Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questioning Beliefs
Bug 
Questioning Beliefs
(rewritten)

Have you questioned your beliefs? Do you continue to question them? I don't know if there is a God, but I can admit when things just don't add up. I can admit that I don't know. Can you admit that you don't know? Or has your God threatened you if you do?

To me, one of the worst things about Christianity is that it requires faith. You are rewarded for ignorance. If you blindly believe, you get to go to heaven. If you believe your God is real and other people's Gods aren't, you get to go to heaven. If you believe that the bible, despite its many holes and contradictions, is the word of God, and that Christianity is the one and only true religion, you get to go to heaven.

Religions aren't made to change. Religions aren't made to be questioned. Science doesn't have all of the answers, and no one claims that it does. But when proven wrong, it at least can be changed.

I don't know if the big bang theory is correct, but it's more believable to me than a being that created everything out of nothing, has always existed, is all-loving (even though he allows evil and suffering to exist, and sends people to a hell that he could've chosen not to create, for something he could've prevented), is all-knowing (even though he couldn't or chose not
to prevent the fall of humanity and the suffering afterwards), is all-powerful (even though he can't or chooses not to destroy the devil), is everywhere (including the room where
a child is getting raped and killed).
"If you've got a religious belief that withers in the face of observations of the natural world, you ought to rethink your beliefs — rethinking the world isn't an option" - P.Z. Myers
RE: Questioning Beliefs
Quote:To me, one of the worst things about Christianity is that you aren't supposed to question or disbelieve it.

Actually, you aren't even supposed to think about questioning it!

Quote: It rewards ignorance

It demands ignorance.

And they're right. Because when people start to think about this shit they leave the church and that dries up the revenue stream. Can't have that.
Quote:Actually, you aren't even supposed to think about questioning it!

That depends on with whom you speak.

At the Catholic school I attended I was taught only a fool never doubts or questions their faith.

There is an experience in Christian (and other religions) called 'the dark night of the soul' which describes the agony of doubt many believers endure. Many do not recover and become atheist or agnostic.

Quote:Dark night of the soul is a metaphor used to describe a phase in a person's spiritual life, marked by a sense of loneliness and desolation. It is referenced by spiritual traditions throughout the world, but in particular by Christianity.

Quote:Saint Thérèse of Lisieux, a 19th-century French Carmelite, underwent similar experience. Centering on doubts about the afterlife, she reportedly told her fellow nuns, "If you only knew what darkness I am plunged into."[1]
While this crisis is presumed to be temporary in nature, it may be extended. The "dark night" of Saint Paul of the Cross in the 18th century lasted 45 years, from which he ultimately recovered. Mother Teresa of Calcutta, according to letters released in 2007, "may be the most extensive such case on record", lasting from 1948 almost up until her death in 1997, with only brief interludes of relief between.[2] Franciscan Friar Father Benedict Groeschel, a friend of Mother Teresa for a large part of her life, claims that "the darkness left" towards the end of her life.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_night_of_the_soul
Have you questioned your beliefs? yes
Do you continue to question them? yes
Can you admit that you don't know? yes
Or has your God threatened you if you do? no
Science doesn't have all of the answers and no one claims that it does. Correct
When proven wrong, it at least can be changed and improved. As can religion
To me, one of the worst things about Christianity is that you aren't supposed to question or disbelieve it. I wasn't in fact encouraged to question, challenge and believe as I saw fit
It rewards ignorance. Not how I was taught but society and secular law does indeed regularly reward ignorance
It controls people. No people control people, a Rock doesn't control anything unless it's used to bash in someone's head, but media, buisness and governements definately try and control people
It's taught as the one and only truth. Only by those who worship out of fear, which I wasn't.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(July 31, 2010 at 2:48 am)ShnogTrip Wrote: (rewritten)

Have you questioned your beliefs? Do you continue to question them? I don't know if there is a God, but I can admit when things just don't add up. I can admit that I don't know. Can you admit that you don't know? Or has your God threatened you if you do?

To me, one of the worst things about Christianity is that it requires faith. You are rewarded for ignorance. If you blindly believe, you get to go to heaven. If you believe your God is real and other people's Gods aren't, you get to go to heaven. If you believe that the bible, despite its many holes and contradictions, is the word of God, and that Christianity is the one and only true religion, you get to go to heaven.

Religions aren't made to change. Religions aren't made to be questioned. Science doesn't have all of the answers, and no one claims that it does. But when proven wrong, it at least can be changed.

I don't know if the big bang theory is correct, but it's more believable to me than a being that created everything out of nothing, has always existed, is all-loving (even though he allows evil and suffering to exist, and sends people to a hell that he could've chosen not to create, for something he could've prevented), is all-knowing (even though he couldn't or chose not to prevent the fall of humanity and the suffering afterwards), is all-powerful (even though he can't or chooses not to destroy the devil), is everywhere (including the room where a child is getting raped and killed).

Questioning what one believes is a natural occurrence, in time it either causes one to give up a belief or strenghtens ones belief for me it's the latter.
God does not threaten anyone, He has given choices and it's up to us to decide what to believe He does not make one to choose one way or the other.
Faith is one of the beautiful parts of christianity, faith has nothing to do with ignorance, ignorance and rejection go hand in hand, faith and acceptance walk together.
The underlined above is only a partial truth, you can believe those and still not have heaven as your reward. You must trust in Christ for your salvation to inherit the kingdom of heaven.
Religions are constantly being changed by man and man is developing new religions all the time. Christianity on the other hand has no need to be changed it is mankinds resolution to his sin and it's a very simple and complete resolution so there is no need for change.
Why would anyone trust a being that hasn't always existed, the above in red shows us that God is a loving God, He did not cause the suffering, He does not choose to send you to hell that's your choice. You seem to think that God can disobey His on will because He is omniscient, you seem to think God should be willing to do anything because He is omnipotent, and you are correct He sees all that occures because He is omnipresent. God will not go against the free will given to man, to do that would go against His nature and He can't do that. If God were to interfer in your life over one thing then what would stop Him from interferring in every part of your life turning you into His little robot, what kind of life would that be. If you are like the rest of mankind you will get very irritated when someone tries to interfer with your life. I know it's hard if not impossible to understand why God allows terrible things to happen especially when they happen to you and the only thing I know to say is this, God who is omniscient,omnipotent and omnipresent should be trusted to know what is right for His creation. I really wish I could know all the answers to all the difficult questions but maybe it's best that I do not since I'm not omniscient,omnipotent or omnipresent.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
QUESTION EVERYTHING! Life is boring if you don't!!!
Quote:When proven wrong, it at least can be changed and improved. As can religion

why, tack....you are becoming such a heretic!
(August 5, 2010 at 1:14 am)Godschild Wrote: god does not threaten anyone

Perhaps. But christian dogma most certainly does. “Our way or you will burn in hell!!”
Sound familiar to anyone?

And please dont tell me thats a "Choice". So is putting a gun to someones head and saying "Give me your money or i shoot you". Choice? I think not.
God doesn't threaten anyone?

Exodus 20
5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me.

Just sayin.
(August 5, 2010 at 9:18 am)AnunZi Wrote:
(August 5, 2010 at 1:14 am)Godschild Wrote: god does not threaten anyone

Perhaps. But christian dogma most certainly does. “Our way or you will burn in hell!!”
Sound familiar to anyone?

And please dont tell me thats a "Choice". So is putting a gun to someones head and saying "Give me your money or i shoot you". Choice? I think not.

God nor the church forces you to do anything you do not want, you do truly have a choice. The gun does not take away the choice it's the evil person holding the gun. God is not evil He will not hold you hostage.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What beliefs would we consider reasonable for a self proclaimed Christian to hold? Whateverist 853 71781 April 16, 2018 at 4:26 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  So It Seems That This Jesus Freak Corporation's Religious Beliefs Only Go So Far Minimalist 11 2167 July 6, 2017 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Interesting survey of Evangelical beliefs in USA Bunburryist 33 5598 October 11, 2016 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Indoctrinated Beliefs Aractus 2 1221 May 9, 2015 at 5:05 am
Last Post: Aractus
  The 10 Most Ridiculous Beliefs in the Christian Delusion Mudhammam 78 16966 December 22, 2014 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Challenge: Name Even 10 Beliefs in the Christian Delusion which are NOT Ridiculous Whateverist 33 5308 December 21, 2014 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  How a questioning mind mucks up the bible story. Brakeman 1 1235 March 22, 2014 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Paul's Beliefs FallentoReason 61 21921 August 1, 2012 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: FallentoReason
  Evangelicals are now questioning the morality of Birth Control Justtristo 9 4993 July 5, 2012 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Basic Christian Beliefs Loading Please Wait 13 5593 March 7, 2012 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Minimalist