intelligent way of finding truth, I thought you were better than that, you are starting to show your true self Min. Your hatered of christians has no foundation when you single out the few and apply it to the many.

But they still hate each other do they?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Over 200 years ago, they disliked each other enough to agree to a separation of church and state because they didn't want one or the other to have too much power....
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(February 10, 2011 at 11:52 am)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(February 10, 2011 at 10:33 am)Godschild Wrote:

But they still hate each other do they?

No we do not, we do have a difference of opinion about some parts of the Bible, on salvation most all believe the same thing except for a minor issue or two. Most of you have had an affiliaition with the Catholic church or knows someone who has, you base your opinions on their beliefs and I can say that they in no way represent the beliefs of most protestent churches.
(February 10, 2011 at 11:57 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Over 200 years ago, they disliked each other enough to agree to a separation of church and state because they didn't want one or the other to have too much power....

You need to study your history. What they did not want was another Church of England situation, the church has no buisness running a goverment and the goverment has no buisness trying to run the churches.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What beliefs would we consider reasonable for a self proclaimed Christian to hold? Whateverist 853 71785 April 16, 2018 at 4:26 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  So It Seems That This Jesus Freak Corporation's Religious Beliefs Only Go So Far Minimalist 11 2167 July 6, 2017 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Interesting survey of Evangelical beliefs in USA Bunburryist 33 5599 October 11, 2016 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Indoctrinated Beliefs Aractus 2 1221 May 9, 2015 at 5:05 am
Last Post: Aractus
  The 10 Most Ridiculous Beliefs in the Christian Delusion Mudhammam 78 16971 December 22, 2014 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Challenge: Name Even 10 Beliefs in the Christian Delusion which are NOT Ridiculous Whateverist 33 5313 December 21, 2014 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Paul's Beliefs FallentoReason 61 21921 August 1, 2012 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: FallentoReason
  Basic Christian Beliefs Loading Please Wait 13 5593 March 7, 2012 at 12:13 am
Bug Questioning Beliefs ShnogTrip 33 10832 August 8, 2010 at 8:33 am
Last Post: tackattack
Shocked Anybody up for an arguement against my Christian beliefs? Ramen Noodles 46 19309 March 12, 2010 at 1:18 am